Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2001, 04:41 AM   #31
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Steve has requested that material such as email and ICQ correspondence not be posted here, but I'm sure a few concerned ex-Mailbits affiliates would be interested to email you about this.

Your situation is concerning indeed. I've never heard of a pay-for-performance firm flagging an account purely in response to a traffic increase - and especially not a TAF program, whose usage generally skyrockets leading in to the holiday season.

Since my amount owed is so small, and since I was one of the terminated international users, I'm writing it off as a loss, but I wish the rest of you all the best in chasing down your dues.

Good luck!

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 08:57 AM   #32
JonPKibble
Member.

Red face

Yeah, it's a tell a friend service. Wouldn't they EXPECT traffic to go up?

[This message has been edited by JonPKibble (edited 04-29-2001).]
JonPKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 09:59 PM   #33
Knut

Thumbs down

Sorry to hear about your problem, Jon.

I was one of your linkpartners (and still am), and I remember you had high traffic at that time. Have you tried giving them access to your Hitbox stats?

For the same reasons Czar posted, I'm not planning to try to collect my money. (The only "action" I'm going to take against them is to warn others through my webmaster lists, and upcoming affiliate guide)

A couple of weeks ago I heard from one of my other linkpartners who was denied payment for similar reasons, and she was owed thousands of dollars too...
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 12:04 AM   #34
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

I hope those losers go broke. This is completely unprofessional. Flag for increase, flag for decrease, flag for BEING MY ROOMMATE - WHAT GIVES? I will fight - it's four thousand dollars - and i'll make sure others file BBB/ NY Attorney General complaints (NOTE: When i went to the AG's site and sent it in, I got a bounce message later... *** ?) However I can only hope that soon I'll be making 4,000 A MONTH from CJ and reliable programs and won't have to worry about stuff like this, because it will just be chump change http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif That is my only wish. Of course I am going to make it come true! Right now I am making $40/day from a combination of CJ, ContentZone ads, TrashTraffic, and Super TAF. I get about 4,000 daily uniques. I figure all I gotta do is come up with some material and put it on my site so I can get to 20,000 uniques daily and then I'll make $200/day ::grin:: Should work, no? (When I was getting 10,000 daily uniques I made 100 a day - but I don't anymore because I stopped using GoTo - but at least my expenses are lower). I doubt I'll get my mailbits money but I will at least fight and learn a lesson from all this.

EVERYONE, WHETHER THEY OWE YOU TEN DOLLARS OR A THOUSAND, PLEASE FILE COMPLAINTS! We need to get the government to notice and make em either pay or shut down!
Old 04-30-2001, 12:17 AM   #35
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

If you are posting a complaint about a company, you must follow the forum's rules and specifically, the posting guide. Resolving the problem/dispute is the ultimate goal, and following the rules makes that much more likely.

Thank you.
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 10:13 AM   #36
cashcash

Unhappy

I'm in the U.S. and I just received my check for January. I thought it was lost money, maybe there is hope for the rest of ya.
cashcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 10:18 AM   #37
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

Sorry Aaron, got a little carried away .But when you're in debt with the IRS maybe you will understand better http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jon
Old 04-30-2001, 10:29 AM   #38
Knut

Unhappy

Since I have been a little negative myself, I thought I'd tell you that I got a mail from Richard/Mailbits today, and it seems they're definately planning to pay us international users.

They're appearantly done reviewing all the US accounts, and just started last week to go through the international ones.

I guess we'll just have to be patient :-)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 11:01 PM   #39
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes
Unhappy

Hi, since we filed our lawsuit against Mailbits, and the number of public complaints has grown, I've heard from some people that Mailbits began answering their e-mail, and talking about paying what was owed.

You'll have to decide for yourselves whether any of these recent actions would have taken place if others had not been putting pressure on Mailbits, and they saw a public relations disaster (and worse), in front of them. You'll also have to decide what this says about how trustworthy a company they are.

I continue to hear from people who are still owed thousands of dollars.

BTW, I know many have speculated that Mailbits stole affiliate earnings as a grab for cash before going out of business. You may be right, but it's hard to prove (since they're not out of business yet). I have another point of view about this, which we're ready to present in court.

Jemma

( I almost forgot - congratulations to anyone who's finally gotten paid! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by jemma (edited 05-01-2001).]
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 11:05 PM   #40
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Ditto to what Aaron said. Please comply with our Rules and Posting Guide or leave. Contact me privately via our BB Feedback Form if you need additional guidence or wish me to termninante your posting priviliges.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 11:07 PM   #41
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

Here are some URL's:

BBB- http://www.bbb.org

NY Attorney General - http://www.oag.state.ny.us/internet_complaint/

IF Mailbits owes you money, please file reports on both areas. There are also contact #'s for the AG's office, I encourage you to call them. The NYC number - begins with (212) . If the AG gets enough complaints they will most likely give mailbits the choice of PAYING UP or CLOSING SHOP.

Everyone must participate in order for a result to occur! even if they owe you only 10 bucks. I have a friend who is owed 84 THOUSAND. You guys will be helping him out as well.

Jon Prywes

[This message has been edited by JonPKibble (edited 04-30-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 11:42 PM   #42
Chazhound

Cool

$84,000!
Wow, he really should get a lawyer...

I sure hope you get your money Jon.

Chazhound
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:39 AM   #43
JonPKibble
Member.

Smile

Let me know how it goes, Jemma. I'm about to mail them copies of my credit card statements - along with a mathematical explanation of my traffic growth compared to what I spent.

Fortunately for me I didn't get too much exponential traffic. I feel bad for my friend who I previously mentioned (he rather I not mention him by name). His page is really great, and the pages he posted were really good, so people went crazy telling friends. I don't think he advertised that much if at all. And he was owed 21 times as much as my measly $4,000 and will have no way to prove his traffic except to say his pages were viral - but Richard refuted that (HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?)

I can't wait to hear how your case goes. Of course I know how long these trials can take...sometimes scheduled far in advance.

I am with you all the way.

Jon
Old 05-02-2001, 07:39 AM   #44
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes
Unhappy

Quote:
JonPKibble wrote, in part: ...I can't wait to hear how your case goes. Of course I know how long these trials can take...sometimes scheduled far in advance.

I am with you all the way.
Thanks, Jon! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif From what I've found out, trials in small claims and civil court are scheduled 4-10 weeks after filing, depending on how busy the court is (the average wait is appx 6 weeks). For small claims court, there's rarely a good reason for the trial to be extended past the originally scheduled court date, so it shouldn't be too bad.

The only court that has significant wait times is the State Supreme Court, probably because it's the highest court in NYC, and the cases tend to be more complex.

BTW, I discovered that the NYC State Supreme Court is a famous building that's often used in TV and films, because it's big, beautiful, and classical looking (Greek architecture with huge columns and a long series of steps leading to the entrance).

For instance, the A&E TV series "100 Centre Street" uses it in the opening photo montage of the series. The only problem with this is that none of their stories or characters would be using the Supreme Court!

They'd be using the Criminal Courts Building (100 Centre Street). I guess the problem for producers was that that building just looks like an office building (although it's got an interesting history - it's unofficially known as the "Tombs", because for many, many, years it had hellish jails in the basement).

The TV series "Law and Order" uses the State Supreme Court building, too. They often have the lawyers chatting on its steps, or, more often, leaving the building at the end of the case and episode. As long as their stories deal with local crime, though, they'd also be using 100 Centre St, and not the Supreme Court building.

Even Judge Judy has a graphic at the beginning of her show that looks like the State Supreme Court building!

Jemma (provider of useless trivia http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by jemma (edited 05-02-2001).]
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:55 AM   #45
AndrewWarner

Unhappy

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a message board reader, but when Sanford told me about this discussion, I felt that I had to come and respond. I want to explain to you guys what's going on with our affiliate program.

MailBits.com has always gone out of its way to treat our affiliates honorably. When our site was down, we estimated affiliate's losses and paid them (even when the outage wasn't our fault). When there was doubt about the validity of an affiliate's traffic, we gave the site the benefit of the doubt. And when a few affiliates had financial trouble, we even FedExed loans to them.

To understand how far out of our way we've gone to please our affiliates, look at the number of affiliates we have. Just about every one of them came through word of mouth. If you're an affiliate, I'll bet you joined because someone told you how good we are.

The problem is that our reputation has spread to people who took advantage of it. Over the years, people decided that we're pushovers and cheated our program. As a result, thousands of affiliates either blatantly defrauded our system or intentionally sent us worthless traffic.

The market isn't doing so great that I can look the other way. I have to clean up the program. And that includes vetting affiliate traffic, a process that can sometimes take longer than we'd like, but one that's necessary nevertheless.

We're almost done with our work and we'll soon go back to business as usual, with one difference: the improvements we made over the past few weeks will result in a stronger, smoother running program.

In the meantime, if your traffic is legitimate, you either have been paid by now (and almost all affiliates have already been paid - I can't stress that enough) or you'll be paid as soon as we verify that the traffic you sent us is legitimate. In the *few* cases that we have to cancel affiliates without pay, we only do so with good evidence of violations.

We have a well-known record of good payment and reliability and we expect to extend that record into the future.

Andrew Warner
Founder
MailBits.com
AndrewWarner is offline   Reply With Quote