Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2000, 08:22 AM   #1
AK

Question About.com blind links

From About.com's FAQ for affiliates:

Quote:
When I generate text-links they display the word "Banner." Can I change that?

Yes. Affiliates can simply substitute the word "Banner" for whatever "text" they would like to display. For example, if you would like your text-link to display the word "About.com" simply replace the word "Banner" in your html code for the word "About.com." Just make sure that you do not alter any other part of the html code.
Should this be interpreted as that About.com allow "blind" links; that any text is allowed (that's what it says after all)? I have no intention of fooling my visitors, of course (you can always find an About.com category that fits your audience), but it would be interesting to know if the above statement should be taken literally.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 08:47 AM   #2
kris
Member.

Smile

Good eye, AK.

I suppose you can do blind links cos you arent breaking the rules, but Im sure they dont allow blind links.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 08:48 AM   #3
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

if their example was the word "whatever" instead of "About.com" i'd think blind links r ok. however, it doesn't appear they would be.

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 08:48 AM   #4
Arn

Unhappy

I would say this does NOT mean you can generate blind and misleading links.

ie. - you couldn't put "next page..." like you can with AllClicks.

While the FAQ might seem to leave that possibility open - there are certainly anti-fraud clauses which would take care of it.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 09:34 AM   #5
AK

Unhappy

I guess you are right.

Affiliate Program Agreement:
Quote:
6.3 Your use of the Search Box(es), Links and the About.com Marks is subject to About.comís
Usage Guidelines which are attached as Exhibit A to this Agreement. You will not use the About.com Marks in a manner that disparages About.com or its products or services, or portrays About.com or its products or services in a false, competitively adverse or poor light.

You will comply with About.comís requests as to the use of About.com Marks and will avoid
taking any action that diminishes the value of any of the About.com Marks.

Exhibit A:

3. You may not use or alter the Search Box(es) or Links in any manner that may dilute, diminish, or otherwise damage About.com's rights and goodwill in any About.com Marks that are part of the Search Box(es).

4. You may not use the Search Box(es) or Links in any manner that implies sponsorship or endorsement by About.com of services and products other than those provided by About.com.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote