Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2001, 01:59 AM   #1
hobbnet

Talking Established E-commerce site....Needs fresh ideas

Hey all,
I am working for an established ecommerce site (http://www.pwave.com) now adays and I believe we get around 2,000 visitors per day but of course we are always looking to increase that amount.

We are already listed in all the main SEs (Yahoo!, GoTo, Google, etc.) and have pretty good rankings for many of our keywords. We are currently opening a Yahoo! Store to try and get more business. We are also planning on having a contest to help bring in more visitors. I also plan on getting our site listed on sites that are directories to contest/sweepstakes/giveaway sites. Except this may be little hard cause we don't plan on having a "Links Section" for reciprocal links.

Have any extra ideas?

Anyone have any experience with opening an eBay store? What have the results been?

Thanks for any help
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 10:26 AM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

It sounds like you have done very well on the promotional effort of this store. I can only recommend a few more strategies to increase traffic:

- Develop content sites with good content related to your products. Design these pages to list well in search engines however do not design them solely with this purpose (they must inform the consumer). Send traffic from these sites to your primary sales site through in context links. Also, make sure you have some sort of opt-in E-Mail list on these sites.

- If possible, start an affiliate program.

To me, it sounds like you have done just about everything you can do with this site as far as promotion goes. Thus, I would recommend you move on and create another store and work to build it up as well as your current store.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:16 AM   #3
dgeer

Hi hobbnet,

I have a couple free resources about Internet auctions, one deals only with eBay. However, I do not want to be accused of spamming, so please send me an email, and I'll tell you where to get the info.

Last edited by dgeer; 08-08-2001 at 07:22 AM.
dgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 08:34 AM   #4
Marty Winston

Lightbulb

I'm looking at the site now and there are tons of things you can do to get many more people there, bring them back more often, turn more visits into purchasing visits, add new revenue venues and get more press coverage.

At the risk of sounding like a spammer, I'm not going to tell you all of them, because I make a pretty good buck by performing or advising on many of them. But I can give you a few clues.

Hint #1: How many times per week do you visit geek/talk? COnsider the effects of a (moderated) forum on your site.

Hint #2: Where are the thong-clad Ken & Barbie surfer people pictures? A good top-of-fold people picture gets people a lot more involved in any site.

Hint #3: Figure out some basis for giving out a "door prize" for people who visit your site. You can make them register a name, surface address, phone, birthdate (COPPA - can't collect data on kids) and e-mail address to be eligible. On each visit (or the first each day, your option), pop up the current door prize (and either tell them that this visit earns them an entry, or tell them that it could if they register). Figure you'll award each prize once some number of uniques view it, then move onto the next. Choose something related to the category but not among your merchandise - maybe a cooler or a radio or something.

Hint #4: Go to 600-pixel width

Hint #5: Get a digital camera and some lights, build a sweep table and do a tabletop group shot of your featured items so they can all be in a top-of-fold photo instead of your way-down-page postage stamp shots.

Depending on your available budget, I can privately suggest other activities and/or resources.
Marty Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:02 AM   #5
Marty Winston

So what have you decided to do?
Marty Winston is offline   Reply With Quote