Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2000, 07:02 PM   #1
justjeni

Red face HTML editor

I've just learned the very basics of HTML and building a web page and am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to clue me in on just what an HTML editor is and how it helps? Would really appreciate it!
Jeni
justjeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2000, 08:35 PM   #2
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

The Editors are what you type the html in to, like Notepad. Some are desgned differently, like some so you can quickly change pages, so if you were to change layout, to get it all done in half the time (For example, Weborama my favourite). Then you get things with many codes, such as for frames, forms, links etc, so if your forgetful there there, and some can preview your page (My second fav Arch something). Ever heard sites say soemthing like "copy this code and paste on your HTML editor"?
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 09:48 AM   #3
Johnny
Member.

Unhappy

Homesite,
its a very usually editor for people use pure html... I us it because it have the table of colors... so it will be easy for you to put in any colors... and it organize your html codes..
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 09:51 AM   #4
Johnny
Member.

Unhappy

Homesite,
its a very usually editor for people use pure html... I us it because it have the table of colors... so it will be easy for you to put in any colors... and it organize your html codes..
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 12:17 PM   #5
m3rcury

Unhappy

riiiiiiigggght.
Get macromedia dreamweaver. You can get a free trial at macromedia.com

------------------
SHANE

www.fantasticards.com
m3rcury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 01:58 PM   #6
Doc

Thumbs up

I'm with m3rcury. Dreamweaver is the best thing I've seen, I'm about to switch over.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE FRONTPAGE!!!

It will warp you in ways impossible to imagine.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 03:51 PM   #7
ShaneD

Unhappy

This one is very comparable to Homesite which i use and this one is free http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage/

Has tree levels of use easy moderate and expert

------------------
The Ultimate Entertainment Network
www.coolsurfin.com
ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 05:42 PM   #8
justjeni

Smile

Hi everyone - thanks to all of you! mlbs, I see that "copy this code..." all the time but I don't know how to do that yet! I tried once and wiped out my web site, but I tried through something on my server not having a clue as to what I was doing. Ouch...haha.
Johnny, I will definitely check out homesite! I'm learning here, so I'll make notes of all the advice here.
Doc, m3rcury, I will give very seriuos thought to this dreamweaver. I like it that they give a free trial - especially since I'm not very adept at all this yet. I read threads about dreamwweaver and it appears everyone really loves it! I hadn't heard of it until I joined geekvillage! :-), smartest move I've made in a while.
Doc, you mentioned Frontpage will warp? May I ask what that means? Now that I have on my computer...lol. Sigh. I opened it once but that was that. Well, I will heed that advice too...gladly.
Thanks to you all...made notes here of everything you all said and truly appreciate your input!
Jeni
Old 07-25-2000, 08:54 PM   #9
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

Jeni: Oh, I never had that problem with copying and posting http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. Just make sure that you know where your putting it, like not selecting everything to post and not putting text inside < here http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif >.

ShaneD: I saw that at The Free Site and sounds real good. I'm hoping for the second realease soon. Anyway, Is it just me or has the layout changes overnight? Oh... nah just usually go to the domain straight http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2000, 06:43 AM   #10
ShaneD

Smile

Yea that is why i put the direct link there because the new version is out and the links do not work on the main page
ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2000, 12:02 PM   #11
Doc

Unhappy

Jeni,

What I meant when I said Frontpage would "warp" you, is well, IT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS!!

When you first start using it you'll think "Hey, this is kinda neat" (That is if you have the limited knowledge that I did, and still do http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif)

Then you start noticing its little quirks. 1)It adds bits of code here and there and you can't figure out where they came from.

2)You notice its geared predominantly towards Internet Explorer users. This makes it fun when you think you've finished everything on your page, and you go to preview it in both IE and Netscape.

3)You try to use an html analyzer to help you find flaws and it reports over 60, and you don't know where the heck they came from.

4)Hover buttons....they are simply EVIIIL!

On the other side, it can do some nice things, although most of these are beyond my grasp http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Generally, the frustration I experienced with Frontpage has made me willing to learn Dreamweaver, a program which is new to me. In fact, I even took the time to use the tutorial, and I've never done that with any program. (although i probably should have )
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2000, 04:52 PM   #12
justjeni

Talking

Hahahaha...I guess my mind was warped!!! I was thinking...well, you apparently know what I was thinking - that it actually warped the web page! Good grief! This is what happens to you when you are totally alone in all this and totally green to boot!! Lol...still chuckling at my own stupidity.
Seriously though, thanks for clarifying that. I most likely would have gone on thinking my page would literally look warped if I tried Frontpage and goofed!
This dreamweaver sounds like something esle from all the threads I've read right here. I'm still confused as to why you can build one on notepad, but then there is Frontpage, Dreamweaver...but hopefully as I learn more this will all make more sense to me. Right now I'm just playing around in notepad to get the basics down...and hey, they haven't been warped!! :-)
Jeni
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
GarytheGolfer

Dreamweaver, Dreamweaver, Dreamweaver, unless you are a master coder. I am a designer and using the adobe cs suite is the industry standard. And it color codes everything to help you stay organized.
GarytheGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote