Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #16
Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
What you or I consider the best/worst host, may not apply to all who use that particular host.
What qualities do you look for in a host?
Birmingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #17
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Birmingham,

This Forum actually contains a sticky post which will provide you with better advice. In this vein and given the subjective and different requirements, please try and answer this:

If you are looking for a new virtual/shared Host for your website please include the following data in your post. This procedure will produce better recommendations.

Your budget:
Storage required:
Bandwidth required:
Do you need Telnet/SSH access:
Do you need mySQL:
Do you need php:
Do you need Windows Hosting:
Do you need CGI/Perl:
Special requirements:

Assuming, your just getting started and their are literally hundreds of great hosting companies, here are 2 that I use which provide not only an easy to use Control Panel but good support:

1. http://webhsp.com/

2. http://genuian.com/

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #18
my-e-space

Exclamation

Worst Host: http://backycorp.com
Best Host: http://liquidweb.com <<current host.

Backycorp claimed to have 99.9% uptime, but it ended up more like 99.9% DOWNTIME! William is a really nice guy, but he doesnt really know what he is doing, and will give you answers that make no sense. Everytiem the server crashes he says it's a "cPanel Update". I don't know about you guys, but when I update cPanel it never crashes my server!
They are very cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Now, as for LiquidWeb, I cannot say enough good about them! Their support is EXCELENT, and the service is UNBELEIVABLE! One of my servers thats located at LiquidWeb has had 108 days straight of 100% uptime. You can see proof of this at http://my-e-space.com/status and http://my-e-space.com/phpsysinfo
The prices they charge are a bit too low if you ask me. They could charge ALOT more and it still be worth it! All servers come with 1.6TB bandwidth, and a 50gb remote backup which is run nightly.
I have NEVER been with a host in which I felt as secure as I do with LiquidWeb. If something does happen, you can call them anytime of day and get them on the phone in a minute or 2!

Bottom line, if you are looking for a cheap host just to use for testing, then backycorp might do for you. But, if you are looking for a RELIABLE shared, VPS, or Dedi host, you CANNOT go wrong with LiquidWeb!
my-e-space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #19
lukecarter07

Default What can a better host do for your business?

I think it's about time the "which host question" got asked!
Choosing the right host can mean a lot less frustration and more power to you when it comes to building and maintaining your website(s).

Your website is limited to the capabilities of your host and you'll agree that in order to maximise your potential you need to remove all obstacles in your way.

From years of marketing experience I've found the one thing that has caused the most problems is my hosting! - It all adds up. One example that springs to mind was when I was installing some simple forum software on one of my sites; Sure, I've done it many times, but one of the problems has always been the host's MySQL support; they either don't have an easily accessible system, their file permissions are, to say the least, not the greatest or they demanded to charge high fees for setting up a database.

If you are planning to host your site then I recommend hosting on a linux based system instead of a windows based host as their operation is a lot more free in terms of flexibility and handling.

One host I would highly recommend above all others is Dream Host. I use them for all my sites now and they are brilliant. With their "one click installs" for web forum software, calendars, media galleries and more, it's a very impressive and powerful service.

You also receive a free domain name when your register your hosting package, which is also very affordable.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. Nowadays I don't worry about my hosting.

Last edited by Jan; 06-30-2006 at 06:09 AM.
lukecarter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #20
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecarter07
One host I would highly recommend above all others is Dream Host. I use them for all my sites now and they are brilliant. With their "one click installs" for web forum software, calendars, media galleries and more, it's a very impressive and powerful service.

You also receive a free domain name when your register your hosting package, which is also very affordable.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. Nowadays I don't worry about my hosting.
What are their policies about posting affiliate links on forums? Have you ever tried using too much space/bandwidth or are you just an affiliate who has never actually tried the hosting?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #21
snapmetrics

Selecting any host based on user opinions is a bit tricky -- you can find a few positive and lots of negative opinions on about any host.
snapmetrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #22
NirDahan

I am using siteground and very happy with them.
I was with godaddy before and their interface was quite complicated and I had to quit.
NirDahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #23
jiminsd

I'm a big fan of Below10host.com.

I'd have to go back a number of years but the worst was Addr.com. It gives me chills just thinking about them.
jiminsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #24
akula

I have had no problems with HostMonster for a cheap shared hosting company.
akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #25
Onix

Hi, I guess it's fine when your new hosting company has a Money Back Guarantee policy, So if you do not like the service you can get your money back
Onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #26
Czar

Webmaster

To some degree that's true, but if you're requesting your money back after experience a full day of downtime and several hours of transfer/propagation/support fun while you try to move away again, your bottom-line loss could be dramatically more than one month's hosting fees.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
masm50

I have had very few problems with eleven2.com over the past year or so that I have had a reseller account with them. I'm a happy customer.

-Tim
masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #28
JFS

best host :
shared - dathorn.com
dedicated - ev1servers

worst host :
all the portuguese based companys so far, haven't tried one that's average yet.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
jlwcashflow

When shopping for servers, what should I look for if a site spikes with traffic for protection so I don't pay too much? Also, virtual dedicated vs. dedicated?

JW

Last edited by jlwcashflow; 02-16-2007 at 05:23 PM.
jlwcashflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #30
rkasso

The best hosts are the one who gives more space in less costs and the worst are one who gives more commissions to affiliates to woo customers
rkasso is offline   Reply With Quote