Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2002, 12:55 PM   #1
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Thumbs up Amazon Stats - BIG Improvement!

I'm so darn happy! Amazon has made major improvements to their associate's stats page. Take a look! :bouncy:

I'm still muddling around trying to figure out how best to use the information. Perhaps some of you more stats oriented types would like to elaborate?
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
Timo

The report comparing conversion rates is interesting and useful to use as a benchmark, but you can't use it as the only tool when making a decision.

While I am not a stats junkie at first glance, there seems to be several things that have to be taken into account.

1) It measures the amazon conversion by tier, not by specific industry.

For instance if you are running a young teen site and you get say $1000.00 in sales a month, it may take tens of thousands of clicks to get them, since young teens tend not to have visa cards.
Compared to the teen industry you may be doing well, but vs the general industry in your tier, your conversion rate could be horrid.

2) It doesn't take into account the quality of user. (related to #1)

3) The type of site you have, or the way you manage your traffic can greatly affect the conversion rate, no matter what type of ad you use. We had an extremely poor conversion rate on our main site with Amazon. We created a spin off site to handle all of our affiliate programs, and now enjoy a 10% conversion rate with amazon (unique visitor).
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #3
joma

Look at the overall conversion rate for "Web Services (Cart)" [which I assume is the "add to cart" button]: 15.45%! Whoa Nelly!
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:48 PM   #4
alteredskate

Timo, are you going to email those comments to them? Right below the toolbar it says:

"Did you find this tool helpful? Send us your thoughts - assoc-
data@amazon.com "
alteredskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #5
Timo

yes I saw that! This is a fairly new program is it not? If so it will be interesting to watch this trend over time. If not I may just give it a small test, but really, I cant complain about the ratio I am getting now and would hate to mess it up.

Do you get the 15% commish with the web services (cart)?

alteredskate: Yes I'll be dropping amazon a line.

Last edited by Timo; 10-02-2002 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:40 PM   #6
joma

There's another recent thread about this, but it looks like you don't have the chance of earning 15% if you use the "add to cart" button.

The problem is that the 15% commission is based on when a direct-linked item is added to the cart. If they applied the same rule here, affiliates would end up collecting 15% every time. That would be great for affiliates, but I'm sure Amazon can't afford it, given their large discounts and free shipping.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
kryton

Have any of you guys or gals had your stats kick in yet for this quater? My last update is still the 30th of sept.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:36 PM   #8
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Is 'Your Tier Average' the average from all assiciates combained? I also got 15.45% for the COOL Shoping cart option!!! No, they havn't updated for October 1st, yet, but that will probably change extremely soon.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:32 PM   #9
Timo

" 'Your Tier Average' the average from all assiciates combained""

Yes I would assume that the tier average would be the average off all associates within that tier. It will be neat to see what the difference in conversion rates are between tiers.

What will be interesting to watch is how often and drastic the tier averages change as sites move up the tier ladder over time.

no stats yet.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:08 AM   #10
sal2002

How come people from my site never buy from amazon ?
sal2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:45 AM   #11
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Sal, it would help if you posted the website. Otherwise we can only speculate about the conversion issue.

My experience with amazon, CJ, and art.com has been that banners don't convert...products do. And the products have to be very closely tied in not only to the theme of the page they're placed on but also the genre and tone of the website. My sites are all humor related, so products have to be fun, silly or useless and decorative. I try to approach choosing products using the same mindset I use when creating content pages. If visitors like my sites they're more likely to be interested in the products I've chosen.

It's a lot of work to find products that tie in but it's worth it. For the first time in a very long time I'm consistently earning more than my web sites cost me. Not a lot, mind you, but enough to make the effort worthwhile.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:32 AM   #12
Timo

Sal here are a couple of general comments, as I dont know your domain.

1. I have had the same experience as Rhea when it comes to conversions. Banners just don't work by themselves. All it does is give the advertiser free branding.

I have had some success combining banner ads with product links, in order to convey a message, or promote a special offer.

For instance, I may have a page with amazon product links and I would add the free shipping on orders over $25.00 banner.

2. Get to know your audience. Sometimes sites will cater to different target groups, all looking for the same information, but for a different purpose. For instance if you run a site that has activities for kids, not only are you attracting moms looking to keep their kids busy, you may also attract elementary teachers and daycare workers looking for information for lesson planning.

3. Do your users spend money? If no other affiliate programs are working, it could be that you have low quality traffic, and need to upgrade.

4. Price Point. If your users spend money, do they spend it on high priced items or low priced/bargain items? If your site caters to the latter then putting high priced books may not be the answer.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:47 AM   #13
joma

Agree with Rhea about product links. Relevant, interesting links are crucial.

If you look at the stats, homepage links have a much better conversion rate than product links (7% to about 2-3%). The problem is that not even one person in a thousand will click on a plain banner or logo, while product links can get a remarkably high clickthrough rate.

And in my experience, the harder you push, the fewer clickthroughs you will get. So for example if you put a product link at the top center of the page next to a flashing arrow, expect a lower response rate than if you integrate a link naturally into the core section of your page. This is one of the great keys to affiliate success, but I don't mind giving it away here because nobody heeds good advice anyways.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:40 PM   #14
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

That Shopping Cart option's GREAT. Got 36 clicks yesterday with six items ordered from it vs nine items total from 2,249 clicks!!!! My Shopping Cart has a conversion of 8.82%, with the next highest being 0.23% for text links.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #15
Edwin

I couldn't find a simple explanation of the Shopping Cart option or how to set it up anywhere in the Amazon Affiliate site. Can you pls give me a few pointers? Thanks!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote