Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-1999, 05:34 PM   #1
Teknosurf

Default *** TeknoSurf Company Update July 12, 1999 **

Howdy ClickQuick members,
I just wanted to give everyone a complete update on your concerns regarding TeknoSurf..
What started as a two person company just 10 months ago is now a 60+ person enterprise, back in September of 98, we served close to 1 million banners per day, now we are over 10 million banners per day and growing exponentially --- It's that kind of growth that has caused some minor problems along the way but we have always tried to sacrifice growth with ensuring the highest level of service that we'd expect to receive in kind!

So during the last 10 months we've had periods where we stopped accepting new sites while we worked on scaling our technology so that current members would not suffer, we've worked as much as possible on our systems offline to prevent any kind of outages or disruptions in service, but true implementations require real life situations and as such there have been times in which I readily admit banners appeared broken, stats were difficult to display, etc...

Suprisingly throughout all of our growth the entire amount of time in the last 9 months in which we were not serving any banners was under 12 hours! - YeaHAWW!!!!!
About 4 months ago we realized that our systems required some extensive modifications in order to be able to scale to serve 10's of millions of banners per day, and we set out to make this happen... We projected it would take a month, but it took two... As anyone would state, our banners have been serving super fast and without interupption for over a month now and we have passed the most significant scalability milestone required!

The next most major issue was the ability to read your stats... First I'd like to address why they were difficult to access and what we have done to make them not only quicker but MUCH, MUCH, better!

The way our stats ran to date was for them to parse all the data in real time associated with your account, the old teknosurf would store all your data on one server and you would be a member either of tekno1, tekno2, or tekno3...
when we scaled our system, we now have all the way upto tekno12 and your account data is collected and resides on each one...
so our stats program would have to crawl across each one of them to compile your data for you to diplay.. Factor in 20 other people on average checking their stats at the same time 24/7 and you can develop some problems...

Now the fix:
For the last three months we've also been working on a kick *** SQL based database for all the data to be imported into.. so instead of going out and checking all the data on each server, all the data is now dumped into the database...
We're on the finishing touches of our new stats which allow for RANGE reporting (you can pick to view your stats from ANY dates you specify), graphs so you can see your earnings trends, and so much more, plus they are SUPER SOLID fast!! These stats will be available no later than this Friday!

So what else are we working on? Good question, the next major area we are working on is improving our ability to put the right ad in front of the right user at the right time? By being able to do this we are able to charge significantly more for the ad space we represent and we of course pass on those higher earnings off to you! So look for greatly increased earnings as we take our optimization to the next level!

I started TeknoSurf with ONE idea in mind and that was Webmasters Helping Webmasters -
TeknoSurf always was and always will be about Webmasters Helping Webmasters and I personally look forward to working with every single webmaster as close as possible to make sure we are all achieving the level of success our potential dictates we can.

Sincerely,
John Ferber
President, Chief Web Officer
TeknoSurf.Com
john@teknosurf.com

Teknosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-1999, 07:01 PM   #2
WebsiteSponsors
Member.

Thanks for the update John. I am sure you explained alot to alot of people including myself http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Need a sponsor for your website? Over 350 to choose from!
cbrzez.hypermart.net
WebsiteSponsors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-1999, 09:35 AM   #3
davidg1234

EEK! I'd better watch what I say in here in the future, I never realized that workers of banner ad companies actually read it. How many others are there?

Are there any Safe_Audit REps?
davidg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-1999, 10:40 AM   #4
fairhousing
Member.

david you'd be surprised who (advertisers, host, and more) reads these forums and others like it. it's a great way for them to get free feedback, ideas, and web news anonymously. i'd have to say hosting companies are the biggest anonymous hawkers of webmaster related forums. therefore, be weary of any testimonials about web hosting, it could be a bias one pro or con.

------------------
Isn't it time you started making some real money with your web site!
www.birminghamnet.com/cgi-bin/links/pages/WebmasterResources/MakingMoney

fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-1999, 03:09 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

davidg1234,

http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Well, since I'm the guy that looks at the logs and sometimes recieves private e-mails from these companies as I know Ryan does as well, a few thoughts.

Yes they read and watch. Don't let this fact sensor your comments. Providing it's appropraite language and not personall attacks and ideally specific in nature. We really don't have much of a problem with this issue.

I will and have defended your rights to do this. I will continue to do this forever! Iv'e gotten a few heated ones as well. Let's call them high velocity mail. That's fine and they are always invited to join. Some do and some don't but it's up to them.

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
www.very-cool-stuff.com
Your Administrator

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-1999, 03:19 PM   #6
Teknosurf

Ahh, yes of course I read this forum, I am a webmaster too remember http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif ... and I don't mind the occasional cricitism as well, however I should forwarn you that making blatantly false or malicious statements is a serious matter...
peace, john
Teknosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-1999, 04:33 PM   #7
WildComputer

Dear John

I just like to congratulate on your new improvements.

I'd also like to thank you on the fact that I've somehow got a credit for an affiliate wave referral although I'm only advertising Ad Wave! Well done, that's great.

