Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2001, 10:28 AM   #1
Bomber

Question Should I forget about getting paid from WEBSHOTS!

I know webshot and excite.com are filing for chapter 11, they still owe me some money, I've gotten the proof of claim documents in the mail, but what are the chances of me actually getting the money?

Jason
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 11:47 PM   #2
Skid Row

Thumbs down

I got one of those yesterday. They owe me $98 for September. I wonder if its worth going through the hassle of filling out that Proof of Claim form and getting it back to their fleet of lawyers. RIP WebShots. It was a decent affiliate program.
Skid Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:22 PM   #3
Skid Row

Exclamation WebShots Update

Maybe WebShots isn't dead after all. Here's a letter they apparently sent out. I didn't get it, but I read it on my account page. If you're using WebShots and haven't already taken the links and banners from your site, you should probably go ahead and do so until (hopefully) they get back on track next month. Clicks aren't being counted.

------

Dear Cashclub member,

As I am sure you are aware, Excite@Home (the parent company of Webshots) is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Here is the summary of the current situation.

Webshots is in the process of being divested into an independent company. The management of this new company will most likely include myself and two other original founders of Webshots. We have personally been running Webshots since 1995, and we plan to continue running it for the foreseeable future.

First the bad news.

Despite our best efforts to get Excite@Home to settle your Cashclub payments as part of the divestiture, they have not agreed. They originally indicated they would pay these balances, and we reported this in our last communication to you. At that time, we had full confidence that Excite@Home would follow through on their payment plan.

Unfortunately, they have changed their mind.

As such, your balances are being treated like any other debt of Excite@Home. If you have balances due over $50, you should be receiving your claim forms in the mail soon. If you have not received them by November 30th, please contact support@webshots.com and we will mail the forms again. Any balances less than $50 will, unfortunately, not be paid.

And now the good news! (yes, there is some good news....)

As part of the new Webshots Corporation, we intend to continue operating the Webshots Cash Club marketing program long into the future. And since we will be operating as a small company again, your payments will be delivered promptly after the close of each cycle.

We expect the sale to close around December 20th. Shortly after close, the Cashclub will be right back on track operating as normal and you can look forward to regular payments. We understand that you may need to take your promotional links down in the interim period, but please be ready to put them right back up in mid December if you don't want to miss out on any income.

I want to personally apologize for the difficulties these past few months, and I look forward to a mutually rewarding relationship between you and the new Webshots Corporation in mid December.

NOTE: Your account will stay accessible throughout this period, although no clicks will be counted beginning tonight, 11/16. Your amount balance has been adjusted to reflect your entire past due amount from Excite@Home (including amounts due prior to the bankruptcy filing). Click counting will begin again shortly after the sale is complete in December.

Sincerely,

Andrew Laakmann
Director, Webshots
Skid Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 12:46 AM   #4
sdarken

I know that Bomber has seen my comments before but possibly Skid Row has not. Regardless of what finally happens to WebShots, it is not a company that I can recommend to anyone because of their dubious business practices.

For one thing their download is a major distribution channel of Scumware (in the form of Gator). You can read the rest of my comments about Webshots here

Last edited by sdarken; 11-30-2001 at 12:47 AM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote