Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Intersabre

Default Golala.com – [PR6] well established site, heavy traffic

URL: http://www.golala.com

Age of site: 20 months old (originally started in November 2003)

TRAFFIC: 2500-3000 visits/day
http://img331.imageshack.us/my.php?i...balizer5kj.gif

REVENUE::
HurricaneDigitalMedia [leaderboard and box] - $75+/mo

HDM is considered by many to be a second/third tier network. A lot of this is because they are new. I’m sure many of us can remember when CasaleMedia was like this and now their rates are superior to FastClick.

Revenue could easily be improved if the new owner was able to get the site in a network with higher rates.

Here are the month’s stats up to the 16th:
http://img331.imageshack.us/my.php?i...almedia4ve.gif

Textlinks –

So far this month: $86.76
June: $337.36
April: $166.93
March: $704.52
http://img331.imageshack.us/my.php?image=adfuel3rx.gif

My broker’s commission is 30% plus listing/payment fees. Revenue was much higher in March because the site was a PR7 until the update in late April. The broker has a script installed to update the links so no work is required. I’d say adspace is only about 40% utilized. I would highly recommend keeping the broker, but the buyer could potentially increase this revenue by taking sales in-house.

Description: As you can see, this is a quality site. The site is almost two years old, PR 6 (www.prchecker.info) and is listed in DMOZ (http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=golala).

The site offers free forum hosting. This is nice because of two reasons:

1) User-generated content. I spend a negligible amount of time on the site; just checking stats every week or so and cashing checks. I took off the support system awhile over a year ago because I did not have much time.
2) A nice “moat” against competition. In my opinion, image hosting sites are poor because there are no barriers. Visitors are smart. They will go to the site with no watermarks, barely any ads, etc. (like I have done for this auction!). Image hosting is a difficult genre to succeed in, as it’s a race to the bottom for publishers to attract and retain visitors.

Free forum hosting is not nearly as cutthroat because users must restart their forums if they switch providers. Not trying to sound evil here – just pointing out why the big forum providers haven’t been eaten alive by the newcomers, such as in image hosting.

The winner will get control of the server – LiquidWeb CPanel AMD Opteron 242, 2GB Memory, SCSI drive at $294/mo. The server is overkill as it was used to host other big MySQL sites. Golala was hosted fine in the past on a P4 with comparable traffic.

If the owner is looking to move the site, I think it would be a good idea to pay $50 or so for a server admin to move it. The DB is quite big (around 6 GB) and could prove to be a challenge for the novice/intermediate. The site itself is around 700 MB and has used about 10 gigs of bandwidth so far this month.

Possible improvements by the new owner include a new design, reimplementing some sort of support system and introducing phpBB hosting. Some MySQL optimization would also probably be beneficial.

Payment will be through escrow.com. We will split the fees. Please PM me with any questions.

Please start the bidding at $500 and with $100 increments.
Intersabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

intersabre, you posted a lot of useful information, but there is certain information that is required which isn't in your post.

Please edit your post to include the required information that isn't in your post.

Topic/Post Title (Short and descriptive):
Your name:
Your Email address:
URL of the site:
Age of site:
Traffic statistics (PageViews & Uniques ONLY):
Source of traffic:
Asking price:
Gross and net revenue per month (Total):
The specific source of your revenue (Names/Details for each. DO NOT post your Google AdSense data):
Copyright status of the content on the site:
Any other pertinent data:
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Sometimes I wish that I kept the domain name FreeBB.com, since you're absolutely right. Hosted communities are starting to become big business as user-generated content starts to move into the advertising mainstream.

What is the reason you're using a text link broker, rather than working with Google or Kanoodle? Do you find that this gentleman provides better returns, or was the site rejected from membership in AdSense and/or similar programs?

Please also post your name, email, source of traffic and any other pertinent data (such as licensing and maintenance costs associated with the software), as suggested by Larwee.

Thanks heaps and best of luck.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Sphosting

Hi I would like to buy your website. I sent you a private message with my bid.
Sphosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Intersabre

One thing I forgot to mention - the site is blocked from Google Adsense. The previous owner had all his sites banned (he sold it to me over a year ago). I tried adding my code but it just shows up as blank. I do realize this might hurt the selling price, but I do want to be upfront and honest. Yahoo is developing its own Adsense product, which could preform well as many forums by their nature are targeted.

Name: Alex
Email: To make things eaiser, please just PM me.
Source of traffic: Traffic is self-generating as users promote their own forums.
No licensing or maintence costs w/ the software.

I use a text link broker because he is much more familiar with the market and can utilize his contacts and knowledge. Time is also an issue, as I am a very busy person
Old 07-19-2005, 03:00 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Thank you sincerely for providing these additional details, Alex.

Members, since this is an auction-style sale, please update the thread with your bids rather than sending them via PM. This will avoid confusion for other prospective buyers. Thanks in advance.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #7
kams7ue

Ok. I start with the minimum bid (as mentioned by Alex)
$500
kams7ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
Sphosting

Hi he actually moved bids to site point, the next bid ammount their looking at is 1800.
Sphosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
Intersabre

Top bid is currently $1500
Old 08-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
ajiabs

Quote:
Originally posted by Intersabre
One thing I forgot to mention - the site is blocked from Google Adsense. The previous owner had all his sites banned (he sold it to me over a year ago). I tried adding my code but it just shows up as blank. I do realize this might hurt the selling price, but I do want to be upfront and honest. Yahoo is developing its own Adsense product, which could preform well as many forums by their nature are targeted.
Nice site. about teh adsense blocking issue. I bought a site taht was blocked from adsense. I just sent a mail to adsense tean explaining i just purchased the site and and unblock it. In couple days the site was back with adsense.

It was almost 6 months back. Not sure whats up nowadays.

Good luck with the sale.
ajiabs is offline   Reply With Quote