I do have a couple of questions which are

(1) I applied for AffiliateWave (to get referrals) some time ago, and don't think I ever received a reply. Should I reapply or am I automatically a member of AffiliateWave if I'm a member of Ad Wave ?

(2) Additionally is there any guidelines on what sort of sites you accept for Ad Wave ? I'd like to include some text explaining your programs and eligibility on my site.

The reason I ask is that I'm heavily promoting referrals of One-and-only & Virtualis this month, but next month, I might like to switch to promoting Ad Wave and/or Affiliate Wave.

Thanks in advance

p.s.
in case you're wondering I'm mainly into selling software, so this is a sideline for me.

I'd most like only be able to send you a max of ten or so webmasters per day, so I'd wanna make sure that most of them apply for the right program (both for you and them) - and the best way for me to do this is to include a proper explanation of your programs on my site before they click-thru.

WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-1999, 08:32 PM   #8
armone

Bait and switch, turned off banners, lack of explanations and responses.

Dear John,
Before I signed up with your company I called and spoke to spoke to someone. They checked out my site and a guy named Mike called me back a few minutes later. He checked out my web site and said that would I would recieve 13.somthing cents per click thru and that he expected the rate to rise in the near future. He sent me an e-mail with a link to sign up. I signed up and recieved an e-mail back which said that I was only eligible for the Affiliate Wave program which only offered 10 cents per click thru along with a bunch of other offers. That's called BAIT AND SWITCH.
I called Teknosurf again this time I spoke another Mike and he said that he would check out the problem and that I should receive about 15 cents per click thru and that I would and e-mail response. I received nothing. A couple of days later the banners were missing from my page. I had not changed anything. A few more days later I spoke to Ralf Williams and told him of the missing banners and suggested that the problem was on my end. He also tried to tell me that no-one had ever examined my site before those offers where made. I informed him of his mistakes. He put me on hold. When he came back to the phone he told me that he would call me back. When he called back he told me he said that I was recieving 10 cents per click and that's the way it is. As for the banners there was a problem with the Teknosurf server. I told him that I need to receive something in writting from Teknosurf explaining the recent events. I recieved nothing. I waited. Ten days and no banners later, I called back and left a message for Ralf. He called me and suggested that the problem was on my end. I told him that nothing had changed on my end. He said that it must be Teknosurf server. He told me that he would look into it and contact me within a day or two. A few more days passed and I received nothing. At this point, I began to assume that your company had no interest in doing buisiness me.
One of the main reasons that I picked your company is because it is located in same town as where I live. In fact when I spoke to both of the Mike's at your office they informed me that they attended the same high school as I did and like myself, are musicians. So I thought cool! I found a company with people that I had something I common with. How very rare. So the question is what happened?
I'm using another banner company now but I have not written your company off completely. I still want to know what happened.

Please examine my accout.
username : armone

armone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-1999, 02:58 PM   #9
emailer

John, your company has been accused of questionable practices in this discusion board. The accuser has been specific. He has named names. He seems to have been patient and quite reasonable. I am concerned that an affiliate in your own hometown has such a recital of poor treatment.

I would appreciate you giving him and us your response.

emailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-1999, 11:19 PM   #10
armone

Dear John,
Today your company called my friend's store LSH Computers and tried to get them to sign up jamiesway.com with your company. LSH Computers does not own that web site. They are just a sponsor. When I spoke to Mr. Williams a couple of weeks ago, I told him that I had knowlegde of Teknosurf contacting them. I also told him that jamiesway.com will not sign up with Teknosurf until things were going better with my account and that things so far were not going well. Apparently he didn't find that news note worthy. No disrespect to Mr. Williams. He seem like a nice guy. He just seems to be loaded down with alot of work.
I do hope that in the future, I will get some explanations and that my friends and I will be able to do buisiness with your company. It is a shame that things have not gone better.

armone

Old 07-17-1999, 09:19 AM   #11
armone

Like I said before, lack of explanations and responses.
It has been several days now and still no word from John. In the past, on more than one occasion, I have e-mailed him directly and recieved no reply.

Old 07-17-1999, 09:21 AM   #12
NanoTech

Hi,

I dont know if this is the reason, but John and his brother Scott are currently holding the Teknosurf Web Expo 99. This is probably why they arent responding.

Dave

Also, John is more likly to read his email thhan to read this board; try mailing john@teknosurf.com with your questions instead of posting here.

[This message has been edited by NanoTech (edited 07-17-99).]
NanoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-1999, 10:03 AM   #13
armone

NanoTech,
In the past, on more than one occasion, I have e-mailed him directly at john@teknosurf.com and recieved no reply.

This message board is the only place that I have seen any communication from him.

Old 07-17-1999, 10:11 AM   #14
armone

Sorry NanoTech my mistake, I e-mailed him at webmaster@teknosurf.com
But still........

Old 07-19-1999, 01:01 PM   #15
davidg1234

Looks like you got a new customer Teknosurf!
Send the champagne to:
62 horrocks avenue......
j/k
:-)

davidg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote