Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2001, 05:31 AM   #16
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by shri:
Hiya George,

I know its you.. *grin* we frequent most of the same forums.

Now if only we can convince the folks here to move to vB .. funny they advertise it, yet remain with UBB http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Shri

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment[*]PHP, MySQL, vBulletin, hosting and server admin info, tips & tidbits
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 09:30 AM   #17
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

I'm happy to report that member demae / philip just completed major "reconstructive surgery" http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif on my DI server. Great work and highely recomended.

This stuff:

MySQL 3.23.36 has been installed.
phpMyAdmin 2.1.0 has been installed.
PHP 4.0.4pl1 has been installed.
mod_gzip has been installed.
The DI Control Panel still works.
mod_perl was already disabled.
Plus a neat little thing he coded which places an account/domain user "in jail" so they can't browse outside their domains directory structure.

Nice http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 10:18 AM   #18
RK

Unhappy

"Plus a neat little thing he coded which places an account/domain user "in jail" so they can't browse outside their domains directory structure."

Does this work under telnet (or ssh) or only under ftp?
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 11:17 PM   #19
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Good question. Works via FTP. I believe the DI control panel takes care of exactly what a user can do via Telnet including turning shell access off for a given user.

Since I don't host third parties who need or even want telnet perhaps Phil can exspand on this.

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 11:24 PM   #20
demae

Unhappy

The script that I wrote will:

(1) turn off shell access to the user
(2) restrict their FTP access to their own directory

It is possible to chroot jail a user without turning off their shell access, but it's more complicated. All the binaries and libraries that they may need have to be copied inside the chroot jail, otherwise their commands won't work when they login.

[This message has been edited by demae (edited 04-14-2001).]
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 10:33 PM   #21
demae

Unhappy

One thing that I've always wondered about is that on the Dialtone Internet network status page, they say "*NOTE: The public distribution of this confidential information is strictly prohibited.*"

My thought is, don't prospective customers have a right to know what is going on with their network?
demae is offline   Reply With Quote