Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
notibrian

Default Another crazy offer from rackshack!!!

i really can't beleive my eyes and though that someone might be interested as well!!! 1ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, 300 BW, $99/month!!!! although the setup cost is $499 ... well, if you amortise it for a year the total monthly fees is only around $150 ... the best deal around!

i am thinking of getting one myself next year as in my opinion rackshack grows too fast and the support team seems to be unable to catch up with the growth. but for a linux admin expert, i think rackshack is the best place to go now

by the way, technically whats the difference between intel 1ghz and amd 1ghz?

for rackshack url : http://rackshack.net
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 12:27 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

major difference between amd duron 1ghz and a p3 1ghz is the size of the L2 cache... p3 has a much larger L2 cache and also the specs on the offerings at rackshack.net p3's motherboard is limited to max 512mb ram whereas duron's motherboard limit is max 1 gb ram

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:22 PM   #3
notibrian

so is it that since p3 has a larger cache, it would be better/faster/more reliable? as the cost for p3 512 and amd 1gb is the same
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:52 PM   #4
Ted S

Its actually a hard call to make... on one hand, you have the p3, which has a much larger, and better cache. This is essential to hosting dynamic sites as you want things like scripts and similar to have good cache access. However, ram also is important to a dynamic site and while 512 is good for most people, it never hurts to have more.

In the end, it gets down to this... expandability. To change your cpu, you have to change motherboards and get a new system. Adding ram is cheap and only takes a few minutes. My recommendation is for the Intel p3 with 512 ram. Most any server of these specifications will rock for any normal sized site. I just wonder how economical this deal really isÖ.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:20 PM   #5
Kaiosama

Default Hmm... About Plesk

I noticed that all the new Linux boxes come with Plesk. Does anyone know if it's the free 1 domain version or another license?

It would really be an expensive set-up if you had to pay $200 (30 domain license) additional dollars for more then one domain. $499+$200= $699 for the 1 gig ram amd and the p3 package.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:37 PM   #6
Ted S

Kaiosama, thats my point... even in huge bulk, 500 bucks for the machine is a good deal (although doable)... a hundred a month would cover costs but notby much. Its doable, question is how smart is it.... i guess they work off massive volume
Old 11-24-2001, 10:59 PM   #7
singloon

GeekGuide

Default Re: Hmm... About Plesk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiosama
I noticed that all the new Linux boxes come with Plesk. Does anyone know if it's the free 1 domain version or another license?

It would really be an expensive set-up if you had to pay $200 (30 domain license) additional dollars for more then one domain. $499+$200= $699 for the 1 gig ram amd and the p3 package.
those rackshack.net servers come with the 200 domain license of plesk included in the setup fee

Old 11-24-2001, 11:02 PM   #8
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sindzinski
Kaiosama, thats my point... even in huge bulk, 500 bucks for the machine is a good deal (although doable)... a hundred a month would cover costs but notby much. Its doable, question is how smart is it.... i guess they work off massive volume
well rackshack.net's it's linux p3 servers from www.online-spectrum.com so does dtwebworks.com/affordablecolo.com/affordableservers.net

not sure where they get their duron servers from.. i did mention to headsurfer (ceo of rackshack.net) about www.eracks.com for rackmount duron servers maybe that's where they get them

the hardware for duron servers would cost US$895 - 1200 so i guess with large bulk order arrangements it would be quite cheap

Old 11-25-2001, 09:31 AM   #9
Scuba

Looking at eRacks site and, Damm they are expencive !!!
On today market they must be doing quite a sum with this prices. (what will give then the option to make a Bulk sale at resnoble price).....
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 10:23 AM   #10
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba
Looking at eRacks site and, Damm they are expencive !!!
On today market they must be doing quite a sum with this prices. (what will give then the option to make a Bulk sale at resnoble price).....
probably the most part of the expense there is the actual rackmount chasis case for them

durons and athlons are cheap when it comes to desk top cases etc but rackmount?

Old 11-25-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
Ted S

On average, cases cost anywhere from $125 - $250 depending on the features and maker. Granted rackspace could make their own cases and if they order in high volume, they may get the cases for a hundred or so but then there's the matter of fitting everything in a 1u. That means low profile memory, special motherboards, optional pci raiser cards, special power supply and drive bays and more.

When you buy in bulk of 500 or 1000 machines its certainly possible to build servers like this for 800, maybe even 500, depending on how low you go.
This is about what I pay for a 1u right now:

Case: $200
Motherboard: $70
CPU: $140 (p3) - $56 (Duron) - $147 (Athlon)
512 ram: $90 (low profile, reg with ecc)
(2x) 40 gig ide drives: $80 each ($160)
Cdrom: $25

So basically, the total is about $680 dollars (less for a duron). You also have to factor in misc. parts for the drive kits, a fan for the cpu and what not so the machines actually run for more like $750 subject ot market change. If they order as resellers in a small bulk, they can easily save 15% or about 112.5 which brings the machines down to 630. Now I buy nice products, if they even somewhat cheat, getting a machine for $500 or close isnít too hard and I guess they figure whatever difference there is will be made up by the monthly fee.

I'm still shocked how they offer 300 gigs of bandwidth with these machines and I really wonder how much they actually use in the end?

On a similar note, their front page shows them out of all their $99 machines which I would imagine happens all the time. If you really think about it, this company may make very little per client and very little period but they are collecting a huge amount of hardware to the point that they make a killing on leaving clients. For example, if they pay off the price of a machine in the $499 setup fee then after the first client leaves, the second client is essentially giving them $499 in pure profit.

I've been thinking about running a similar offer (lower than average prices) with dual p3 servers... any thoughts? What about this deal... anyone signing up?
Old 11-25-2001, 06:02 PM   #12
Duchz

Ted,
Are you able to offer 300 Gbyte Transfer / month? That is why the most users are signing their contracts with rackshack.net.

Always remember : Human beings are greedy. Whenever they can get something for free or extremely cheap they can't refuse to click the 'Order'-button and hack their Credit Card Info into the keyboard.

Greetings,
Duchz
Duchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 06:14 PM   #13
Ted S

Duchz - nope.... i wish Seriously though, Im not offering anything now, just trying to learn off of the rackshack model to see just what it is people expect/ look at

As for rackshack's bandwidth offer... i imagine that gets a lot of signups, i just wonder how many people use mroe than 50 gigs of that bandwidth...

Last edited by Ted S; 11-25-2001 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:26 PM   #14
Kaiosama

Rackshack.net's parent company Ev1.net is mostly a dsl provider and according to them (and the ceo of TB) most of the bandwidth they provide are unused (outgoing traffic).

As for them making a profit... The hardware would be payed of easily in less then 4 months and rackshack still owns the hardware. Afterwards most of the money would be profit, unless more then 30% of their customers user 300 gigs of bandwidth.

What i really could not understand was how and if they made a profit with those cobalt raqs. They are pretty expensive compared to the current to the new and much more powerful hardware.

What is up with Sun/Cobalt? Their prices are still crazy... I'll bet if they came down to earth their marketshare would easily skyrocket.

BTW, the 200 domain license of Plesk is really looking good now...
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 09:12 PM   #15
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

<BTW, the 200 domain license of Plesk is really looking good now...>

Yes BUT

Will they give me 200 IPs? Let's assume the "use" issue is resolved and natch they can "ping" the ones I have. One at a time or a block of 5 or 10? Boy, I hope they have this automated

That's nearly a complete class c license. Or, would they require name based hosting or something somewhere in the middle? As their TOS appears to imply?
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote