Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2002, 08:46 PM   #16
jkcity

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert from SI
This is a shot at a money grab by a law firm. Nothing more.
Maybe so but it could have implications if they win.
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:10 PM   #17
darnell

Lightbulb The suit has merit to me

I have been bad talking these types of ads before. And I don't select many of them. I only run them if those types of ads specifically have words that indicate they are some type of ad for software. Like if the message says "you have 8 new messages" or "warning your PC may have a virus" I don't run it. But if it says "warning you may have a call and our software can inform you of that" then I run it. I just like to make sure the words in the ad make it obvious that it's not a warning or message from the user's PC.

Not to mention the excessive CTR those ads get. It was OBVIOUS to me that people were clicking them purely out of deception and you all know that to be true.

Since I have not run many of the ads I've already learned to live without them.

I hope the lawers win, but the punitive damages I hope are only $1. Just stop them from doing it any more.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:25 PM   #18
qball0213

Quote:
Originally posted by njpete

Those lawyers didn't do this suit to help the downtrodden. I mean they're looking at the share of the $500 per person that will be multiplied by thousands of people.
I know their not, but getting legal action against all of these parasites would have to help.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:57 PM   #19
jnestor

If you want to know how class action lawsuits work see: http://www.stellaawards.com/sample.html for an example. A $3.8 million settlement with not a penny going to the "victims".

I got a settlement from the airlines as part of a price fixing class action suit. It was a discount coupon off of a full fare ticket. So I could save $25 on a $1,000 ticket or buy the ticket discounted to $400. There was another one that was equally as ridiculous. Class action suits are a boon to the lawyers and no one else.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:53 PM   #20
FreeArcade
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

These ads are deliberately created to fool newbies into clicking on them. They are deceptive and scummy.

In this case it doesn't really matter if the plaintiffs get a dime or not. If they win it will provide a service to millions of Internet users.

Any site that cannot survive without swindling their users into clicking on deceptive ads deserves to fail.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:58 PM   #21
darnell

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeArcade
Any site that cannot survive without swindling their users into clicking on deceptive ads deserves to fail.
You said it!
Old 12-05-2002, 11:45 PM   #22
qball0213

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeArcade
Funny, when I visited your site, I got about 5 popups on two pages, and two download prompts, one for gator.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 09:57 AM   #23
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

>>>>>>>>
Any site that cannot survive without swindling their users >>>>>>>>

Swindling? Exactly how is the surfer being "swindled" by clicking on an ad?

And if you allow trial attorneys to decide what type of banner ads you're allowed to put on your site they will next want to decide what type of popups you should run, or not run. And then it will be what type of text links are allowed.

This will be settled by the defendant pledging to be more careful next time and paying a fine, which will be totally consumed by the lawyers.

Again...this is a money grab by trial lawyers and nothing more and web publishers should really look at the big picture.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:11 AM   #24
OC

Quote:
Originally posted by qball0213

Funny, when I visited your site, I got about 5 popups on two pages, and two download prompts, one for gator.
I thought that was mean of you to say, until upon visiting two FA pages I received:

1 Gator install prompt
1 Xupiter install prompt (this one is particularly nasty)
1 Congratulations / "you're a winner" popup
1 "Your computer may be broadcasting an IP address" popup

OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:35 AM   #25
njpete

I follow all kind of lawsuits and new laws (particulary by the FTC) and i would once just like to see a pro webmaster suit or law.

For example x company is being prosecuted for not paying webmasters for monies due (i'm thinking of one in particular),

or x company was sued today for promising a certain payout rate but never delivering,

or even decide on basic things on some things that need to be cleared up (like are online agreements legally binding?). These guys need to be opposed until they start REALLY helping us.
njpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:52 AM   #26
darnell

The FTC works for the benefit of the consumer. So they are not going to help webmasters much unless you cry loudly enough. Like the consumers do .

They and lawyers have gone after deceptive ads on TV so don't think the web is exempt. I'm glad the suit happend.

If it results in getting rid of deceptive ads it would only be a good thing. The people have a right to express concern about those types of ads and I hope many do so. Yea lawyers started it because it's an obvious issue.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:11 AM   #27
jkcity

I just don't get the tricked into clicking on, maybe the first time you see one, I don't know why these banners still get high click throughs though, I just don't think there is that many people who are truely tricked into clicking them these days.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:25 AM   #28
funtoon

Quote:
Originally posted by jkcity
I just don't get the tricked into clicking on, maybe the first time you see one, I don't know why these banners still get high click throughs though, I just don't think there is that many people who are truely tricked into clicking them these days.
These ads are targeted toward newbie users, surely we dont click on them, as we are power users and been in this industry for a long long time.

I know newbies they get scared by a lot of silly things!
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #29
jkcity

Quote:
Originally posted by funtoon

These ads are targeted toward newbie users, surely we dont click on them, as we are power users and been in this industry for a long long time.

I know newbies they get scared by a lot of silly things!
yer, but there can't be that many newbie people around like this now.

I can think of way more decpetive advertising about, advertising like all clicks, now I know this is upto the individual webmaster how they implement this, but so many sites I have been to that implement these links deceptivly.

Last edited by jkcity; 12-06-2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #30
njpete

Quote:
Originally posted by darnell
The FTC works for the benefit of the consumer. So they are not going to help webmasters much unless you cry loudly enough. Like the consumers do .

They and lawyers have gone after deceptive ads on TV so don't think the web is exempt. I'm glad the suit happend.

If it results in getting rid of deceptive ads it would only be a good thing. The people have a right to express concern about those types of ads and I hope many do so. Yea lawyers started it because it's an obvious issue.

The FTC seems to only be concerned with the consumer especially recently. But this is not in thier mandate they should also ensure that business runs smoothly. That's where the anti webmaster problem comes in, what group is helping internet commerce run smoothly.
njpete is offline   Reply With Quote