Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2000, 05:18 AM   #31
gbrott

Cool

Most of the names you can get these days won't sell for big money. Rather, I think a fair amount of domains will be sold for $500-$5000 to small to medium sized businesses who need some sort of presence (besides their store name) on the web.

For example, I have a jewelry relatd domain and was offered $1000 from a Jewelry store in Florida. They already owned the name of their store.com, but needed a more "rational" domain as they were adding a shopping cart to their site - and who would ever type in Nancysjewels.com or whatever to get jewelry?

I also have an autoparts domain and was contacted by an autoparts company that was looking to "round up" all the autoparts related names.
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 08:00 AM   #32
Yngwv

Cool

I didn't say you would get a million for internetdomainnames.com I'm just saying it's got more value all things being equal than a shorter name that doesn't make much sense. But whatever. I doubt there are a 1000+ domain name brokers. But there will be. And Wozzerdomaines just might require that billion dollar budget to stick out among the pack. And to think they could of had internetdomainenames for a few hundred grand way back when. Of course I could be wrong.
Yngwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 10:05 AM   #33
Aaron Dragushan

Cool

I think the days of generic names are slowly coming to an end. They're nice to have, but they're being priced right out of anyone's budget. Look to Amazon.com for an example. They're name doesn't strike me as incredible, it has nothing to do with books, altough it has a certain mystique to it. If they were a new player to the market, they could approach Joe Example and get that name for 10-50k probably. If they wanted books.com it would probably cost them in the millions...

The real value of Amazon's name is in the millions of dollars of branding. I think if people want to seek out names to buy and hold, they should look for made-up names that sound neat, and might appeal to a company that says, "now THAT fits the image we want to build." An example of what I mean would be Flooz.com

- Aaron
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 10:27 AM   #34
12clicks
Member.

Cool

Yngwv,

a few hundred thousand? hahaha, ok.
12clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 10:51 AM   #35
Yngwv

Cool

Alrighty then. What do you guys think of a name like ValuedShopper.com or TotalSavings.com? Not that they are mine or anything I'm just curious. Do you think names like that would have any future potential? Also, what about short extremely popular (in their own country - I dont mean like gracias but like "wow" in addition to other meanings) foreign words? I've noticed for example that there are foreign companies that have their country code domains and the .coms. But some don't. I know that my question is very case specific but generally is a dotcom name as valuable to a foreign company as a country code dotcom name? I guess it would depend but anybody?
Old 02-28-2000, 11:25 AM   #36
Arn

Cool

My guess is .com's are popular everywhere... including foreign countries...

Regarding TotalSavings.com or ValuedShopper.com - I'd say they are mildly valuable... but not insanely valuable.

Here's the deal. No company _has to have_ TotalSavings.com, unless they happen to be named TotalSavings.com. This is unlike Advertising.com, Coke.com, or ***.com.

While totalsavings.com is a very good domain name - it's too generic to command a very high price. An internet startup isn't going to pay big $$$ for totalsavings.com when they could get Savings.com with that money instead. Or, they'd go with a less desirable, but cheaper alternative... GreatSavings.com, for example.

Now, this isn't to say, you couldn't get a few hundred for it if you found the right bidder... and maybe someone _will_ name their company TotalSavings... http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif but I wouldn't count on it.

Similiarly, "DownloadTaxSoftware.com" is alright - but very generic. Who would name their company "downloadtaxsoftware"? I doubt you'd get many "type-in's". And why pay very much for it when you can get taxcents.com, taxespaid.com, taxoholic.com, taxrush.com, taxsavy.com, or taxsharks.com? ALL of which are presently available... and before all you get out your checkbooks to snag them... you should realize these are a dime-a-dozen. Get these, in another week, there are 10 more that are just as good.

Of coruse, if you're building a tax-related site, then you should snag a good short name and build upon it, and you could easily make more than on domain name speculation.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know

p.s. - this is not to say, I don't snag domain names just for the fun of it as well. When I see one I just have to have, I grab it just like you guys. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif Just being realistic.

[This message has been edited by Arn (edited 02-28-2000).]
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 11:41 AM   #37
Yngwv

Cool

Thanks for the info. I also think that maybe some companies would use a domain name that is different from their company name. I often see a website with some nice name and then at the bottom it will say a different company name. Like let's say that you have a company called Progressive Savings (it's available btw). Now they decide to get on the net. They could get their name. Or they could say ***** it. Lets call our selves TotalSavings or GreatPrices and strive toward the superstore deal. Doen't this happen? I'm hoping it does. But even if you have a really generic name (that's not 100 characters) you'll still make a lot of dough you'll just have to lower your price.

