Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do your July figures stack up against your 3-monthly EPC?
Modern-me is getting it's butt whipped. I'm making nothing. 40 43.01%
My EPC and EPM are way down, but a few leads are trickling through. 30 32.26%
Open Marketplace hasn't had an effect. My results are about the same. 10 10.75%
I'm still saving for that Porsche. Open Marketplace has boosted my returns somewhat. 8 8.60%
I pity the fool who started this poll. My July stats are sky-high! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2001, 02:03 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Question CJ Results - July

The Open Marketplace promised to improve average conversion ratios across-the-board, while assisting both advertisers and publishers associated with CJ to maximize their ROI, an minimize their time spend administering an account.

Well, since it rolled out, some affiliates have been hounded by administrative hassles, extended reporting delays, been forced to negotiate massive lists of temporarily deactivated advertiser accounts, and seen slipping revenues.

Personally, I've seen my EPC drop from a 3-monthly figure of $3.81 down to a 7-day figure of just $0.51 - despite the fact that I've allocated increased inventory to merchants that are apparently leading converters.

This is not intended as a direct criticism of CJ, since we all know that much of the onus in placed on the publisher insofar as increasing conversions in concerned. Nevertheless, I thought that it may make for interesting reading to see just how the greater publisher ranks are finding their results in the wake of CJ's sweeping system changes.

So please plug an anonymous vote in the informal poll above if you are a CJ member. The results may or may not be representative of the entire CJ population, but should be of value to those looking to maximize the value of their inventory.

Those who are doing well, please chip in with tips as to how you used the Open Marketplace and/or other techniques to boost your conversion ratios.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 07-28-2001, 03:35 AM   #2
tradermcduck

This poll is a good idea! I think many of us were not able to boost their revenue...

From my point of view EPC is relatively (note: I wrote relatively) worthless! It is a good tool to detect shaving advertisers but that is more or less all. Someone using ppc search engine traffic will get a very high EPC with a sponsor (e. g. $65). A content site using that sponsor with a banner will get a lower EPC (e.g. $2)...

However the biggest problem with CJ is their PUBLISHER SUPPORT!!! My payment status for June is stuck ("...currently processed. Check back tomorrow.."). The last three days I emailed 4 different adresses several times and got NO response so far! I am a member for almost a year now - I earned them at least $1000 - I am in the "95th percentile and above"...
Old 07-28-2001, 06:05 AM   #3
WildComputer

Some other comments

- On the publisher side I boosted my EPC dramatically in June - by removing some dead links which were getting traffic, and taking most CJ ads out of banner rotations (i.e. they are in targeted text links). They are getting much less traffic from me - but better quality

- Some good advertisers have left CJ - FindWhat, MoreOver

- The above 2 means my CJ earnings are kind of joke even though my EPC is up. I'm very much concentrating on other programs now... CJ is down from maybe 10% of my activity to < 1%. I know that I'm showing less than 10% of the impressions in July that I've show in previous months...

Slightly Off topic - CJ have made one horrible change - when you get the message saying an advertiser quit it gives you a web page which you must log in to see the list. Before it use to include the name of the advertiser in the message -- the web page is good --- but why can't they include the name of the advertiser in the message

Back on topic - I wonder how accurate these EPCs are:

As of yesterday, on the merchant side
- Hits4me.com's 3 month EPC shows as $3
- Hits4me.com's 7 day EPC shows as $0.00
I was down for a while (as members to this forum know - I preannounced it), but has now been back for a while and IS tracking leads (they show in my transaction logs), and the 7 day EPC doesn't go back up. It doesn't seem to get recalculated (!?)

Back off-topic - I don't want to announce that Hits4me's back via CJ's messaging or CJ's email, as I've had some problems with my account (they incorrectly billed me) which started as a result of this and have been going on since July 1st - and still are not resolved!
Old 07-28-2001, 06:48 AM   #4
Jan

Administrator

Wildcomputer, I think you might still have a problem. I took your link of a few pages but there is still one, (where I hoped it would pay off)

I clicked on it to get a 'free site analysis' and have filled in monthly uniques and monthly page views three times and keep getting error message

"Please correct these Errors, then press OK

1. You must enter a number of monthly visitors

2. You must enter a number of monthly page views"

I don't know how far CJ follow these through, but that might explain things ????
Old 07-28-2001, 07:09 AM   #5
WildComputer

I just tried the form and it works. Change 0 in the field into some number, that's what it's asking for

I'm not saying there are never any problems with my forms, but they work at least as well as before as it's the same code but on a faster server + connection. Also I recorded a whole bunch of new leads right up to now, including in my CJ transaction log (i.e. I've paid for them)

So I am tracking leads, it is working, but the EPC is not going back up.
Old 07-28-2001, 07:16 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

I DID change the number from 0 .....to a rough estimate of monthly uniques and page views.

<edit> An afterthought. As mentioned in another thread I am not doing CJ after end of July, so no problemo. I just thought I would give it one last shot in the two days left to see if my balance would move up at least one cent in weeks</edit>

Last edited by Jan; 07-28-2001 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2001, 07:35 AM   #7
WildComputer

Jan - Can you send me a screenshot of what you have on the form Hit ALT+PrintScreen and paste into your email or paint program. If there is an issue on this form (a) I want to know, and (b) it's not stopping most of the leads going thru CJ as I have tracked a whole bunch of new leads in CJ (including via this form) in the last few days

Last edited by WildComputer; 07-28-2001 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2001, 12:25 PM   #8
dbcooper

>Personally, I've seen my EPC drop from a 3-monthly figure of $3.81 down to a 7-day figure of just $0.51 - despite the fact that I've allocated increased inventory to merchants that are apparently leading converters.

