Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2001, 08:53 AM   #1
coolshop

Default No more highlights for unread threads

I am trying to be open minded before deciding whether I like the new board, despite my first reactions that a) it is too busy looking and b) it is harder to find the threads that I want to read.

But, I have o say that I definitely miss the 'highlighting' of any categories that have new messages in them since I last visited. Am I missing this? I *really* miss that feature.

Thanks

coolshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:29 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

That feature's still present.

You'll notice that the little "tick" icons next to each forum light up gold when their are new posts within a given forum, and remain grey when there are not. In addition, within each forum, the threads that have received new posts since your last visit are highlighted by arrow icons that take you directly to the first new post within that thread.

It's possible that this wasn't evident to you on your first visit since everything is new - and so there's nothing to differentiate between now and your last session.

HTH.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:35 AM   #3
coolshop

Default amystry

aha!

I had not noticed that -- thanks Czar!
coolshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 09:39 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

No worries. I'm still learning the ropes myself, but thus far I've found that, as the catchy tune goes: "anything UBB could do, vB can do better".

It just takes a little getting used to, that's all.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 11:35 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

coolshop,

Great comments. Thanks much. My biggest concern is how members adjust to such a radical change. In some cases I moved things around like the icons in each post so they were like UBB.

Icons are much more sophiticated in vB and the yellow on the home page for new posts actually works

Forum display icons also have what is called a "dot" icon which indicates the members participation in that thread. Even if it's had no new posts and is number 20 in the list.

Another tip: When I'm in member mode and not admin mode I just subscribe to a thread. Note: You can also subscribe to an entire Forum. You don't have to post to the thread to subscribe. You can opt-out anytime you wish and the email notice has the links. The next time I return to the BB I go directly to the Memeber Control Panel first. At the bottom it will list all the threads I'm subscribed to with a link to the last post. After I read all my subscribed threads I browse the forum for posts that interest me.

So you might even want to use the following as your bookmark for the BB:

http://66.33.83.213/forums/usercp.php?s=

Good Luck
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote