Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2002, 02:25 PM   #16
Kaiosama

Hey Darryl can you clarify on that "large" processing and small bw usage?

How much processing do you need? 1 ghz, dual, 1.7 ghz...
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #17
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Darryl,

You wan't clustered servers with round robin dns so in my view this limits your choices and requires a VERY high end dedicated server host. This may not be good news but thats the reality of the market place. Perhaps I didn't understand your post. Maybe you wan't this option sometime in the future which still limits your choices.

Have you considered a co-lo which after a given number of months will save you the money you invested in building the box?

You are trying to find rackspace like servers and support for significantly less than $288 per month? Correct?

This is a huge huge decision which requires lots of research and thought as I'm sure you understand.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:54 PM   #18
Kaiosama

Yep, if you need clustering then rackshack wouldn't be a good choice. But with $288 per month i didn't think you were doing that at rackspace either.

EDIT:

About RS buying WHT, umm that just bought more negative bias towards RS at wht.

I saw one post where someone complained that RS was supplying "support" in wht to their clients when a RS employee was defending the company he worked for.

I then saw another complaint in post when a client tried to talk of something specific and that same employee said that it should be done privately and not on the forum. Here members were complaining that RS was trying to have their issues not discussed at WHT.

Last edited by Kaiosama; 04-16-2002 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:24 PM   #19
Darryl

Thanks for the replies.

To answer the questions - "large" processing power would mean multiple GHz - either multi-processor machines or spread across multiple machines (which would be better). We'd probably start off with 2 ~1.5GHz machines with 1GB RAM, and add more as the need arises.

Low bandwidth means somewhere between 5 - 10GB/month per machine.

Clustering: It's not something we're doing right now (we're only running one server at the moment...though most of this has arisen due to the need for a second server). It is, however, something we've been talking about and may want to do in the future...so I'd rather not have to move servers again.

Co-lo: I've looked into it, but there really aren't any good, affordable colo facilities around here - and I'd want to be able to physically get to the boxes. I've actually got three 933MHz servers sitting in my house with nothing to do; there's just nowhere to put them that's affordable (they used to be in Q9, but that got too expensive - though they're a great service).

Rackspace-like service isn't necessary - really all I'd want is a) 24x7 monitoring in case it goes down, b) immediate fixing of problems found by a), c) The ability to talk to someone immediately if I have a problem. This can be in the form of phone, email, IM - as long as I get a prompt response or acknowledgement (even if it's "ok, we're looking at it now...").

Really, guys, I'm not hard to please...I swear!
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #20
clay
Member.

i have a server cluster at dialtone. They aren't the best in the world, but they had the best deals on clusters that I could find.

The cluster i have with them is 4 servers, 1 directory, 2 pawns and a dual CPU db server. The 1 db server was actually seperate of the server, and costs about $700 a month by itself. The total for all 4 servers is just over $2000 a month. I think we get a little bit of a discount, so it may be a little more than that for you. I also buy some extra bandwidth, and thats included in that too.

The network is good. They are on OC-36 lines, and this site is on it(unless steve has moved).

It took them about 8 hrs to add the database server to the cluster. Whenever we order a new server with them, they almost always have them setup before the end of the day. Longest i've had to wait was overnight, but that was from a late afternoon order.

The customer service isn't that great, but it has gotten a little better recently.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:02 PM   #21
Steve_S

Quote:
Originally posted by Darryl
That's not much of a savings over RackSpace (where we pay $288/month)...but good to know.
Given your requirements and current pricing I would either try and get a lower price from rackspace via a banner on your sites or stay where you are I wish I had an idea that would help but the level of support that you require and your future plans/options does NOT come cheap.

Also, monitoring needs to be defined as I recently learned

You will pay extra $ to monitor a given page and a bunch of services as opposed to the free monitoring which just tells the NOC geeks if the server is running. It goes down, they hard boot and it's running but named and httpd are still nuked. Yes, they open and close a ticket which you get but it's not the best solution for mission critical stuff.

Sound familiar
Old 04-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #22
Darryl

Quote:
You will pay extra $ to monitor a given page and a bunch of services as opposed to the free monitoring which just tells the NOC geeks if the server is running. It goes down, they hard boot and it's running but named and httpd are still nuked. Yes, they open and close a ticket which you get but it's not the best solution for mission critical stuff.
We've got our servers set up so that a hard reboot loads everything we need - so I'm not too worried about that.

Quote:
...via a banner on your sites...
The irony of that is that the site itself is an ad network (AdProject.net) - so most of the traffic doesn't visit our site, and I'm not willing to cannibalize our members' impressions that way.

Quote:
Also, monitoring needs to be defined as I recently learned
Monitoring for me would mean a) making sure all essential services are running, and b) making sure the server responds to a new request in a reasonable amount of time. For example, during our beta test, we had a runaway Java process that ****** all the resources out of the server, so any new requests timed out; I'd like something that would catch that. This is something, though, that I could contract a third party service for (anyone know of some good ones? I get spam for them all the time, but I refuse to buy anything from a spammer).
Old 04-16-2002, 07:59 PM   #23
Kaiosama

Well, rackshack might work if you do use round robin... Their is a special for p4 servers with 2 60 gb hds, and 1 gb of ram.

$129 per month each... selling like hotcakes...

Now if you could somehow get your ad databases to sync with each server maybe at least once per day then you might be okay with a two server setup for now. Also if you get rr to work correctly with two servers you should be able to do it with as many servers as you need in the future. The only trouble is that you have to do everything yourself. RS won't help with things like this one bit, totally unmanaged service.

Last edited by Kaiosama; 04-16-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:45 PM   #24
Guava

Darryl why don't you look at getting two servers from RackShack. Run one as a dedicated DB server and the other for the processing/serving. I'm guessing you have a large DB (since it's an ad network) and I bet that is taking up a lot of your CPU cycles when selecting which ad to serve and all that jazz. With a seperate machine most of the workload would be split because the DB would operate seperately from your actual ad server.
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:01 PM   #25
Kaiosama

Rackshack will not aid you in that either so you cannot connect the two servers directly... Rather you'll have to go around their network if the two aren't in the same subnet. Will count as bandwidth but that can be acceptable depending on what you run.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #26
Darryl

Guava,

That's what we were planning to do, wherever we end up.

Kaiosama - Rackshack won't connect the two servers on a local subnet? That's harsh...anyone know if Tranxactglobal will do that? I'd definitely want a local connection between the two servers for optimum performance - the bandwidth issue isn't really a concern.

Obviously, I've got a lot of research yet to be done...which I should start looking into seriously early next week.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:18 PM   #27
Kaiosama

Yep, Tranxact Global would probably be a good choice and will let you most likely do this. They are far more flexible then RS but at this stage I'm not sure if they are ready for new customers. There maybe a good delay in support (I could be wrong on that because i'm not with them myself) at this time due to their increased popularity.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:14 AM   #28
Steve_S

If you are so inclined I would suggest a post on WHT at:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Be very specific in your first post with all the juicy details including what you will pay and do and what you won't and use PM to recieve private thoughts or members can post to thread.

Good luck

I will be watching but not posting