Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2001, 09:26 PM   #16
Ted S

But heres the better question Steve, why do you need 3 ips let alone 200? Name based hosting can run hundreds of names. 2 is enough for a name server... and while ips can sell for more with a hosting package but why do you need em?
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 11:07 PM   #17
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

1. SE

2. The perception is better. "Your own IP"

BUT, at this price, a trade off here or their is perfectly fine.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:59 AM   #18
notibrian

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sindzinski
Duchz - nope.... i wish Seriously though, Im not offering anything now, just trying to learn off of the rackshack model to see just what it is people expect/ look at

As for rackshack's bandwidth offer... i imagine that gets a lot of signups, i just wonder how many people use mroe than 50 gigs of that bandwidth...
if its a dual p3 server and lower setup cost then i think there will be lots sign-ups ... but the bandwidth must not be too low ... e.g. 50GB/month compare to 300GB/month with rackshack. in my opinion most of the dedicated server users are either webmasters themselves or webhosting business people ... webmasters will definitely look for more bandwidth as they are expecting for growth and webhosting business people want more bandwidth so that they can offer more ... even they are using 30gb/month they wish they can get 300gb/month. just my 2cents
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 06:11 AM   #19
padders

Rackshack are also saving costs because they are not using 1U racks, they are using midi towers as far as I know, if you see their new datacenter, space is not really a concern. This is probably saving them $100 bucks per server set up, they probably can get cases in bulk with power supply for $15
padders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 03:00 PM   #20
Kaiosama

Also note that usage of 1u's only benefit the host because of the reduced space. Towers are actually better servers for cooling reasons. Especially since we are talking about amd processors as well.

But those are really small things and should not be matter since these are duron processors and from what i hear aren't as bad as the athlons. I just want everyone to know that towers are just as good if not better then 1u's.

Some other forums have downplayed the usage of these towers for poor reasons.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 03:28 PM   #21
padders

yup, and having a tower should mean that adding a new hard drive will be easier as well.

shame the athlon 1gb are only 2 x 20GB hard drive. i wanted to use one of the hds for backup but @ 20GB is probably not going to be enough.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:34 PM   #22
singloon

GeekGuide

am i missing something i don't see Athlons only durons being offered at rackshack.net ?

from what i gather p3s are rackmount while durons are tower casings

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 05:49 PM   #23
Kaiosama

Well I did mention that Athlon's have a much worse time getting cooled then Durons. I didn't mean they were hosting them and I don't think anyone else mentioned them...
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 05:55 PM   #24
padders

Quote:
Originally posted by singloon
am i missing something i don't see Athlons only durons being offered at rackshack.net ?

from what i gather p3s are rackmount while durons are tower casings
makes sense, i guess this is where the motherboard 512MB ram limit comes from, a very strange decision though IMHO.

Does make the AMD look a little more expensive though. I would think the differences are something like

- 1 U case + $100
- 2 x 40GB instead of 2x20GB + $60
- Intel not Amd process + $30
- 512MB ram - $70

does make the PIII appear better value (although of course the case makes no difference to us, but it does cost rackshack more i would think) although i think i will go for the AMD with 1GB.