Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-1999, 05:21 PM   #1
WildComputer

Default Highly Targetted Ads - how to sell em

Hi most of you know I'm developing a new site where I give away things like customizable guest books, search engines and post card sites.

I have the following ad opportunities available to me

a. Showing ads in the pages I host

b. Showing ads in the "management" pages, e.g. the page that shows a webmaster their stats.

c. Ads in newsletter, auto-reply messages, etc.

Now the question is I can target the ads to increase the performance, and I want to exploit this as much as possible.

Here is what I'm thinking

For (a) use PPC and PPL ads I can target myself (Clicktrade, Websponsors, etc - suggestions). By target I mean I'd mostly show ads relevant to the site to which I'm providing services. Example if I host postcards for an automotive quote, I might (mostly) show the Stoneage car quotes, etc. in these ads. I'd probably also stick in some general interest ads, and banner exchange banners, BEs especially on pages where I don't think the visitor is likely to click on the ad.

For (b) I'd probably show BE ads mostly, but I might stick in some webmaster type stuff to.

For (c) I'd just select various pay-per-lead provided the ad program allows it.

In all cases I can combine any targetting with a degree of targetting by surfer location (reverse lookup on the IP for web pages, look at the TL domain for e-mail) and use this to not show unsuitable ads.

Incidentally I am planning to show both text and banner ads in web pages. Texts ads would be stuck into tables which match the page's appearance so they won't look vastly out of place.

I would really like comments or suggestions on this.

I would also appreciate some comments on whether I should pay-per-sale ads.

I personally have had a lot of success with pay-per-sale, but until now have nearly always used text links in pages about the product/service - so I'm wondering how effective banner or simple text ads will be for pay-per-sale. Does anybody have any experience or suggestions on this ?

Finally I am not planning on signing up with a CPM agency. However if I succeed to any extent with this new site, I may get approached by individual CPM type advertisers (this has happened with other sites i've had, and i've turned them away). I don't know how to deal with this.

------------------
40% commission on software sales:
www.wildcomputer.com/free2fax/affiliate.htm

WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-1999, 07:55 PM   #2
fairhousing
Member.

sounds good, it seems that banner and text description combo ads have the best results. the banner seems to attract their eye then the text pulls them in for the click.

good luck

------------------
Isn't it time you started making some real money with your web site!
www.birminghamnet.com/cgi-bin/links/pages/WebmasterResources/MakingMoney

fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-1999, 08:27 PM   #3
WildComputer

I forgot to mention I was thinking of connecting my Log Out button to AllClicks (members will want to click it) for security

I am worried about getting approval/decent-pay-rates from the relevant CT sponsors. The reason being that I might apply to an auto program, but when they review my site - they might think "why does a webmaster site want to carry our ads". The best solution I have thought of is included a very prominent link on my home page explaining to advertisers how my site works - but ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have any thoughts on per-sale ads in this environment (see prev post)

------------------
40% commission on software sales:
www.wildcomputer.com/free2fax/affiliate.htm

WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote