Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy Yahoo to shut down GeoCities

First, AOL shut down its popular Hometown free hosting service and now, under Carol Bartz' leadership, Yahoo has made the decision to shutter the massive GeoCities service.

This was another free hosting service that offered various website building tools to make it easy for amateurs to build and launch websites quickly and easily. The service was immensely popular in the early days of the web and could very well have beaten Facebook and MySpace to the social media punch if it was managed more effectively.

Yahoo bought the service from its founders in 1999 in a $4.6 billion stock deal, which helps to give some indication as to how powerful the service and its audience was considered to be at the turn of the century. In the mid 90s, the service was also responsible for launching the careers of several of today's professional web publishers, myself included.

For more on this, see:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

What do you think about this development? IMHO, it seems a sound cost cutting measure for Yahoo given the site's current state, but it's sad to see the service disappear so unceremoniously without having fully realised its potential as one of the pioneers of the social web.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
AaliyahRoma

Yahoo sounds like an old and bad manager(compare to Google and new generation Web 2.0). Yahoo dont care to offer easy-to-use services. Which user would be happy with a webhosting without ftp? Even if free webhosting... could or should offer FTP, PHP-Mysql etc.
AaliyahRoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Well, they could have taken it either way. It could have been the ultimate free host, with ad support, services, e-commerce add-ons and product upgrades driving revenue, or they could have locked it down and added structure to transitioned the service into a highly usable social networking platform. They could have had a lead of several years over MySpace and Facebook and since those services are now in bed with Microsoft and Google, that would in turn have aided Yahoo' search volume. Such a wasted opportunity.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
creativhost

Geocities has been behind many of the othr free webhosts for years.

geocities have stupid bandwidth limits which limits your hourly.

Good bye geocities!
creativhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
GSE-Media

Sad to see them go.

I, too, got my start there a long, long time ago.
GSE-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Mjel

I'm another who got their start there. RIP geocities
Mjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
JamesHead

This does not surprise me. It seems Yahoo is more about providing services that they can charge for these days. I'd say when compared to companies like Google, they are far behind the curve.

Yahoo was it in the 90s, but not anymore

I do have hopes that they or someone else can step it up though.
JamesHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
kellogg9
Member.

I would never have guessed
kellogg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
delnd

The current Yahoo administrators are more concern on selling their asset for money rather putting some innovation on their SE .it's sad. Yahoo did well in the pass.

ps:Yahoo 360 is shutting down.

Last edited by delnd; 06-06-2009 at 04:17 PM.
delnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
delnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk107 View Post
Hai!

I am really happy to visit here.

Kvi
----

SFTP Server
What you so happy about??Please don't SPAM.
delnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I had my first little site on Geocities - and a free Bravenet message board, guest book and counter. I don't think I ever did take it down. Ah the memories *sniff* I remember business owners who had the long geocities urls on their business cards or in their classified ads.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Czar

Webmaster

How proud were we all about placing those "dog running across the page" or "flaming text" animated GIFs on our websites back then? I had little glowing arrows as my list items, a rigid, framed layout and loads of other tacky bells-and-whistles.

Ah, GeoCities. My eyes won't miss you, but my heart will.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #13
cyburrr

All my text was nicely centered... My background was a cool spiral notebook effect, and I had THE cutest dancing baby.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
Czar

Webmaster

Niiiice. I remember when your dancing baby broke into Hollywood and appeared on an episode of Ally McBeal. What a cutey.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #15
Jack

Another dumb decision to add up to Yahoo's idiotic strategy over the years. Yahoo's first mistake with Geocities was buying the damn site for $4.6 billion. Really Yahoo, Geocities for $4.6 billion but Google for $5 billion would be too expensive, huh. Then they decided to put in their bandwidth caps. There was some sense to this to prevent free sites from using gigs of data, but the implementation was terrible. Yeah, lets shut off a site when someone transfers more than 1 mb of data from a site in a 15 minute period or whatever it was. It could like cost us a thousandth of a cent or something. And of course keeping this decision in place in the age of Youtube. It was an utter joke.

Now, instead of cutting staff down to like 2 guys necessary to actually keep the place running, they decide to shut it down. Awesome decision. Can't wait for Yahoo to finally die off as they deserved to do at the end of the 90s.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote