Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2001, 05:36 AM   #1
wly

Default What types of promotion yields the highest CR?

What type of promotion do you guys use? I am looking for ways to promote a site that has the highest conversion per visitor. I am not looking for the best way to drive traffic. Anyone had any success stories to tell with online classifieds?
wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 02:53 PM   #2
Drastic

Online classifieds are largely a waste of time, in my experience.

Search engines and directories are a great way to get targeted traffic.
Drastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 10:25 AM   #3
FocaJohnL

Hi Wly,

Isn't that the holy grail of online advertising? What traffic offers the best conversation ratio?

Unfortunately, traffic varies from place to place, as do conversion ratios, so it's not as simple as saying, "only buy banner ads" or "only buy skyscraper ads" -- it just will not hold true. (Well, email seems to have a higher activity rate, but I'm biased! hee hee)

What does tend to hold true is that targeted advertising will result in your best conversion ratio. Pick advertising on sites that have the appropriate surfer demographic for you, and you will get the best conversions. Selling bowling balls? Check out the rates on those bowling sites. Drastic's right -- search engines and directories are a great place to start along that line, either in terms of getting in those places, or finding sites in those places.

Other than that, there really isn't a magical formula to pick out the best CR advertising. Just test, test, test, and pick the ones that make you money.
FocaJohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 07:33 AM   #4
wly

John,
Where can I buy the cheapest newsletter ads? What rates does Focalex offer advertisers and do i have to pay like CPm or CPC?
wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 05:07 PM   #5
besimple

wly! I'm not that sure about the rates of focalex but personally i would choose the path to find relevent sites myself, and see if they have a newsletter, most will do

Then negotiate a personal rate with the webmaster. There are a few many large site webmasters here too, who i am sure you can get very decently priced advertising rate based on cpm and they'll make sure to help your campaign be a success (only coz ur a fellow Geek) .

By finding newsletters yourself, you'll gain the experience, be able to experiment with different newsletters, keep well in your budget and in the process enjoy your self
besimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:49 AM   #6
FocaJohnL

Hi Wly,

The advice to find like-sites that have newsletters of their own is good -- it's perhaps the best way to ensure targeted traffic. As to methods of compensation (CPM/CPC/CPA) you can ask for whatever you want -- just realize that you might not get it. Otherwise, you might want to seek out ad brokers, who specialize in tracking down targeted newsletters and advertising space for resale.

Focalex doesn't run newsletters; we run direct mailings (i.e., your ad is the entire message). You can get rates on our site. As we are offering direct mailings for you rather than a text ad in a newsletter, our rates are naturally higher than newsletter advertising.

Good luck!
FocaJohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 11:49 PM   #7
WildComputer

My opinion:

When
1. it doesn't look like an ad
2. it's targetted - a topic that the prospect is interested in
3. it's highly trusted information

For example, a personal recommendation from an ezine which is trusted by its subscribers.

An ezine which merits it's subscribers trust will of course only recommend products that the owner truly believes in. So you need a good product, and probably to give away some free copies
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote