Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2001, 03:41 PM   #1
1lit

Default CJB.NET adds pop-unders without warning!

CJB.NET redirection, for years the most popular and reliable free redirection service, has added pop-unders to websites using its service if they want URL cloaking.

One of my websites had TWO pop-unders and so I went to investigate CJB's website.

Here's a new addition I found to the FAQ:

"Why are there popunders on my CJB.NET site?

URL cloaking includes advertisements. If you would like to keep your redirect ad free, you may order our ad removal service for $19.95 per year. For more information, please visit the Modify Account page and log in with the 'Remove Ads' option selected."

I have used CJB.NET's redirection service for years and have several redirections with them. This is going to hurt me and thousands others BADLY.

Looks like there really is no such thing as a free lunch on the net anymore. Only the big guys, who can afford to pay for services, will survive.

I already pay masses for webhosting, bandwith and my domain names. I can't afford to pay CJB.NET $20 a year for each redirection, certainly not now when the the affiliate programs I belong to are slashing their commission rates daily

Anybody know of any free redirection service which doesn't have ads and that will probably be around in a year or two?
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 04:43 PM   #2
gethosted

Worst part is you're paying double a domain registration for a subdomain.
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 05:45 PM   #3
hobojoe

They did send an email out to members warning about this a week or so ago, and I believe you only get the popunders if you use the url cloaking, so you can turn that off and not pay for the service
hobojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 06:33 PM   #4
1lit

Didn't get any email Don't know what happened.

Yes, I agree you can turn the cloaking off to stop the annoying pop-ups, but the whole point of using CJB.NET was to have a neat, short URL like blahblah.cjb.net

For $20 per annum you can buy a proper domain name...
Old 08-24-2001, 02:20 AM   #5
ryanw

I run a url redirection service that I plan on keeping around for a good amount of time. Email me at ryan@rawinet.com since your email address isn't in your profile.
ryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 05:49 AM   #6
1lit

I've managed to find your URL redirection service through your sig. file. Seems like a great service and I'll try it out.

Out of curiousity: you haven't got any ads. on the site. How do you plans on funding the free redirection service? (Ammendment: I got hit by your pop-ups when I tried to login to your account!)

Just found another redirection service I was using .CX has stopped forwarding my URL and now just redirect to some other website belonging to them. Why don't they bother to inform us? Why do bozos like .CX set-up a service, promote it, and then decide it's not worth their while just a few weeks later?

Last edited by 1lit; 08-24-2001 at 06:23 AM.