Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2001, 11:42 AM   #1
MyopicRhino

Smile Recommendations for revenue sources?

Hi all. I've been spending the last several weeks reading through the threads here, and I wish I had found this site long ago. The information I've found has been most helpful, but I'm hoping I can get some specific recommendations/suggestions for our site.

The site (www.gamedev.net) is the leader in our genre. We have a highly targeted audience of game developers, primarily programmers, and generate arould 3 million monthly impressions. A year ago, after deciding gaming networks weren't paying us enough for ads (oh, that we could get those rates now), decided to start representing ourselves. We've had some success there, though not as much as we'd hoped. To fill unsold inventory, we went with Sonar, since we were using DART for banner management (big time overkill there). Sonar, like everyone else, had a hard time selling their inventory, and due to their excessively restrictive contract terms, I decided not to renew with them at the end of last month.

Right now, I'm looking for a replacement for Sonar. I've read the numerous posts about banner networks, and I'm still at a loss. Who are the best bets right now? I'm even willing to consider popups/behinds, as long as they're managed well.

Beyond that, do you have any other suggestions for revenue sources? We're already using Amazon, and we've done quite well with them, but I'm always open to options.

TIA

Dave
MyopicRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 09:08 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Welcome to Geek/Talk Dave http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm familiar with your site, and I've always held it in high regard.

Where GameDev differs from most gaming sites is obviously in its audience. Since your site serves professional and indie game developers, advertisers may assume that your visitors are better educated, and have higher incomes, than the visitors of other gaming destinations.

As a result of this, you could have luck with the premium ad networks (DoubleClick Select, Phase2Media, OneMediaPlace, Engage Business Media, FastClick, BlueFish Pacific etc)

You may also like to try the Electronics Boutique affiliate program:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/affiliates/default.asp
Since they offer a far greater range of high-end gaming and production gear than the consumer-oriented Amazon.com.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote