Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2001, 04:42 PM   #16
demae

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by SSacobie:
If you're getting 200GB for $40/month, I wouldn't worry about a slow connection.
Why not?
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 08:35 PM   #17
SSacobie

Unhappy

I've paid as much as $800 for 200GB, and there have been times I've had problems with very noticeable slow connections even at those rates.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 10:16 PM   #18
Recoil_Remy
-----

Thumbs down

A+ does not stand by their customers. They are spineless and not deserving of your business.

Check out this link. http://wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,41247,00.html

Ask your self how you would feel if this happened to you.

Cheers,
Recoil_Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 04:33 AM   #19
demae

Unhappy

You have the companies mixed up, I think.

The spineless company mentioned in that article is "A+Net Internet Services" at www.abac.com.

The company that was hosting me is "A+ Hosting" at www.aplushosting.com.
Old 02-20-2001, 02:18 PM   #20
Recoil_Remy
-----

Unhappy

Ooops.. My mistake sorry guys must have been tired.

------------------
theANGRYinvestor.com
Recoil_Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 09:52 PM   #21
Ex

Wink

I've learnt that unlimited bandwidth offer through the hard way. Yes, they do offer, but what about services and speed? Downtime? Support turnaround time?

Unless you are looking at price alone, then its ok, but if you're serving a reputable site, I suggest pay a little bit more for services. But then again, that's my thoughts only.

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 10:00 PM   #22
demae

Unhappy

Quote:
I've learnt that unlimited bandwidth offer through the hard way. Yes, they do offer, but what about services and speed? Downtime? Support turnaround time?
I'm looking at bandwidth costs of $400-600 a month here, if I go with a non-unlimited host ($2-$3 per GB). I'm not even making that much money right now with the current state of the advertising market.

I figure if I can cut hosting costs to $100-200, it will help a lot.

I've found out that one 'tactic' unlimited bandwidth hosts use to limit your bandwidth usage is to limit your CPU time. If you have a very busy site (like mine), you are going to exceed their CPU limit and then they can kick you out.

With virtual servers that offer unlimited bandwidth, I can get around the CPU problem, since I can tune the web server for optimal performance. By replacing Apache web server with thttpd, I'll use about 1/3 the resources as before. (thttpd is very feature light, but since AnimeWallpapers.com is all static files generated by a Makefile, Apache's advanced features are not needed.)

I'm hoping to get moved into a new host in the next few days. This host problem cropped up at the worst possible time: On March 1 I have to take my Ph.D. preliminary examination (Computer Science), and the rest of my Ph.D. degree hinges on my passing this exam.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:34 PM   #23
SSacobie

Unhappy

I don't think most ISP's would have stood up to Nintendo in that case. Nintendo can and will bully anyone and everyone for any or no reason at all. Granted, if you can find one that doesn't panic and cave right away, go for it. I know that when one of our affiliates was accused of copyright infringement, it blew over, but it took a few weeks. In this situation, Rackspace gave us whatever time we needed, which makes sense because the contract indemnified them. However, in a similar situation, Digital Space gave us 24 hours.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote