Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2000, 04:59 PM   #61
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

Great thread gang http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Does anyone know if a "-" in a domain name helps your ranking and or search hits in the major engines/Directories? If it does, which I'm not sure about, this might increase the value of a pure domain name sale?

I mean domain names like:

i-hate-amazon.com (I made it up http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif)
COOL-AUCTION.COM
COOL-SHOP.COM
COOL-SEEK

Iv'e heard others say it does assuming the terms make sence but I really don't know. I personally prefer a domain name thats does not have the "-" although sometimes I just can't control my purchasing urge http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm asking this question for another reason. If you run a search in Yahoo for this term:

very cool

This site showes at the top. This issue cuts a number of ways since for better or worse it produces trafic that I either don't wan't or can't quite figure out. A lot of this trafic is just to general IMHO. I really don't have any tricks for this either. Numerous submissions over a period of almost a year and then it showes up.

I had a friend tell me that this fact alone makes this domain valuable. My responce, what are you smoking?

Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
www.cool-seek.com Find what you want

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 02-29-2000).]
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 06:21 PM   #62
12clicks
Member.

Cool

Steve,
having a "-" in the url doesn't help or hurt. It is one way to get a variation of a popular term such as "chat"
say teenchat is taken and teen-chat is taken. Welll for search value use chat-teen. the engines will hit on teen and chat just as if it was chat and teen.
In the young part of my online career I was an expert at getting Yahoo listings in tough categories. If I wanted to get good type in value with them, chat-teen was as good as teenchat (example, I don't have either one) http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif
12clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 09:16 PM   #63
JuTa

Cool

Hmm. Okay, I've signed up for afternic in case a good domain pops into my head. I'm not in this for the big money, just some extra cash so that I'll be able to pay my way through university. I'm making only about $50 on my websites a month, so I figure if I can get any "decent" money, I'd be pretty happy.

I'm wondering if there are any free domain parkers available. I want to REGISTER the domain, but not pay for hosting, as there likely won't be any pages I put on the site. Suggestions?

[This message has been edited by JuTa (edited 02-29-2000).]
JuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 09:41 PM   #64
KHN
Member.

Cool

Just sign with afternic and you could just leave it there.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2000, 10:27 PM   #65
gmiller

Cool

The problem is that having a generic name just won't get you much traffic. Very few people go straight to jewelry.com or books.com to buy something. They follow a link, use a bookmark, or type in an URL from a television ad. Most people seem to understand this, and that's why very few domain names are selling.

As for search engines, it hasn't been my experience that having a generic name helps much with search rankings. I typically list my site both with my domain name and my web host's domain name. I've noticed one or two of the major search engines giving a very slight bonus to the domain name, but that's about it.
gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2000, 03:30 AM   #66
funpage

Cool

I think a - in the domain name helps the search engine see separate words. For example with COOL-AUCTION.COM. If the domain were COOLAUCTION.COM the search engine would read the word as "COOLAUCTION" versus COOL-AUCTION.COM the search engine would read it as "COOL" + "AUCTION"

I'm not 100% sure on this, but you can try testing it out by typing random words in a search engine and looking at the results.

------------------
notboring.com - The most boring place on earth. Not!!!
Webmaster Resource Center - All, no a few resources for your webmatering needs.
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2000, 09:58 AM   #67
Yngwv

Cool

I don't think the emphasis should be placed on how well a name ranks in the search engines. It should be how well it can be remembered and its typabilty. I'm sure most people will omit the dash thinking it is there just to emphasize the words. Most probably don't have the time or energy to look for the dash on the keyboard. I'm not saying they are worthless just that they have less value then there one two or three character-less fathers.
Yngwv is offline   Reply With Quote