Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Interesting pop blocker articles.

I always enjoy tweaking the pop window "chicken littles" who continue to claim (for 6 years now) that "pop windows don't work" and/or "pop windows are dead"

http://news.com.com/Can%27t+stop+the...?tag=nefd.lede

"The Web sites that sold or disseminated the most pop-up ads in the month of April include CNN.com, ESPN.com, Excite.com, Weather.com, and The New York Times." All reputable, large, long established websites.

I won't quote the entire article...but suffice it to say that pops are alive and well, and will remain alive and well, because...quite simply...they work.

Late addition!
Hypocrite alert: Yahoo distributes a pop blocker, but runs pops on Yahoo personals.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
LaNMaN
Member.

Default Re: Interesting pop blocker articles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert from SI
I always enjoy tweaking the pop window "chicken littles" who continue to claim (for 6 years now) that "pop windows don't work" and/or "pop windows are dead"

http://news.com.com/Can%27t+stop+the...?tag=nefd.lede

"The Web sites that sold or disseminated the most pop-up ads in the month of April include CNN.com, ESPN.com, Excite.com, Weather.com, and The New York Times." All reputable, large, long established websites.

I won't quote the entire article...but suffice it to say that pops are alive and well, and will remain alive and well, because...quite simply...they work.

Late addition!
Hypocrite alert: Yahoo distributes a pop blocker, but runs pops on Yahoo personals.
I disagree, Robert. Microsoft has indicated that they will begin blocking pops by default in XP SP2. If this is the case, we will see the volume of pops served decline steadily over a period of about 6 months (the time it takes most organizations to upgrade). Even though the format is lucrative for publishers, nobody can evade the will of Microsoft.

LaNMaN
LaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

>>>
Sites including Netscape and MSN Money use overlay advertisements in lieu of pop-ups.
>>>

Looks like Microsoft found their own way to get around their po blocker.

Smart advertisers will get around Micro$oft's blocker as well.

Nature finds a way.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Jokerman

Well, I just love the irony of those pop-up window ads for pop-up blockers.

About two thrids of the pops on my main site are pop-under windows to my newer sites. That expedient is an excellent means of getting high volume traffic to a new site instantly. Plus I make more selling them cell media content, etc, on the second site than I'd make from giving those pops to random ads on a network. Especially since most networks counts as little as your pops as they can get away with.
Jokerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
jnestor

When news of IE blocking pops first surfaced I speculated that people would find away to bypass the blocking within 2 weeks of IE being released. Of course I was wrong. It hasn't been released and already the code to bypass the blocking is available.

Of course there's the question of do you want to force pops on people who go out of their way to avoid them. If the answer is yes, the technology is there.

To make further wildly obvious predictions - if Microsoft changes IE to prevent the current workarounds the bypassing will improve to still get the pops served.

I don't actually expect Microsoft to work hard to make their pop-blocker effective. Afterall, Microsoft (unlike Google) doesn't have much of an interest in blocking pops. They're just avoiding being bypassed by Netscape. (and MSN being bypassed by EarthLink)
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #6
GSE-Media

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert from SI
Looks like Microsoft found their own way to get around their po blocker.
Robert, with all due respect, I don't think replacing something is the same as bypassing it. The difference between pops and layered ads is significant.
GSE-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
levik

The only significance is they are harder to close and harder to block. Layer ads are more annoying than pops, since it's really up to the advertiser to decide what you can do with them short of leaving the page.

I can always close a popup, or send it to the background to look at later, or move it out of the way to look at content it's coveing up. With layer ads, we are at the mercy of the developers to determine what's "allowed". If someone decides that you should look at a flashing ad for 30 seconds before seeing the content underneath, your only options in this case will be to leave the page, or to **** it up and watch the ad.

I loved the ability to block pops for the last 2 years. It was easy enough for anyone who really cared and knew what they were doing. I use Mozilla-based browsers, and have not seen a pop in months. Now that everyone is getting blocking from their software updates without asking for it, the ad networks will have no choice but to migrate to something more intrusive. Well, there is another choice - to give up a highly lucrative revenue stream, but I think we all know the odds of that happening.
levik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #8
techguy

To me there are two basic types of advertising.

The first i call "intruder" advertising where it some marketer who doesn't offer you anything trying to sell thier stuff. Like spam is the ultimate intruder type of marketing, the spammer is not paying for you to have email they put nothing on the table. Also telemarkets don't advertise in lieu of paying your phone bill.

Then there is the other type of marketing which i call "agreed on" marketing where you agree to see ads instead of paying some fee like with Network TV or obviously on the interent with Banner ads (which by the way some these blockers try to block banners) and popups. To me commercials "pop up" way too often interupting my show but this is the price of free TV.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:58 AM   #9
Max

Popups? Haven't really seen them in a few years. Looking at Mozilla 1.7RC3 I see they have support to block mouseover pop-ups. Not that I have encountered these yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnestor
Of course there's the question of do you want to force pops on people who go out of their way to avoid them.
Exactly. I'd rather be completely blocked from a site than to be forced to see popups. Then I know to look for an alternative source. There are always alternatives to be found on virtually every topic. And now with RSS/Atom I can get content directly without browsing.

I do agree with Robert from SI on these hypocrites. This great editorial on Broadbandreports sums it up nicely http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/45159 It's about spyware hypocrites but idea is the same.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote