Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Arrow Free search engine advertising

I still think Dumbfind should use a different name. This thread covered the introduction of the Dumbfind search engine http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29914

Now Dumbfind is giving advertisers a chance to advertise for free, so I thought I would start a new thread related to that. The advertising is free as an introduction. Your ad will expire after 60 days. You aren't limited to just one free ad, but there are some restrictions. Again they came up with a strange name. It is called Adsonomy.

They say you advertise based on what people are looking for rather than needing to pick keywords.

Their technology is based on tags. They assign tags to the URLs in their index. Rather than advertising, some call this tagvertising.

Since this is different it might require a little additional information to help explain it and I'll provide links for that.

Dumbfind says their reason for the free offer is to introduce this to advertisers before they start charging for it. They say they might also continue a free advertising service after they start charging, but the free service would have restrictions.

With a new service from a new source, it is difficult to know what they will do or not do, or if they will be able to do everything that they promise to do.

It is mentioned that the tags must already exist in their database. They have the right to end this promotion at any time. They also reserve the right to change the terms and retroactively enforce the new terms.

There are people who are interested in trying something new and different, so I thought I would mention this to Geek/Talk members in case there are any who might be curious. If you try it, you can report how you feel about your experience.

Here are a few links to help you get a better idea of what this is all about and determine if you have any interest in it.

This is a link to this new Dumfind free advertising http://www.dumbfind.com/adsonomy/

This link is to the rules related to it http://www.dumbfind.com/adsonomy/rules/

Here is an article about Adsonomy, but it is really more of a press release. However it does give some useful details http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060227/nym090.html?.v=29
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

They need to change their advertising name as well. I keep reading it as AdSodomy which is probably not the best name for an advertising service.
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

Dumbfind might end up being a great search engine. Also, I might be very stupid. But I wouldn't want to be reminded of how stupid I am.

That name, in my opinion, is going to turn a lot of people off. It might be attractive to people who really don't know much and think they need lots of help. Their logic could be that Dumbfind is for them. People who know a few basic things are likely to use something with a more attractive name and not one that sounds as if it is making fun of them.

Rivux, I agree with you about the name for their advertising. The same word came into my mind. That is an absolutely horrible choice for a name. They need to come up with something different. While they need a better name for their search engine, the advertising name is just a very poor choice.

I will say that they are taking an interesting approach to search and advertising. It is too early to say just how good or bad either will eventually be.

Dumbfind has a representative who is a Geek/Talk member. Maybe he will make some comments on the process they used to come up with these names when it looks as if they could come up with better names that would have much more appeal to them.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
dumbfounder

Default Names

Sorry for the extremely long delay, I missed this thread through my normal channels and it was just brought to my attention today.

Noone likes my names. I get it now! Dumbfind isn't meant to make fun of people, most people really like it in fact, but there are definitely some people that hate it. I am the dumbfounder, so obviously I don't mind calling myself dumb too. But not everyone knows that... And that isn't even what I am trying to imply. I think search engines are dumb, and we need to engage the users to use their intuition, and (soon) contribute to the relevancy in the engine. Algorithms can only do so much.

As for Adsonomy, that was actually a try at a real name. It is a take-off of folksonomy, but for advertising. One other person cracked that adsodomy joke, but I figured it was just his crude sense of humor. It never occurred to me before that, and I have a rather crude sense of humor, so I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

What about dumbfound? That implies bewilderment rather than stupidity. Or am I wrong, will people still think I am calling them dumb?

Also, we are having a naming crisis on an upcoming release of a whole new site we are developing. It is a search community, like MySpace for search. We are a few weeks away from launch and still haven't decided on a name. If you would like to hear the candidates and weigh in, please email me at info-at-dumbfind.com.
dumbfounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Desilvio

I don't really see anything wrong with the name..

"[insert topic here] For Dummies" anyone? I do believe that series of books is a wee bit popular
Desilvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfounder
Sorry for the extremely long delay, I missed this thread through my normal channels and it was just brought to my attention today.
Your search engine didn't find it?

Personally I think some people are reading too much into the free ads name. But I guess this thread and the previous one brought a bit of publicity to someone quirky enough to try something different. Good luck with it dumbfounder!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
nueva

I just register to his website and I hope it will bring me some traffic if not is just another waste of time but any way I do like ideea and hope ppl will agree with you. Good luck with your website.
nueva is offline   Reply With Quote