[This message has been edited by Yngwv (edited 02-28-2000).]
Old 02-28-2000, 01:18 PM   #38
hobbnet

Cool

We all know there are tons of unclaimed domain names out there. If you are trying to find that perfect name to sell then you are probably sitting at networksolutions.com (or some other site) trying hundreds of different combonations of words and phrases. Now, since you are sitting there looking for a good name and you know they are out there may I ask, why would someone want to pay over $70 for that domain name? That same person that supposedly would pay over 1k for totalsavings.com or what not could find a just as good name like NeatSavings.com (its available and just took me 10 seconds to find) I dont know about you but I would rather pay $70 for neatsavings.com then pay $1,000 for totalsavings.com I am not trying to crush anyones dream but I just think it is reality. We all learn at some time I suppose. I tried to buy domain names for profit too and I quickly learned.

------------------
Service Swap Webmasters helping webmasters. Come trade design, links, exposure, content and more.
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 01:19 PM   #39
mtgm

Question

For those of you who own multiple domain names:

After reading through the thread I noticed some of you own 10+ domain names with zero content that you are *planning* to sell some time in the future. Are you being charged on a month-to-month basis for all of these web sites? If so, how do you afford to pay for web hosting fees on top of your monthly bills?

Thanks.
mtgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 01:29 PM   #40
Edwin

Cool

This is a common mistake! Domains names do not = sites. You do not have to set up a site to own and keep a domain name.

For people who are stuck looking for good names, the "deleted domains" tool at http://www.whois.net/ is the perfect ally. With it, you can (for example) see ALL the recently de-registered names ending in "savings".

This is where I get about 80% of my names. The other 20% are inspired guesses that I just type in to an ordinary domain search box.

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2000, 01:43 PM   #41
gbrott

Cool

I would argue that totalsavings.com is about 100 times better than neatsavings. What does the word "neat" mean - not much. It is not very powerful. Secondly, the $900 difference in price would be easily justified by any "real company" interested in it. People spend $900 on a new desk and a chair - I have a feeling they would spend the same to improve the company name. It's like saying greatdomains.com isn't any better than prettygooddomains.com . If it were an individual creating the site, the price may not be worth it.

I have not made any money with my names, but I could have made $ if I had sold.

As for hosting my domains, I have a deal with an ISP where they don't charge me to buy them, and they do charge me $40 monthly to host them all (they all point to one site).
Old 02-28-2000, 01:49 PM   #42
Yngwv

Cool

It only costs $35 to register a name for one year. Hello. You guys are thinking so Feb. 2000. OK. First, NeatSavings is not TotalSavings sorry. After Neatsavings.com is taken and Mysmellysavings.com is taken who's got a name for poor billyjack with the harvard business degree? You mean you are actually selling Totalsavings.com? Please give me this I'll give you anything.... you take money? ... here is a check. Write something. To which owner responds I'll think about it. Maybe. In time as names are used up, better names will command more money. It's simple.

You don't have to pay for hosting as any broker will host free. That's if you don't have a site. Hell, it's almost free to get hosting right now with some co.s charging 6.95 a month. It sounds like a lot of people are just mad and jealous of others good sense and vision.

Old 02-28-2000, 01:54 PM   #43
gbrott

Cool

Edwin - I just checked out the deregistered domain list - very interesting. What is really funny is how dumb some speculators are - between misspelled names and really bad names, some people are just giving away money to Network Solutions!
Old 02-28-2000, 01:59 PM   #44
Yngwv

Cool

That's true. If you go to greatdomains.com and look in the bargain bin ($500-$1000) it's mostly mispelled and nonsensical names. Heathclob.com LOL.

Old 02-28-2000, 02:33 PM   #45
wozza

Cool

I tend to sit in the camp saying that I doubt big money is to be made in this area from this point on.

I've noticed a recent trend over here in the UK for existing established companies creating an online presence under a new tradename. The key to the tradename is a very short memorable word... which hasn't been registered.

So we now have a couple of new on-line banks called EGG and SMILE.

A UK competitor for AMAZON has rather sadly taken the name JUNGLE.

The point is that AMAZON had the right idea all along. You dont have to be called BUYBARGAINBOOKSHERE.COM , you simply need to have a marketable snappy name.

It's true that that the search engine will return BUYBARGAINBOOKSHERE.COM easily. But the big money will be interesting in real world marketing of a name, not relying on search engines.

That leaves the smaller companies, they will probably take the .net .whatever or buy-bargain-books-here.com option rather than pay a 1000% markup. Well thats my opinion anyway.

Oh, but if you buy a domain make sure you spell it right. I came across a SOTHERBYS.COM, I bet they thought they were sitting on a fortune.. Sadly the real SOTHEBYS.COM held all the good cards. Of course I found that site... so its an opportunity for someone to cash in on the bad typists and spellers amongst us.. but nobody will pay big money.

[This message has been edited by wozza (edited 02-28-2000).]
wozza is offline   Reply With Quote