Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2001, 07:52 PM   #16
Chazhound

Cool

"What a bunch of mullet-heads"
Lol

I am glad everything is working for you now.

"You get what you pay for."
Exactly. For the price they charge I can live with an occasional meltdown.

Chazhound
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 06:26 AM   #17
maxpower

Unhappy

Yes I can handle occasional meltdowns... for the price.

But guess what? My site is down again - this morning I am ready to do some updates and the site is dead - no DNS, FTP or anything - the server is down.

I will wait a bit more and see if this is an all day thing or just an all morning thing.
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 08:36 AM   #18
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Wow, it's down again? I've been hosted with tera-byte for a while and that last problem was on of the few I had. You might have some real troublemakers on that server...

Alot of those guys are attracted by the high bandwidth usage ability.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 12:59 PM   #19
maxpower

Unhappy

Yes you may be right. It certainly isn't my site... yet. It is a new site which currently gets only about 100 visitors a day.

PS. The downtime was for about an hour - things are back to normal now.
Old 06-16-2001, 12:15 AM   #20
TSSR

Red face

Well apparently I might be the cause some of this...

I received a message in my Email from Tera-Byte this morning (UK time) stating

Quote:
Your site has been suspended due to excessive hits which are crashing the
server. The site of your magnitude requires a dedicated server. We cannot
accomodate you on a shared hosting account.
Unquote.

To be honest I find it a little hard to believe - the site has been consistently using about 250-300Mb per day (well under the allowance of (1Gb per day (30Gb/Month)) which I am paying for. I get about 30000 hits a day (say 4000 page views). Now if this is excessive for a shared hosting account on a Cobalt server then I hold my hand up - but is this really the case ?

Also it was interesting that 4 hours before this message arrived I had another one saying that they were upgrading the server - was it actually the upgrade which caused the problem - or were they upgrading it to cope with my site (I'd be flattered).

I don't really want to move to a dedicated server as the site doesn't generate enough income to justify that.

FYI. Its a celebrity gallery site (all very tasteful).

If it really was my site causing the problems - my sincere apologies to all those affected.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

TSSR
TSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 05:21 AM   #21
maxpower

Unhappy

hey there - thanks for the reply.

If you are hosting a "gallery" site and serving 30GBs/month of bandwidth then honestly I would think that the server could handle that. Especially if you are not using any SSI calls or wierd CGI scripts to run the site. If it is all straight HTML and GRAPHICS then you should be okay.

Face it -- Tera-byte is just like the other hosting companies. They will sell you a package with a certain amount of bandwidth but they don't expect you to use it. When you use it they get all choked.

I have another site on Tera-byte which they "SHUT OFF" due to usage of CGI resources. (about a month ago) To get them to turn it back on I had to disable most of my CGI/PERL.

This is a site which I had hosted on FUTUREQUEST.NET for a year with the same scripts and had no complaints or problems... and even with 100 times the traffic. (Yes it's true) It is an XFL football site - when the league kicked off last February the site got over 130,000 page views in a single day. Now that the league has gone under traffic is a mere shadow of what it once was. (2000-5000 page views in a day) I have kept the site alive and transferred it to a cheaper tera-byte hosting package.

With the old host (FutureQuest.net) and tons of traffic... no problem. With tera-byte.com, and much less traffic, suddenly there was a problem.

Explain that.
Old 06-16-2001, 07:20 AM   #22
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Interesting thread. This question kind of overlaps what I've asked on another board - but I hope it's ok to ask here...I'm real stumped...and haven't heard back from TB.

(??)My Top Ten in the site admin tells me that a graphic called green3.gif is being called more than my logo (which heads each page). Odd, since I don't have any graphics by that name??

(???)As they told me my logs are hogging 70mb, I tried to delete some (as suggested in another thread)...but, I just get a 550 Permission denied.

As I mentioned on the other board, my site never topped 35mb - for over a year - 1 month with tera-byte and I'm over 100mb?

Any ideas? Thanks!!

cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 07:34 AM   #23
Kaiosama

Unhappy

I have a site that gets 8,000 plus pageviews a day that uses ssi up to four times a day and it has no problems. Even during the busiest days during the busiest of hours the thing loads ultra fast. Which is why I've always like TB.
Old 06-16-2001, 07:35 AM   #24
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Cyburrr ask them where the green dot file is located or look for it yourself...
Old 06-16-2001, 08:43 AM   #25
TSSR

Unhappy

Well 12 hours after my first Email (followed by two others) I still have not heard anything from TB. I asked for the site to be reinstated so that I could get access via FTP so that I could make some changes to reduce hits/bandwidth - but still no reply.

With regard to the site design - it does use SSI quite a lot to build each page so that might have been the problem - but as they haven't had the curtesy to inform me exactly what the problem was I can only guess > http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Anyway - I've had enough. Signed up today with HostEurope for a RaQ4 dedicated server. So my sites with TB (3 of them) as well as others elsewhere will being transferred as soon as that's up and running.

All in all this is one disappointed bunny - but looking forward to having my own server http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

TSSR
TSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 09:15 AM   #26
maxpower

Unhappy

TSSR - Well I feel sorry for you. TB feels that you are toasting their server, they might be right, but in reality you are not doing anything that most of the others on TB want to do... get lots of traffic and also to automate their sites using SSI.

The reality is -- on TB you can't do this. Even for you, Kaiosama, once your site gets big and scores a larger chunk of traffic TB will be knocking on your door too.

The crazy thing is they just shut off your site. They are allowed to do this as per their terms of service, but it is still a real nasty trick. It saves the other users though.

Does anyone think that maybe TB has gotten too popular, and that this might actually be their problem.

One place that I do recommend is actually FUTUREQUEST.NET. They never had any problems with my BUSY site although they charge $10.00 GB for bandwidth over 20GB/Month for their most advanced package. When my site got busy I got an extra bill for about 200 bucks one month, but NEVER any downtime or complaints. Also any support request is answered within usually minutes. To top it off they have a much better stats package than TB plus a very helpful support forum heavily populated by current users.

They will cost you anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as much money though.

FYI, I don't work for FUTUREQUEST.NET but I do host three sites there and I point many of my clients there -- especially ones that don't care about how much they pay -- because with FUTUREQUEST.NET there is never any problems. NEVER! (and that is worth something)
Old 06-16-2001, 04:34 PM   #27
gethosted

Unhappy

I can say that other than a small billing problem, I had no problem with hosting a site that on one day ate up 18 gigs (I shut the site down immediately, I couldn't handle a $100 overrage that would inevitably hit me the next day if I left it on). I even accidentally crashed one of their servers, as well as used a footer cgi script to generate every page that was viewed approximately 30,000 times each day, and was running webadverts, a counting script, as well as being graphic intensive. They only shut the site down when it was crashing the server, which I fully respect them for (I didn't want it to crash the server either, and it was doing it QUICK).

Guess I must have just been one lucky person http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. I would deffinately recommend tera-byte to anyone who can actually stay within the limits of their plan.

------------------
Ezcoolpages: Free 20 megs webhosting for all sites, including celeb.
Harsh Rejection: Send a clever personalized E-poem to show your true feelings.
Celeb Banner Exchange
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 05:44 PM   #28
MikeJeffs

Unhappy

TSSR: Your lucky they didn't just terminate your account for having a celebrity gallery site. Thats what they did to mine... apparently non-nude britney pics constitute an "adult orientated site".
MikeJeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 11:23 PM   #29
demae

Unhappy

Ick. Wonder what will happen to my Anime-Skins.com site (hosted by tera-byte.com), which uses PHP and MySQL.

Does the tera-byte.com admin (I think his username was keeg) still hang out on this board? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say about all the problems people are having.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 06:25 AM   #30
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiosama:
Cyburrr ask them where the green dot file is located or look for it yourself...

Thanks Kaiosama. The address to it is www.mydomain.com/images/green3.gif (which brings up a 'page not found' - naturally, since I don't have any graphics anywhere by that name!) I've yet to get a reply to my email quieries - and their chat has not been working for days http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Also, can anyone tell me how to delete my logs? (I get 550 permission denied)..70mb's an awful lot of logs dontcha think??

Thanks http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote