Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2001, 11:01 AM   #46
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

For those that have a true "Community" and are facing the sad fact that you may close the site, I would suggest that you ask for donations.

For privacy reasons I can't be detailed in this story but I will tell you that I recently saw with my own eyes, one of our Members raise "thousands" in a few short weeks. That's net net cash!

The entire procedure was done very well. Using PayPal to send cash with prominent links all over the place. Plus some products to purchase in the "store"

The copy came from the heart and was written in a conversational manner. Filled with a detailed story of the problems the Member faced and how Memebers of the community would benifit by making a contribution.

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
FREE Ecards for your site. Your pages and images = $$$ Tons of features. We host the script. The easy way to learn who links to your site in the major engines.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 04:48 AM   #47
Arie

Unhappy

Oh... I cheated a bit http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

The requirements I posted are based on the Web site keeping itself alive, and giving me something to eat.

Now we also sell shareware, and that is were the big $$$ come from http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (5 figures/month)....

But we keep that seperated from the Web site 'business'

------------------
Regards,

Arie Slob,
InfiniSource, Inc.
http://www.infinisource.com
Internet & Windows Resources
Arie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:54 PM   #48
solace
Member.

My apologies for posting a reply to a very much dead thread. I had been tearing off my hair, wondering around the internet in search of a miracle.

I read this thread with gratitude. Much knowledge had been gained, and I had adopted several invaluable advice. Thanks everyone.

The current situation of the inn is bleak. We have more than 2 million impressions a month, and 60 000 uniques. I had just been accepted into popuptraffic.com (thanks there http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif), but the stats are way below what was anticipated, probably because of the unique count. The inn consumes slightly more than 70 gigs bandwidth, and cost about $350-$400 nett to run. I don't mind .25 or .3 CPM, just enough to keep my head above the water will do.

I had applied to all clickthroughs and CPM networks I could get hold of from clickquick.com, but I have been rejected by almost all of them, and ignored by the rest.

With exitfuel and popuptraffic combined, I still make losses every month, largely because of the fact that very little of the 2 million is sold as pop ups. Affiliate programs and search boxes are pulling in revenue in really neglible rates. I am talking about amounts around $20 a month (I spend more than $20 to clear one check, since I live in Singapore)

The only thing I have not tried is commission junction. Targetted affiliation sales is already so difficult for my anime site, is it worth the effort to start on pay per leads?

Can someone also advice on how to improve the sales of anime? I only know how to make my visitors happy, I really have to admit I am lousy at making money.

solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 11:18 PM   #49
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Hi Solace. Welcome to Geek/Talk. I'm glad that you found this thread valuable.

For a start, you could try changing your "Tell a Friend" link from birdcast to MailBits or SuperTaf. This will generate revenue for you, while still performing the same promotional function.

Instead of using GoTo's searchbox, consider switching to AdSearches or SearchTraffic, and pre-populate the box with a term that will interest your visitors ("anime" and "pokemon" are both high-paying terms). These boxes deliver far higher click-thru ratios than the branded GoTo boxes.

Doing these, and persevering with your attempts to find a decent banner advertiser (have you seen the new posts about BlueFishNetwork?) should get you back into black.

If you were willing to go through the hassle of moving the entire site to a new server, you could also try one of 4Webspace's $99 dedicated servers on for size - these allow for 100GB of transfer at no extra cost, which would automatically cut $100s from your monthly expenses.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads: Get More Hits. Make More Money.
www.net-ads.com
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 12:17 AM   #50
demae

Unhappy

Quote:
If you were willing to go through the hassle of moving the entire site to a new server, you could also try one of 4Webspace's $99 dedicated servers on for size - these allow for 100GB of transfer at no extra cost, which would automatically cut $100s from your monthly expenses.
solace told me that RaQ3 isn't powerful enough for his site, because it uses a perl ad rotater on every pageview.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 12:27 AM   #51
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

A Raq with MySQL installed could give him an affordable solution. He could then switch his ad serving software to AdCycle, or another free SQL-based rotator, which will obviously prove more efficient than a Perl-only ad script.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads: Get More Hits. Make More Money.
www.net-ads.com
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 12:36 AM   #52
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

hi solace glad you could make it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

yes, unfortunately solace needs high cpu power and a mid high bandwidth allowance at the same time.

hopefully, hanging around here will gain you some great advice http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 03:47 AM   #53
solace
Member.

demae told me about 4webspace. Like he had pointed out, a raq is insufficient for the high pageview loads I get, especially during peak. I heard from A+ hosting that mysql based ad rotators are more cpu intensive than pure perl ones, so I am really not sure. I know nuts about program stuff, and installing a guestbook took me months to figure out.

I will look at the search boxes you (czar) mentioned...

I am in fact switching to http://www.skynetweb.com for a celeron 600 server, which after taking setup costs into account, cost slightly above 200 a month. An additional 20 gig bandwidth will make it to about near 300 a month. Not much savings, but every cent counts.

If anime inn survives, I will definitely take up 4webspace. It is really dirt cheap.
solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 11:21 AM   #54
SSacobie

Unhappy

I've used RAQs before and found the products way sub-par and Cobalt to be a bad company.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 11:07 PM   #55
Celestine

Unhappy

Hey solace,

I'm from Singapore too! Never thought that you are one until you mentioned about it in your post http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Bank fees are high over here ay http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Singloon suggested to me a week ago to rotate the downloads on my site (in a bid to reduce bandwidth and cpu consumption). I'll do that, if things get really, really bad o_o. I don't think charging users to download stuff will work for sites like ours, because like one of the members has mentioned, the bulk of the surfers on our sites are teenagers/children - most, if not all, do not have international credit cards either because of the age requirement to own one or that they do not find a use for it (e.g they don't shop on the net). Also, they came upon our sites looking for free stuff. If you were to charge users to download the desktop stuff, they will simply search the engines for other similar sites which offer free downloads. My suggestion is to sign up @ CJ.com (not clickxchange, since I live in Singapore and have never received any of their cheques nor a single reply to the emails I sent to them. This is a pity, because clickxchange has quite a number of advertisers which are targetted to my site.) and search for advertiser sites which are targetted to yours. If you want, you can email me @ webmistress@celestines.com and I'll talk more about it.

------------------
The Wallpaper Challenge
Celestine's
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote