Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How often do you backup your site and or dedicated server?
Every 6 hours 0 0%
Every 12 hours 1 1.22%
Every day 26 31.71%
Once a week 8 9.76%
Once a month 6 7.32%
Every so often 18 21.95%
Other time schedule 2 2.44%
Never 21 25.61%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2001, 06:08 PM   #16
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

AND if I could respectfully suggest based on an email I just received from a third party:

Raid/Mirror on a server/machine connected to the net can be hacked and the drive nuked. Tape in a secure location is better.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:43 AM   #17
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
AND if I could respectfully suggest based on an email I just received from a third party:

Raid/Mirror on a server/machine connected to the net can be hacked and the drive nuked. Tape in a secure location is better.
you sure about that Steve ? i gotta ask around because my next planned server for web hosting will be raided

Old 12-25-2001, 08:29 PM   #18
Steve_S

Georgie Geek

Merry xmas

Yep, I'm very sure that this procedure should never be done.

This issue brought tears to my eyes. One of THE very very best sites in it's space. With an outstanding BB that we all loved. A name you will certainly recognize as it's our very own "Arie"

Read it here:

http://www.infinisource.com/features/hacked.html

Tape or another data center/Host is the only way to go. Preferably behind a firewall. If all else fails a regular download to your local machine which is not connected to the net or sits behind a real firewall.

Buy his stuff and help the cause at:

http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/

He may need some help bringing his BB up <wink> so your outstanding expertise in this area will certianly be helpfull.

Last edited by Steve_S; 12-25-2001 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:34 PM   #19
singloon

GeekGuide

Arie told me about that unfortunate incident

so they got in through wu-ftp security bug and not the raid itself

Old 01-02-2002, 05:17 PM   #20
Jan

Administrator

Yesterday,
All those backups seemed a waste of pay.
Now my database has gone away.
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
There's not half the files there used to be.
There's a deadline hanging over me.
The system crashed so suddenly.

I pushed something wrong.
What it was I could not say.
Now- all my data's gone
And I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay...

Yesterday,
The need for backups seemed so far away.
I knew my data was all here to stay.
Now I believe in yesterday...

Old 01-21-2002, 12:36 AM   #21
batcavenet

Default site backups

Every day - all data is a good idea and have a lot of tapes - like one per day for 30 days - that's just me - JDT
Old 01-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #22
demae

Right. RAID just makes a real-time copy of the hard drive. If the files on the hard drive get deleted/corrupted, the RAID copy likewise gets deleted/corrupted.

I use a daily cron job that runs rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) to synchronize the files on a remote server. This is an incremental backup, so I could recreate the state of the hard disk for any day up to 7 days ago. The backup server has access to read the main server and no more. The main server has no access to the backup server.

It actually came in handy when the disk on my RackShack AMD Duron got corrupted just last Sunday, and their techs claimed that they could do nothing except restore the hard drive. I had a 20 hour old backup and managed to get my sites up and running in a few hours using the backup (after my hardware was operational again).

It was a bit of a pain to restore things because my backup only backed up data, not software (which I had to reinstall). If I had configured the backup to also get the software that I installed, it could have been a near-instantaneous restore. (Hmm, I could have found the files for all the software by doing a "find /" based on date.)

Last edited by demae; 01-24-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:08 AM   #23
Furton

I've never backed up my server, even when upgrading stuff like forums and news system's.

I would backup my server if I could find a program that would do it all for me, say every 24 hours.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:04 PM   #24
mjames

Quote:
Originally posted by Furton
I've never backed up my server, even when upgrading stuff like forums and news system's.

I would backup my server if I could find a program that would do it all for me, say every 24 hours.
I can understand your unwillingness to do the tedious task of backing up regularly, but before doing an upgrade that can crash your site, I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

And you can actually use crontabs to automatically backup your servers. I'm not an expert on that, but if you do a search, you'll likely find a tutorial.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:35 PM   #25
insiderhosting

Quote:
Originally posted by Furton

Actually, it is quite an easy thing to do if you have a good control panel or SSH/telnet. Depending on what forums you use, you can setup a cronjob to automatically backup the mysql databases on your site. You should backup your site with the tar command. To find the appropriate tar command, login to your server via SSH and type man tar.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:21 PM   #26
Steve_S

If you need a shell script to BU your MySQL database which works very well and runs via a crontab see Tip 1 on:

http://www.geekvillage.com/vbulletin_review.htm

It has lot's of options and is rock solid. You may have to tweak the code a bit to make it work.

HTH
Old 04-09-2002, 08:24 PM   #27
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
If you need a shell script to BU your MySQL database which works very well and runs via a crontab see Tip 1 on:

http://www.geekvillage.com/vbulletin_review.htm

It has lot's of options and is rock solid. You may have to tweak the code a bit to make it work.

HTH
Quote:
---> ATTENTION funky duck ONLY <---

Old 05-11-2002, 10:44 AM   #28
LastActionHero

How about backing up the entire site and FTP'ing it. Is this possible automatically? Right now I have to do this manually everytime.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:25 PM   #29
batcavenet

Default Backup

I backup my servers onsite and offsite each day never can be too careful

JDT
Old 05-20-2002, 12:33 PM   #30
Steve_S

Amen !

"Better safe than sorry"

Unfortunetly, hard drives don't page you or send you a nice email when they are failing.