Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #16
Czar

Webmaster

There's a great deal of merit in all of the suggestions that you geeks are putting forth and these are things that Team Geek have been talking about implementing for some time.

This thread has been started as a bit of a test. If this 'rules reminder' fails to trigger the appropriate response and slow the spam deluge, we will activate your suggestion, larwee. That is, if people continue to abuse this particular section of the Village, the right to sell a site will be restricted to senior geeks only, thus reducing the volume of drive-by self promotion.

In regards to the other suggestions being made here, I certainly do acknowledge that our existing "Rules" and "Posting Guide" documents are too long and laborious at present. They have understandably become this way after trying to cover every conceivable variable of abuse throughout their seven year existence. Rest assured that I have already begun the process of stripping these back to their bare essentials and will release some less intimidating and more readable rules documents shortly.

Thanks sincerely for the constructive suggestions.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #17
Kathy

I think its a good idea to make posting rights in this forum for the senior or contributing geek.

I wanted to comment on a few of the members in this thread.

Putting <snipped> into a post or a title helps to warn the other members. Removing the post when a spam post has been posted doesn't help remind the community that there are rules...You'd better read them.

But, removing posts for trolling, flaming, arguing with the admin, non-responsive replies should be removed and thrown into the dumpster. No explanation is required.

I run a big community and have a staff of moderators (over 30 of them) who are online constantly. We remove arguments such kinds of posts.

When we can, we notify the member (about 990% of the time) to let them know why their post was removed. Otherwise, the member should know why it was removed.

If you have a comment to make to the admin, email or PM him privately. Public arguments aren't appropriate. Its disconcerting and while a small handful of members enjoy public attacks, the rest of the community will go away. It doesn't *feel* safe.

While I keep my busy community on track with politeness, kindness and helpful support, others enjoy debate and profanity. Where some enjoy the banter of off-topic threads, others keep "on-topic" as a requirement.

So.... bottom line....if you don't like the way a community is run, find another that meets your particular needs and your particular flavor.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:40 PM   #18
e_d

I love geekvillage and wouldn't have it any other way. If you accidently get your post deleted as spam, just figure out why, and Re-Post correctly. You should be glad we get the freedom we do on this forum and that it's free of charge and free of spam. If you compiled all the knowledge on this forum into a book you could get away with selling it for $200 per copy. Youre getting free advice from masters that normally you would get charged for. Apparently they know something worth knowing if they have this many members on the forum so respect what they say, even if you don't like it and it's not what you want to hear.
e_d is offline   Reply With Quote