Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #1
Just some Webjunky

Default Pre-tax net Income for the fiscal year 2002 poll?

It seems that use groundlings cannot make our own polls, so Steve would you mind setting this up. Taxes are well passed and I am sure everyone knows what they made last year by now. Hopefully alot of us geeks got wiser and more profittable.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

Dandy idea and thanks Please give me a day or two to set this up in our business principals forum.

Perhaps you can help with some ideas:

Just for Webmasters/Publishers and not affiliate networks?

Pre-tax net is an amount or loss before the owner pays themselves? BUT, it includes salaries to third parties and or independent contractors?

A calender year would be best? Most geeks are not on a fiscal year which normally does not match a calender year?

Thanks in advance?
Old 05-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Just some Webjunky

Just for Webmasters/Publishers and not affiliate networks?
-Both are fine.

Pre-tax net is an amount or loss before the owner pays themselves? BUT, it includes salaries to third parties and or independent contractors?
- Yes, however, saleries and contract work should be expensed out and not included in a net profit.

A calender year would be best? Most geeks are not on a fiscal year which normally does not match a calender year?
- To make it easy lets stick with Calender year, Jan1st - Dec 31

Thanks steve.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Steve_S

Dandy Thanks for your help.

Here is the first Poll we ran on this issue in 7/01:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=13132

The challenge in creating a quality Poll on this issue resolves around the "blending" of various types of participants in the results.

The first Poll included salaried members who work for others (not owners) and pure network owners whoes results may differ from our typical sole proprietorship member. We have all 3 of these types so I'm more inclined to do this:

Limit the Poll to self employed Webmasters.

This would preclude/eliminate folks from voting who are salaried (not owners) and members who run networks.

Some Webmasters are a blend and own sites and own networks. They are all smart enough to break this down for the Poll.

As you can see, a good Poll which strives for meaningfull results is not easy and requires some thought. I admit to a somewhat obsessive nature on this issue

Does this sound workable?
Old 05-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Well, on paper I took a loss. We found a new accountant this year and she deducted my office space! That chewed up quite a bit of the profit I would have made. The rest was eaten up by expenses which included renewing one site for nine years, buying a new site, and renewing a third for two years. Add in hosting costs, ISP, office supplies, etc. and it really adds up.

I do expect to turn a profit next year, however I don't try to factor in my time. I'm afraid that if I kept track of the hours I spend working on my sites I might frighten myself! Still, most people have hobbies that cost them money, whereas my hobby puts a little cash in my pocket, and helps defray the mortgage and taxes on our house.

Steve, you might want to include in the survey a question as to whether the sites are run as a hobby or business, and also whether they represent a primary or secondary source of income.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
Just some Webjunky

Sounds good to me Steve.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:14 PM   #7
Steve_S

Much thanks to all.

Your Poll is located at:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=21181

<Locking this thread>
Closed Thread