Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2000, 08:43 PM   #1
Natural

Cool Domain Name For Sale!...

I have a tremendous domain name that is for sale as I can't do justice to it. It is DownloadTaxSoftware.com

The problem is that I registered it through totalnic.net and can't figure out how to transfer it to a perspective buyer. Anyone with a similar experience or solution?

Also--
This domain is VERY clickable, is applicable to a huge number of people, valuable to related companies, for affiliate program use, as a tax information content site or even resale!!! Any valuation suggestions, or perhaps even offers? (not trying to violate any forum rules)

I might sell it on ebay if there are enough serious and interested parties.
Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 08:49 PM   #2
KHN
Member.

Cool

You could move it to register.com but you'll have to pay the $35 for one year again.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 09:28 PM   #3
Yngwv

Cool

The names too long to be worth any serious money......
Yngwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 09:48 PM   #4
Natural

Cool

What do you consider serious??? I didn't have visions of retirement if that's what you meant... but someone could pick it up for a reasonable amount, and make an even more reasonable amount off of it!

It's just a good, solid opportunity, that's all.

It's got the popular search strings "tax software" and "download tax software" and we all know that most users use 2-3 work search strings. It'll pull good traffic. Unfortuneately most of us pay taxes!!!
Old 02-25-2000, 10:17 PM   #5
Ariakas

Cool

If its just search strings you are after, why not use download-tax-software.com or downloadtaxsoftware.net?
Ariakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 10:23 PM   #6
Natural

Cool

not just search strings!
Which do you find more professional?
Old 02-25-2000, 11:14 PM   #7
KHN
Member.

Cool

What Yngwv meant was that your domain is a little long. Therefore, many companies or individuals want to make a serious web site will look elsewhere.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 01:13 AM   #8
Edwin

Cool

You asked for opinions on value. *If* you can interest a buyer in the name, it might fetch in the low $hundreds, certainly less than $1K. But finding a buyer will be very difficult. Your best bet is probably to list the name with http://www.afternic.com/ since they seem to focus mainly on the sale of low-value names of relatively marginal or specialized interest.

eBay and similar auction sites have never been very good places for selling domain names, in my view. Every time I go to such large auction sites as eBay, Yahoo! and Amazon, there are hundreds of names for sale and a very small handful of names that attract bids.

Your mileage may differ, but I'm basing my comments on 4 years of domain collecting... If you're interested to see what I've accumulated, there's a (partial) list at http://www.genkiproductions.com/domains.htm

Whatever you choose to do, good luck in finding a suitable buyer for your name!

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 03:21 PM   #9
Edwin

Cool

PLEASE realise that the .web domain is the nearest you get to GAMBLING since there is no official approval for .web and no guarantee that if .web is ever created as a top domain that the company I bought the names through will be chosen to lead the .web initiative.

In other words, the chances that purchased .web names will ever have value is practically 0% (but it is not EXACTLY 0% and that's what makes it interesting!)

Find out more at http://www.webtld.com/ including information about the lawsuit they were fighting, and pricing etc.

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 12:27 AM   #10
uonline

Cool

Thanks Edwin, you're always helping http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dang, I need money. At age 15 I have 7 domains all bought with money I earned on the web. I have a list of about 100 names really worth registering but got no cash. LOL. By next year domains are supposed to near double in price so you might want to hold..
uonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 12:55 AM   #11
uonline

Cool

Edwin, where did you buy the .web domains? How much are they..
uonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 03:57 AM   #12
a1022

Smile

UOnline:

I sure hope no one buys it out before you. I used to have a list but found it so frustrating when I went back to check after say 2 weeks. They're all gone! So now I just buy on impulse! Names are going fast so I suggest you register them now.
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 04:40 AM   #13
funpage

Cool

I had a big list of around 50 domains that I wanted to register, but narrowed it down to around 15. I registered 3 already but need more money to buy more. I want to sell one or two of them pretty fast. Are there any good places to list domains for free? I am already listed at greatdomains but don't believe that it's too good place to list them because they have over 400,000 other domains listed. I want to sell AutomobileWatch.com and SurferBeware.com with at least $300 profit for each.

------------------
notboring.com - The most boring place on earth. Not!!!
Webmaster Resource Center - All, no a few resources for your webmatering needs.

[This message has been edited by funpage (edited 02-27-2000).]
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 07:55 AM   #14
Yngwv

Cool

It's incredible the stuff you can still find. I recently (pastweek) bought 10 domain names all with really great resale value. I have a friend who knows an appraiser who is shocked at what I was able to get. There is still stuff available and if you see it, grab it. Don't forget important and popular foreign words and phrases.
Yngwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 08:12 AM   #15
Arn

Cool

well,

I'd caution those out there who are going to start buying up tons of domain names. There are a lot of people trying to sell domain names and most of them aren't very good.

Can anyone here actually report that they have succesfully sold a domain name for a reasonable profit? (ie more than you've spent on speculative domain names) I'd guess the answer is "no".

There are a fair number of domain names that are becoming available... but remember, many of those may have been owned by someone who was looking to sell it... and let their renewal lapse as they may have been unable to find a buyer.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote