Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
tomattomat

Hi tomattomat,

What is your ticket number? I would like to review it for you. We get about 4 chargebacks a day for various reasons such as the card being stolen, customers forgetting they have an account with us, credit card companys making mistakes, upset spouses, angry business partner, and the list goes on and on. If you did in fact do a chargeback that would explain why your account was shut down. It's possible we made some type of mistake which I could look into for you. If we did it will be the first chargeback mistake we've ever made out of the 500+ we've done to date.

My ticket # was YOK-715673. There are various reasons for a chargeback error, which hostgator has simply decided to ignore. It concerns my credit and therefore I need a reasonable explanation other than an utter quiet.

1. card being stolen (or stolen identity). If this is the case, I would contact my credit card and cancel my accounts.

2. credit card companys making mistakes. Ok. I understand. Everybody makes mistakes.

3. angry business partner. I have none. So, this is out of question.

4. Hostgator made some type of mistake. Ok. Then, as you promised,
It's possible we made some type of mistake which I could look into for you.

Not trying to belabor my points here. But, as a customer, I need the right to know what causes the chargeback, right? Or, maybe hostgator can simply flip a switch and decide that it can suspend any accounts at random (without proper explanation)
tomattomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
Scot Johnson

Oohhh no.

Just as I switch from Site5 to HostGator I scroll across this thread

I'm about to bite the bullet and just buy a dedicated server with Peer1 or something. Hopefully HostGator "does me right" and this doesn't happen *crossesfingers*
Scot Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #18
skodie

what was wrong w/ my post??
skodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #19
Larwee

GeekGuide

skodie, you should use this feedback form to ask that question
http://www.geekvillage.com/feedback_form_for_bb.htm
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #20
tomattomat

Hi, can anyone accesss hostgator main site? They have been down for 4-5 hours. Accidentally, my site too can't be accessed.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #21
Larwee

GeekGuide

tomattomat, I was able to access it with no problem.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomattomat
Hi, can anyone accesss hostgator main site? They have been down for 4-5 hours. Accidentally, my site too can't be accessed.
This thread may explain things for you. See Brents response on the last page.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542264
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #23
tomattomat

Wow. Thanks for your resourceful info. A couple of my favorite websites was down too. I guess they were using hostgator's shared hosting service. Anyway, things are fixed now.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #24
Czar

Webmaster

HostGator has again been hit hard by hijackers after failing to keep their servers patched:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...e_exploit.html

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #25
lindsey

So from a partial read I have done on the link. Is that the virus that was installed in their cPanell only affected visitors/users with IE. So it didnt affect those using Mozilla. So am I understanding that correctly?

But after some more reading. It doesnt sound like they have it under control as of yet. To me it sounds like it could take a few more days to clean out this trojan off of their cPanel.

Sorry to hear about everyone's woes with HostGator. I hope it gets cleared up soon.
lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:47 AM   #26
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar
HostGator has again been hit hard by hijackers after failing to keep their servers patched:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...e_exploit.html
Czar, it appears to be a lot more involved than hostgator being lax. Other hosts are also affected as seen by discussions at WHT, hostgator forum and cpanel forum. Beats me why cPanel is still the flavour of the decade
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote