Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2000, 10:07 AM   #1
Even Steven

Question Counting Unique Visitors

I imported my .log file (for May 30) into MS Access and wrote a query on the C-IP field to show all unique records, and got a count of 4,650 visitors.

I then ran a log analyzer program, OpenWebScope (shareware), on the same .log file, and it gives me a count of 3,305.

Am I missing something? It is correct to assume that each unique occurence of an IP address represents a unique visitor? Does anyone know how a log analyzer counts uniques?

Steven
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2000, 07:27 PM   #2
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

some count a unique visitor as one ip a day, some one ip a month, some knock of the digits after the last period in that ip, etc, etc. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2000, 01:19 PM   #3
Even Steven

Unhappy

After some research, I think I found an explanation.

If you any of you have worked with the raw server logs, particularly the W3C Extended Log File Format, there is a field in there labeled, "c-ip". This stores the unique IP address of the visitor.

I learned that if another website has linked to an image file on your site, your server will record the other site's visitor's IP address when that file is requested. What you'll see on your log file, is that user's IP address, and the file that was requested (usually a .gif or. jpg). That user should not count as one of your uniques, simply because he/she did not view one of your pages. Most log analyzers seems to take this into consideration.

To get a correct count of users, you must write a query that counts all unique IP addresses, BUT ONLY includes those where a page was requested (.htm, .html, .asp).

Steven
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote