Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Sabir

Default sabia

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
Sabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #17
Jan

Administrator

Feel free to start a new thread with your questions Sabir.

Welcome to GeekVillage
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #18
priji

This is a great summary and very important points.
priji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
notforsale

Thirty years ago I visited a friend in New York, and on the way home, while waiting at the airport, I watched the news on T.V., there were lots of commercial breaks and the presenter kept on telling me what was coming up next! Q. Why, I said to myself. A. Short attention span. So, when I check a website I see if it passes a short attention span test.

I've been back since. We have the same problem over here in the U.K. now. I wonder why?
notforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #20
xworker

Czar,

Yes,it is very good point !!Thanks.

Last edited by xworker; 04-05-2008 at 09:17 AM.
xworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #21
whambanners

A wonderful list - makes me want to cry though as my life is not long enough to do everything we are advised we should do with sites and marketing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar View Post
Geek/Talk's "Webmaster Issues" forum has long been a famous source of website evaluation information. That said, the evaluation process has often been a fairly piecemeal affair in which a few subjective opinions are provided regarding layout, functionality, reliability and the like.

While this process remains highly valuable, thanks to the input made by a number of our skilled members, it could arguably be enhanced through the development of a basic evaluation checklist.

If any of you have developed a checklist of this type in the past, please share a few tips here in an effort to help us build a definitive list against which any site may be objectively evaluated, its strengths identified and its weaknesses rectified.

Following are a few category headings and suggested evaluation criteria to get us started down this path. Please feel free to suggest additions or subtractions to this list, based on your knowledge of common failings in website design and marketing:

This is just a rough starting point. Please do suggest modifications based on your prior experienced in developing and evaluating websites and we'll see if, together, we can develop a truly definitive criteria list that may be used both on "Webmaster Issues" and in evaluating our own creations in the future.

Thanks in advance.
whambanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #22
shilpamg

Quote:
Geek/Talk's "Webmaster Issues" forum has long been a famous source of website evaluation information. That said, the evaluation process has often been a fairly piecemeal affair in which a few subjective opinions are provided regarding layout, functionality, reliability and the like.

While this process remains highly valuable, thanks to the input made by a number of our skilled members, it could arguably be enhanced through the development of a basic evaluation checklist.

If any of you have developed a checklist of this type in the past, please share a few tips here in an effort to help us build a definitive list against which any site may be objectively evaluated, its strengths identified and its weaknesses rectified.

Following are a few category headings and suggested evaluation criteria to get us started down this path. Please feel free to suggest additions or subtractions to this list, based on your knowledge of common failings in website design and marketing:

This is just a rough starting point. Please do suggest modifications based on your prior experienced in developing and evaluating websites and we'll see if, together, we can develop a truly definitive criteria list that may be used both on "Webmaster Issues" and in evaluating our own creations in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for this good and useful information.
shilpamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #23
monitornet

This a good list to work from, thanks for sharing that.

I would recommend that since you indicated this has criteria for good sites, to refine this bullet point:

"Depth - what is the maximum number of clicks it takes to reach a page within the depths of the site?"

As in, what is an ideal depth for a given subject/page type...and does that vary from site to site, and for what reasons? It has a lot to do with how you set up your menu bars...which is another tricky issue. I've been to sites that try to simplify too much with menu bars, and to others that have way too many menu bars (mainly because they have so many pages).
monitornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Czar

Webmaster

Hi Dani and welcome to Geek/Talk.

You're quite right that the depth issue does vary from site to site. You need to weigh the accessibility of deep pages with the usability and relevance of the primary navigation system.

In general, having a visible sitemap page is important and should technically make deep pages available within 2-3 clicks even on large sites, but 3-5 is acceptable through primary and on-page navigation if you're talking about a large site. In that case, though, the process still needs to be very intuitive and search or directory features can help to address any weaknesses or inaccessibility if you believe that the process to reach some important deep areas is too complex.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #25
tardist

Default good good

thats good stuff and thank you.

I'm learning a lot on this forum and i have just arrived.

think i might stay a while

best

tardist
tardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #26
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome to Geek/Talk, tardist. It's great to have you here.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #27
monitornet

Quote:
Hi Dani and welcome to Geek/Talk.

You're quite right that the depth issue does vary from site to site. You need to weigh the accessibility of deep pages with the usability and relevance of the primary navigation system.

In general, having a visible sitemap page is important and should technically make deep pages available within 2-3 clicks even on large sites, but 3-5 is acceptable through primary and on-page navigation if you're talking about a large site. In that case, though, the process still needs to be very intuitive and search or directory features can help to address any weaknesses or inaccessibility if you believe that the process to reach some important deep areas is too complex.
Thanks for the response, and for the welcome.

I see, you really want to keep it below four for a small site...hmm, I will need to rethink my design a bit. I guess really large sites need to have a very large menu bar.
monitornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
crothall

Good pointers. I usually judge a site based on two things:

1. How easy it is to navigate and find the content I am looking for.

2. The quality of the content.

Quote:
- Is content structurally separate from navigational elements?
I'm not sure what you mean by this...do you mean that the navigational elements stand alone from the content, while still describing what content is being linked to?
crothall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #29
Czar

Webmaster

Yes. It basically means that navigation doesn't take place within the body content region, but that each page may be reached through a separate navigation system. On larger sites, this may not be feasible, but for small sites it's important from a usability perspective.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #30
diaadrian
Member.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Good information for me
diaadrian is offline   Reply With Quote