Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2002, 03:32 PM   #1
pgkooijman

Default Forum who's on thing

Hi,

LotR Plaza is going very good with a lot of new members daily and generally a lot of fun. A lot of members have been asking for a 'Who Is On' kinda thing where people can see how many members, which members and how many guests are on the plaza.

The Plaza specs:
Runs on ASP with an Access (soon to be SQLServer) database. Uses cookies for user identification.

I can provide more details once I know what is needed to be known. Does anybody have a clue on how I can throw this in? You can visit the plaza at: www.lotrplaza.com

Thanks,
pgkooijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
Dave-AHFB

Widexl has a script that can be used sitewide, and will list visitors, members, admins...

I may need to check into this one more

http://www.widexl.com/scripts/visito...ine/index.html

Dave
Dave-AHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:42 AM   #3
pgkooijman

It seems what I am looking for but is there a way to make sure it is before I spend $12? Any free options?
Old 01-18-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
sdarken

That script probably isn't what you want. It appears to be designed for Apache not IIS. Check out the more info page and see if you think I am reading that correctly.

Last edited by sdarken; 01-18-2002 at 11:57 AM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:19 PM   #5
Ted S

Your best bet is to run your own... assuming the site runs in ASP it should be very easy, if not your going to have to figure out how to include/ launch a asp script in every html file (something like ssi would work).

In your script fereance a mysql table... the table would have a list of every user or something and whenever a user logs in, the olast login field is udpated... every tim they click a link its updated again.... a simple query and you can get the results.

If thats a bit too complication then you probably are left with having to pay for an existing script but you may want ot check hotscripts.com just in case.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:45 AM   #6
pgkooijman

It think that might be an idea and would not be too difficult as the entire Plaza uses 1 include file which starts every file which containts some basic variables and the connection strings. The problem is more how it should work:

A User enters the plaza, his cookie is read, his name is added to a 'Who is online' table. This would be easy

Now how do I remove his name out of the table once he leaves? There is a logout function but most people dont use it, they just leave. Surely this will require Session variables or something like that.

Ideas?
Old 01-27-2002, 06:57 PM   #7
Guava

You could keep track of who's on using your table like idea. But instead of just putting their name in the file also store the date/time. Then on EVERY page it would check and see if "USERXX" is already in the list and if NOT then add their username and time and if it IS in the list then update the time. Also as it does this you could have it check to see if anyone's time is longer than 15 minutes or so ago and if so then they are not ON the plaza anymore and remove them from them list. Then just have ASP open the list and parse it and then just display the names. That'd work for registered people but you'd have to find a way to track the guests. Maybe having the ASP give them names like GUESTPLAZA_98u298j8 with a random key attached and setting that as a cookie so on subsequent pages it would see them as the same GUESTPLAZA_98u298j8 so it could track them. Then when the ASP parses the list for the who's online it would list the registered users and take anyone who's name contains GUESTPLAZA_ would then be a known guest and you could easily count them.

That might be a long way of doing it it'd work.
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote