Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2001, 11:09 AM   #16
Marty Winston

I don't know of any ad servers that skip counting ads that don't display. If your site has the HTML call to the server, that gets counted, whether or not the user sees it.

Which addresses CPM income.

Certainly that doesn't help the CTR or CPA/CPS income.

So what?

When you turn a geek away, you also turn away his value as a smart-@ss advice giver to those who aren't AR enough to block ads.

If you do enough volume, you can serve those ads yourself, which thwarts the blockers, and still send the appropriate info back to the payment processors - low volume, you're not worth the bother.

I have to say, though, overall this is sounding like a really cheapskate approach, and I feel uncomfortable on sites that treat people that way - even though I'm not blocking ads.

Are there more out there like me?

If so, you're plotting a dangerous course.
Old 07-28-2001, 07:43 PM   #17
Manos

Jan - your last post is exactly what I show my ad-blocking visitors. Check it out:
http://www.drinknation.com/noads.html

Old 07-28-2001, 07:51 PM   #18
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Manos,

Excellent.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:03 PM   #19
Marty Winston

Not, of course, that Robert might have an even more intense self-interest than just about anybody else here...
Old 07-28-2001, 08:21 PM   #20
Robert from SI

Actually, no Marty.

We don't sell banner ads. And they don't generally work on our popups.

I think ad blockers are wrong, and I don't think that publishers should sit idly by and tolerate them. If the surfer refuses to view your ads, you should refuse to allow him to view your site. Whats wrong with that?

I think he has a well written, polite, and informative note.

Old 07-28-2001, 08:24 PM   #21
Marty Winston

Try it on from the viewpoint of the customer - and don't assume any ill will because there's an ad blocker they might not have themselves installed on the system they use.

It's unnecessarily rude and simultaneously self-destructive to the site's ultimate interests.
Old 07-28-2001, 09:02 PM   #22
Steve_S

Arrow From our archives

Some interesting reading in these old posts:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...light=block%2A

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...light=block%2A

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Manos, why not consider instructions in your noads page to help your visitors remove the ad blocker from their system AND to tell their friends to do the same Along with the technical issue it helps "paint" "you" as a really nice person who wants them to return and want's them to view your great site.

Last edited by Steve_S; 12-11-2002 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:26 PM   #23
Manos

Smile

Steve that's a really good idea. And assuming my Apache rules work correctly, I could even customize the instructions for whichever brand of blocker they were using....
Old 07-29-2001, 04:42 PM   #24
darnell

Default GREAT!

This is great. We must keep this updated and let everyone know that leeches and spammers are not allowed.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:47 PM   #25
darnell

I've tried a .htaccess file with the following

--------------------------------------
# block offline browsers
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Offline* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebZIP* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebReaper* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Anarchie* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mass\ Down* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Slurp* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^BlackWidow* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Web********* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Wget* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebHook* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Teleport*
# adblocking software
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*Ad.*Muncher.*v4.*.* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*NetCaptor.* [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*WebWasher.* [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^.*adsubtract.*$ [NC,OR]
#Block email collectors
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailSiphon [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailWolf [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^ExtractorPro [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mozilla.*NEWT [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Crescent [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^CherryPicker [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^[Ww]eb[Bb]andit [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^WebEMailExtrac.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^NICErsPRO [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Telesoft [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Zeus.*Webster [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Microsoft.URL [OR]
#RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^Mozilla/3.Mozilla/2.01 [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT** ^EmailCollector
# Send leeches and spammers to denied page
RewriteRule ^.*$ /html/access_denied.html [L]
--------------------------------------

I'm not very experienced with .htaccess files, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

After loading this file to my web server, I installed Ad Muncher 4.21. I was able to go to my site and my access was not blocked. Am I doing something wrong? I have other .htaccess files in subdirectories on my site for other uses that work fine. So I'm not sure why this one is not working.

When I filled out a web form on my site to see if Ad Muncher was the HTTP_USER_AGENT I got the following:
HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)

So maybe my .htaccess file is OK and Ad Muncher is some how hiding it's self from showing up as HTTP_USER_AGENT?

Has any one else tried testing this with the latest version of Ad Muncher?

UPDATE: I just went to Manos's site and was not blocked. So I know it must not be my .htaccess file. The Ad Muncher folk have found a work around to prevent .htaccess from blocking them....

Last edited by darnell; 07-29-2001 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:03 AM   #26
mcsebraindumps

Here's a nice little php command for those of you wanting to use it:
<?php $user_agents = array('Flashget', 'Offline', 'Teleport', 'Downloader', 'reaper', 'WebZIP', 'Website Quester',
'MSIECrawler', 'FAST-WebCrawler', 'Gulliver', 'WebCapture', 'HTTrack', 'Fetch API Request', 'NetAnts', 'SuperBot',
'WebCopier', 'Web********'); foreach ($user_agents as $usr_agt) if (preg_match("/$usr_agt/i", $HTTP_USER_AGENT)) die("Sorry,
these bots destroy our bandwidth and webserver, please refrain from using them on our site"); ?>

It doesn't work 100%, but rather about 75%. Still a nice way to keep your bandwidth down.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:21 PM   #27
darnell

Slurp is Hotbot's spider. You may not want to block that one if using the examples on this thread.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:06 AM   #28
Taz

Default <|+

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan
This at least gives the surfer an option

"We have determined that you are using some sort of ad-blocking software or using a browser that downloads our site to your machine.<P> Please understand that we are able to provide this content free because of our Sponsors (ads) and if you choose to block them, we will be unable to display the pages, if people continue to block our sponsors ads using ad-blocking softwares then we will be forced to charge for the content and we do not wish to do this so Please shut of your ad-blocking software and revisit our site."

If you are going to do this (anti adblockers) and maybe retain a few visitors, then put something like this in. That way there is a choice - to enter or not to enter.

Just be nice
i was thinkong something upon that line redirect them to a page to sign up for a ad-free serivce as in they pay to not see ads... that way they turn their anti ad ware off and login ( or cookied already read login from yesturday) and they browse site ... other users get it free with ads.. and can always opt for a ad free option .. this only works if the ad option is still making you money otherwise you may have to switch totaly pay for contaent subscription.....
also as ALWAYS the adult wolrd is a head of us.. hmm i don't know if this will get edited since doesn;t want to mention hm mthat stuff rules hmm how can i say this well adult targeted sites have system where like related sites share a login subscri9ption site.. for example adult check.. if your site fits into a category of other pop ular sites for this sort of system that might be wanted by the user maybe a buy subscription toout site for $ but if you buy this subscription you get these sites for less $ then you would nromal pay for each that way they get a nice deal if they want to see 12 sites addfree ....

a lot of sites are going to paid subscrptions goofball for one.. napster... just hope your site doensl;t depend on your vistors for content like napster and such or with the paid services ( if you choose to go that route) will cut the content ;[

anyways back to the main thing if they use a adware i say give them a option send them to a page with text ads and also a thing about how much the are leeching and they can get the adfree solution they want for a small fee... don't get to imutional like my kids ar starving to death but you can push a little on that point.. rather push on how good your content is and for a small 5 cents a day you can get it ad free and support us
Old 12-11-2002, 07:00 PM   #29
Steve_S

I'm bumping this thread up with this series of questions:

1. Does anyone have a current list of user agents?

2. Who uses this technique and could you please share your results?

<Note: A duplicate of this thread appears in our archive of best posts.>

Please note the date of the first post in this thread

Last edited by Steve_S; 12-11-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:08 PM   #30
darnell

I would like a current list of just bots to block. I don't want stop ad blockers, but I do want to stop spam bots and other bots not associated with Search Engines.