Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2000, 08:37 AM   #16
Yngwv

Cool

I agree their is a lot of junk out there but if you can think of a name that makes sense and is not too long, it might be very valuable in a few years....
Yngwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 08:50 AM   #17
Yngwv

Cool

I'm a senior member? Is that because I've made a certain number of posts? I just wanted to add that domain name buying should be considered a long term investment. I don't expect to sell anything for at least 3 years. My goal is to get many hundreds (if not thousands) of times back what I paid for them. Don't buy too many names or you will have a big bill every year or other period to pay. I've kept it at 10. I can do $350 a year for a potential huge return 5 years from now.
Old 02-27-2000, 10:40 AM   #18
gbrott

Cool

There are still plenty of good names. The key is to get them short- Too many people buy up long domains like "internetcarbuyer99.com" or something like that. No real company would try to build a major site on most of these names.

I would also recommend picking names that easily explain the purpose of the site. Don't just piece words together unless they immediately make sense together.

I recently bought a number of good names that I have ideas for - all of them are 2 words and are very good. I have some other 3 word domains that I have been offered $1000 for, but I think I'll be able to sell them within 5 years for in the range of $3-5000.

I'll stop rambling now....
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 01:21 PM   #19
uonline

Cool

You become a senior member after 30 posts. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Everyone, you all claim that you have awesome domains.. Why don't you post these, it's no secret they have been registered already. I would like to see your 'snags'
uonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 01:42 PM   #20
Edwin

Cool

Ok, that's a challenge I can't resist. Most of my names, as I already mentioned, are at http://www.genkiproductions.com/domains.htm

Some of my "snags" (isn't that Australian for sausage, BTW?)

filmstars.com
demonstrations.com
internetbrowser.com
noticeboards.com
libel.com
digitalmoney.com
newsbulletins.com
revisit.com

There's much more, and I add new stuff every week. For instance, I picked up some fun stuff recently:

englandemail.com, scotlandemail.com, walesemail.com, irelandemail.com, britishemail.com, britainemail.com and britishpeople.com

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/

[This message has been edited by Edwin (edited 02-27-2000).]
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 02:21 PM   #21
uonline

Cool

Some nice ones.. I really think you should start a free email company with all those zodiac characters. With all of them registered it should be really popular.

The most recent 'snag' I got was this morning my 8th domain...

myteller.com

You think it's a good name for internet banking? How much you think I can get for it.
Old 02-27-2000, 03:52 PM   #22
12clicks
Member.

Cool

guys, in my opinion, the days of grabbing a good domain name and selling it for big profit are behind us.
A domain is only valuable if a business can be built up around it. Those businesses are being built today. If you are holding domains for some payday years from now, good luck!
Here's why I say this.
Lets take DownloadTaxSoftware.com for no other reason except that it's at the top of the thread. Anyone marketing tax software or tax help is already building their sites. (the internet is no longer a secret to business)
a couple of years from now if nothing's been done with DownloadTaxSoftware.com it will be worthless (IMO)
The online tax help market will already have its leaders with the market sewn up.
Think about amazon and barns&noble. what kind of competition will the guy with onlinebooks.com face?
The time to sell is now if you've got something valuable.
Buying 20+ letter domains thinking they'll ever be worth more than 70.00 is dreaming.
of course, that's just my opinion.
12clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 04:01 PM   #23
Arn

Cool

I agree with 12clicks.

The real value in a good domain name is if you can build an actual site around it.

For example, lets say you can build even a minimal site that earns a measly $10/mo. That's $120/year. That's more than you'll likely be able to sell most of your domain names if you're lucky.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 08:15 PM   #24
Yngwv

Cool

I disagree with you guys. Of course 20 letter domain names (in general) will be worth much less that 7 character or less domain names. I believe there is plenty of room on the internet for an onlinebooks.com with your barnesandnobles.com's and so forth. You guys are thinking way too small. The internet is almost nonexistent compared to where it will be in just a few years from now. There will be millions of businesses of all sizes looking for that special domain name. And forget about the international scene. Are you guys kidding? Sure lots of people have junk. Just like in the non web world. But, if you've really tried to come up with something good and short and to the point and have done a little research (and kept the names as generic sounding as possible) you stand an excellent chance of making absurd amounts of money. An example of a good name would be GreatPrices.com A bad one would be ilikeelevators4u.com. I personally don't have anything as good as libel.com (I think) but I have many good short compound names and a few very popular and very short single foreign words (with multiple meanings). I think the reason people don't like to post their domain names is that you can practically get every piece of private information a person has.
Old 02-27-2000, 08:27 PM   #25
Yngwv

Cool

I do agree that the days of people buying trademarked (Mcdonalds.com) names and selling them back to the companies for crazy profit is over. But the legitimate business of buying and selling of domain names has only just begun. If you have a good name (and you know a good name by how it rolls off your tongue and cries money) then maybe in a few years or sooner you will be able to cash it in. If you don't then you've lost $100. I think it is the one of the safest bets around.
Old 02-27-2000, 08:48 PM   #26
Natural

Cool

I have to agree with you. I think that generic names are the ones which are going to be valuable. After all, that's what surfers type into search engines and as such will be easy to remember!

Anyway, here is a link to the DownloadTaxSoftware.com auction. HINT: I am willing to let it go for cheap!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=270028839

GOOD LUCK!
Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 09:16 PM   #27
uonline

Cool

Not to be cruel, I doubt it will get one bid.
Old 02-27-2000, 10:00 PM   #28
gmiller

Cool

Sooner or later, people are going to figure out that generic names are very nearly worthless. They're a vanity item and that's all.

I suspect we'll gradually see companies moving to "real" names with unique branding value, like slashdot.org, freshmeat.net, etc.
gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 11:21 PM   #29
Yngwv

Cool

When I say generic as possible I mean not myesteelauder.com or not iburgerking.com. I think Downloadtaxsoftware.com is too long and way too specific to fetch any good money but I think you might get an offer maybe and I hope you do but know why if you don't. Everybody must do taxes true but not many need to download tax software. Freshmeat is a good name that could be used by many and would be difficult to prove trademark infringement with if there is a trademark for it. Long names aren't always bad if they really make sense and flow well together and have demand. Internetdomainnames.com is long but would probably have some value. I think I'm gonna shut up now.
Old 02-28-2000, 04:56 AM   #30
12clicks
Member.

Cool

why would Internetdomainnames.com have any value? there are over 20 sites (probably more like 1000) that will register domain names for you and another 100 or more that will buy/sell/auction them. What is the value of the domain of the 1101st site to work with domain names?
If I were the 1101st person to market for domains, I'd spend my money on advertising and technology and use a domain name like wozzerdomains.com for 70 bucks. With that kinda competition up and running, your catchup worries are alot bigger that overpaying for a domain name.

Again, this is just my opinion. I HAVE sold a 70.00 domain for mid 5 figures a month ago though. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif Oh, and make my living on the internet. http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif
12clicks is offline   Reply With Quote