Same kind of thing happening here Czar. I've dropped from around $3 to $1.6. I had good relationships with several of the merchants that were CPC (high clicks, they checked me out, no fraud) and they've emailed me and promised to work out something that would return me to the same effective CPM.
Old 07-28-2001, 04:37 PM   #9
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

My 3 month EPC is 79 cents, and 7 days EPC is $1.73. That's gone up just because my eBay leads have exploded in the last three months, going up each month, making from $200, to $500, to $1,000. (Been adding thousands of ebay links over the last three months.)
Old 07-29-2001, 12:01 AM   #10
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by WildComputer
Jan - Can you send me a screenshot of what you have on the form Hit ALT+PrintScreen and paste into your email or paint program. If there is an issue on this form (a) I want to know, and (b) it's not stopping most of the leads going thru CJ as I have tracked a whole bunch of new leads in CJ (including via this form) in the last few days
I just tried to access the page from my CJ link but it couldn't be found I will again later.

<edit> Over four hours of trying periodically, I still can't access the site </edit>

Last edited by Jan; 07-29-2001 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:13 AM   #11
dot_com

I have Given up on CJ. I have sent them a couple emails, and i never get a reply, so i am not using them anymore...
Old 07-29-2001, 02:11 AM   #12
sdarken

Very interesting thread Czar.

I think it is unfortunate that the click-through programs have been phased out at roughly the same time that the new open marketplace changes were introduced as the net result for a huge number of webmasters like us is that our returns have generally dropped substantially. Lets face it. Despite all the talk about CPA/CPS being the way of the future, it is much harder for a webmaster to be successfull with these sorts of programs than it is to be paid for click throughs.

That having been said, I think that the ability to identify dud programs is a huge plus for webmasters who use CJ. When evaluating merchants (assuming they have been running for at least a few weeks), it is possible to immediately determine whether it is likely to be worth the trouble to add & monitor links for a given merchant. I also really like the ability to view the banners & links ranked by EPC/EPM. This feature is great for both merchants and webmasters since it maximizes returns without the need to run extensive experiments to try and figure out the best links/banners.

By the way, in my opinion I think that focusing on your own EPC is a real waste of time. Does it matter whether I made my $50 from 10 clicks or 100 clicks? No. My 3 month EPC is $3.77 and my 7 day EPC $2.35 but my EPM this month is $0.07 and that is the figure that really shows how effective my CJ programs have been recently. (Not very impressive.)

<off topic>
Could someone explain what it really means when a link is expired. This is what I usually get via mail when a link expires...

Link id xxxxxx is set to expire approximately xx days from today. While this link will still be tracked, we recommend that you replace this link with one of newer links.

If I want, can I continue to use an expired link? Will I get paid for leads generated via expired links? I recently changed some Ebay search boxes (interactive links) when the original search box expired. The result has been horrible and I would like to continue using the expired link
</off topic>

CJ is not perfect but in my opinion it certainly has to be considered one of the best companies out there in todays tough market.

Last edited by sdarken; 07-29-2001 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:34 AM   #13
WildComputer

Jan - I think that is a CJ problem not me (you said you're going via the CJ link) as my web server shows no breaks in activity during the last day. My telecoms provider was having a problem earlier in the week but these have been solved since Thursday and my site and connection have been up continuous since then. I know CJ have had a similar (???) problem with their stuff as I read that on another message board.

sdarken - expired links still track leads etc provided the merchant is still with CJ. I believe.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:44 AM   #14
Jan

Administrator

Okay I just tried to get in from here and page still won't open???

If you can spare a couple of minutes to fill out a couple of very short survey forms, we'll write (for free of course) a Totally Personal Report
for you (12 pages of expert tips and advice) about your web site, and ways you can get more traffic and/or increase earnings. Also included with this offer, is a free subscription to our Site Profits E-mail Newsletter.

If you want take up this offer, just go to:
http://www.hits4me.com/siteprofit.asp

Oh and if it is a CJ problem, can't you take the issue up with them? That must be severely limiting your sign ups and annoying affiliates.

Yet another edit

This link (ID snipped)
http://www.hits4me.com/custom/joke.asp?vote=****
'nearly' opens in Netscape, but there is a javascipt error. In IE page cannot be found.

Last edited by Jan; 07-29-2001 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:30 AM   #15
WildComputer

I just can't duplicate the problem you're seeing Jan. I opened both pages you mentioned via London dial-up and remotely via a server in MA USA. I am tracking new leads, including via CJ. Since your 6am post I tracked about 20 or so via CJ's affiliates

Any JavaScript problem is not related to CJ, but I don't see it

Any problem on the qksrv/CJ links is a CJ problem (some of the ads links go thru to that siteprofit page) and I believe I read there is a problem with CJ's telecoms provider (Exodus?), I read it on a message board. I never replicated this problem myself though - just heard it 2nd hand

BTW if there is a telecoms problem at CJ, I'm not real hopeful of them talking to me about it directly... presumably it affects a lot of people, my last problem with CJ took them from August to Feb to resolve - and I've had an open issue [not related to tracking or accessibility] with them since July 1st - with no sign of movement or resolution despite repeated my many follow-ups