Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2001, 12:31 PM   #1
wesse

Question charge backs

Please share information on your charge back experiences, I mean cases when your commissions at an affiliate program drop.

I have been advertising several personals/dating related programs for a while but have not had much problem with charge backs so far. Last month however I have experienced it several times. It's pretty annoying:-( One site manager I contacted responded like this:

"I have had a look at your reversals and these are caused by Credit Card Fraud. These can take up to 6 months to come through and it seems that members you have referred unfortunately have been involved."

Is this normal? Charge back 6 months afterwards?
What are the rules of charging back?
How does this affect affiliates? Can anyone clarify?
Thanks in advance.
Andrea
wesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 12:40 PM   #2
theDirtiest

i have not experienced charge backs, but it sounds very fishy to me. you should ask for a specific case of fraud. Since when does credit card fraud take 6 months to "come thru" (what ever that means). isn't this usually found right away?
theDirtiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:24 PM   #3
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Credit card charges can legitimately be charged back up to 6 mos prior.

If the card holder says the transaction was made with out their authorization (and especially if it was an internet transaction with no signature on file) the issuing bank can and will chargeback the trasaction up to 6 mos later.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:22 PM   #4
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I sent an email to SI's credit card processor (and GeekTalk advertiser) JetBill and asked if they could send a representative here to answer some questions about chargebacks.

Chargebacks are a very serious issue and it'll be good to have some clear answers to know what we're dealing with.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:19 PM   #5
starluck

Andrea there was a time I was considering doing a site around personals/dating but some input from my banker made me reconsider.

They said that personals/dating businesses were amongst the riskiest for chargebacks. In particular, online personal/dating were specifically cited as having one of the highest chargeback rates of all e-business. So high in fact they now require a written letter from the cardholder okaying this type of transaction.

As far as it affects you as an affiliate, I think only the affiliate commission you made should be reversed. I don't think they should deduct chargeback fees from your commissions because it is their job to screen the card in the first place. If they are in this business they are probably already familiar with the risks.

Best of luck Andrea, you have a very nice site BTW
starluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 03:13 AM   #6
wesse

Starluck, your wrote: "personals/dating businesses are amongst the riskiest for chargebacks."
What do you think the for that reason is?

One online dating service owner I contacted responded that there's a rule that since there is no written contact concluded when someone pays for a service on the internet, the customer is entitled to request back the amount he/she has paid for the online service 6 months prior. Do you know more about this rule? Where is it written exactly?

I started to investigate to learn more about this and got this email forwarded, originally written by a credit card company:
"Since transactions are not accompanied by a signature, a customer could demand a charge back regardless of the reason. Since Internet transactions do not involve signatures, we have no recourse to deny these diputes. This is the nature of e-commerce."

As far as I understand the reason for charge back can be:
- credit card fraud
- not enogh money in the cardholder's account
- consumer unsatisfaction (?)
anything else?

BTW
As to my experience, despite charge backs (which do not happen in over a very few % of the cases ) I believe that the online dating business is a good business and growing.
Andrea
wesse is offline   Reply With Quote