Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2001, 04:11 AM   #1
gallery

Default StartBlaze

Has anyone tried www.startblaze.com ?

If not have a look.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:16 AM   #2
Gracklor

Thumbs down

Your hit counter may spin, but with this system, the only people who are visiting your site are those who are trying to earn credits themselves. In other words, the only people who are "visiting" your site are those who don't care about it. That sounds like some extremely un-targeted traffic, in my book. You could only profit from that if you stuck pop-ups and/or banners on the main page. But this type of traffic would be worthless is you only promoted CPA/CPS deals. (Even for my site--a humor site--I need visitors to penetrate at least a level or two in order for me to benefit monetarily. )

In fact, I'm a little shocked at Aesop. Over the years, they've usually had their heads on at least kinda straight. But I really don't see how you could get any targetted traffic from Startblaze.

But maybe that is the point. If you have a site that can really grab someone's attention and pull them into the site and/or you can generate income on the first page, Startblaze may be a bit helpful. But if you need people to actually surf your site or the people using Startblaze are only concerned about their own sites and don't check out anyone else's, this method of promotion will stink. Big time.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:33 AM   #3
emailer

Thumbs down

This seems to be a 1:6 visit exchange; not a good ratio. IMO it would take a huge number of referrals for this to work.

Last edited by emailer; 08-24-2001 at 05:24 AM.
emailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:15 AM   #4
Strider

Sounds like a technique that would have worked when traffic was the only thing that mattered. Now that everyone has gotten a little smarter and sponsors are looking for quality over quantity, I can't see the benefit of this service.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:59 AM   #5
Knut

I was also surprised when Aesop started this service :-)

I agree with your comments on StartBlaze, and wouldn't want to use them myself, but among all the negative comments I've also heard one "positive" from a guy who, to his surprise, was able to convert well to his webmaster newsletter with the traffic he was getting through StartBlaze.

No matter what, I can only see StartBlaze working to some extenct with webmaster-related sites (specifically webmasters looking for free ways to promote their site).

For sites on any other topic I can't see how it's worth the time spent. (And I personally wouldn't want to spend time using it to get traffic to my webmaster-related sites either)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:40 AM   #6
gallery

Yes I think you're all right.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 08:29 AM   #7
bradc

I've had about 600 hits from startblaze and about 75 of them visited another page after that first hit. I thought that was pretty good.

------------------------------------------
www.ExtraLargeTV.com
------------------------------------------
bradc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #8
sianews

I just started today and got 7 firends to sign up under me. So far I have 7 hits. I'll let you know how it works out.
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 04:02 PM   #9
dgeer

Default Maybe with a general interest site

Hi,

Other than maybe a very general interest site, I cannot see StartBlaze working well.

And 6:1 That's not good at all.

The idea, I always thought, is to get targeted traffic.

Anyway, if it works for you, go for it.

Last edited by dgeer; 08-06-2001 at 04:07 PM.
dgeer is offline   Reply With Quote