Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2001, 05:50 AM   #1
willsii

Default Starting up a web design company?

Hello there,
I am young (15 years old) and have some knowledge on web design and development.
I wanted to start up a small web design company (well maybe just as a hobby) that could design web sites for local companies at a fairly cheap price.
Before I could do this, what would I need to do? Copyright issues etc.
If anyone can help me out here, it would be great.

Yours thankfully,
J Wills
willsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 10:11 AM   #2
OC

Hi, there.

As long as you have talent, your age shouldn't be a problem. Start by making a few sites for free to develop a portfolio potential paying customers would look at. Be sure to have a simple contract for each job you do, and require a deposit of 25% or 50% before you start a job.

I've found a wealth of information about becoming a professional web designer by searching for "web design", "webdesign", and "designer" at http://wilsonweb.com (you just have to dig through it a little).

I'm pondering starting a niche web design firm myself, so I'd also appreciate you posting any good resources about the matter.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 11:45 PM   #3
chadhardy

Default Online web design school

My name is Chad Hardy and I created The Web Design School solely for the purpose of teaching interested people the skills needed to become freelance web designers. My school is a lot different than other online schools because I put emphasis on getting clients, keeping clients happy, and project management. All of these are needed if you want to be successful.

If you want more information on the school check out the website:
The Web Design School

If either of you have any questions please feel free to email as well.

Thanks,
Chad Hardy
The Web Design School
chadhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
willsii

Hey thanks,
If I did web design and advertised in the local paper, would I need to register as a business?

thanks,
joe
Old 10-07-2001, 06:51 PM   #5
SiliconAlleyDude

To cover yourself against legal issues it is always better to incorporate yourself, registering as a business itself really does not do much for you. The fees and requirements are set up different everywhere.
SiliconAlleyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 01:05 AM   #6
willsii

SiliconAlleyDude, what do you mean by incorporating yourself?

Joe
Old 10-09-2001, 01:41 PM   #7
demae

Go to http://www.goto.com/ and search for LLC. That will give you information on how to incorporate yourself as a Limited Liability Company.

Basically, it costs about $200 to set yourself up as a LLC. The LLC would be a legally separate entity from yourself, meaning that debts that your company incur cannot be collected from your personal (non-company) assets. Someone else here can explain it better; I only know the basics of an LLC.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:14 AM   #8
david11982

In this case I believe your age will be a benefit to you. There are laws (at least in some states) that treat minors differently than adults on issues of business and taxation etc. I would suggest getting started as soon as possible, because as you get older the rules will change. I know several people that are under 18 that are currently working as webmasters for local businesses. Just keep a well-organized portfolio of all the work you do and make sure to stick to contracts you agree to. I'm not sure if it's a great idea to incorporate yourself or anything like that, I think you may get in over your head. Most of the people I know that work as webmasters just use it as a hobby that also makes them money, there are professional webmasters that get paid the big $$$, but they tend to work for larger companies. If you are just working on your own on a project by project basis I don't see how you could incur any significant losses. It's like mowing the lawn for your neighbor, you really aren't at risk (unless you mow over your toes, lol). And if you did end up in debt to a client, chances are they are not going to go after a minors assets (very bad publicity). If you plan to make this bigger when you are older you should look into incorporating your business, but for now I think you should keep things small and under control.
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote