Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
gophergas

Default Need a dedicated server. Recommendations?

I'm going to be needing a dedicated server pretty soon. Some friends of mine and I are thinking about joining together so that we can cut costs a little. My bandwidth needs are going to be pretty steep, I think, so I'll be looking for something that gives me either 1TB or higher (or unlimited, if possible). But I do want at least some decent support on it as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

gophergas, some of these previous Geek/Talk threads might be of help to you with information about dedicated servers:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26728

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26763

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=24724

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=24843
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
gophergas

Thanks, larwee! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Now that I think about it, there was probably...

Oh, bollocks! Yep, that's what I should've done.

I should've just gone and done a search instead of mucking up the board with a question that had already been answered. Sorry 'bout that. I'll try to do better next time.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

lol

Feel free to post a new thread whenever inspiration hits you. You never know, our respondents may be able to provide some more up-to-date information or assistance that bears particular relevance to your needs.

Always know, however, that our search feature is readily available as a backup to confirm or contradict statements that are made in the current climate. It's always good to research comments made previously about a given supplier before putting your faith (and dollars) in their trust.

I hope you find the perfect dedicated host for you.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
TheMonkey

There is no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth". You should research this issue further before purchasing something.
TheMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:04 AM   #6
funtoon

Yes there is nothing like unlimited bandwith, if you think you would be going over 1 or 1.5 TB then you should be looking at 10 or 20 mbps unmetered bandwidth server.

But 10mbps or 20 mpbs server would cost you a lot more than standard server configuration.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
wsz

I am likely to need a dedicated server within this year, due to forum script needs.

When money permits, I plan on staying with Pair .

I have been with them for some time, and they are great. I previously upgraded from a minimum hosting accout to a "High-Volume" account (i.e. you pay more, but get on a server with fewer neighbours.)

Some of the folks here have also recommended RaqShack, so you may want to search the GV forum archives.
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
Ted S

Pair networks is rather expensive for a server with limited resources, even compared to "managed" providers, but if you like them enough to pay the difference that may be the right choice. Personally I recommend www.theplanet.com for high end servers or their child company www.servermatrix.com for smaller machines. ThePlanet has great pricing, great reliability and reliable support. rackshack.net is also a good vendor, although I have not had a server there myself. I also have a client who has several servers with rackspace.com, they cost far more and I haven't seen anything amazing in support for the extra money BUT the client likes them so I suppose the value is getting added somewhere in the process.

Last edited by Ted S; 03-06-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
batcavenet
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Theplanet

I also vote for theplanet.com - great speed - uptime is awesome and they are very helpful with advanced issues and abuse complaints. I've been with them a couple of years now

JDT
batcavenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
funtoon

Also do check out www.layeredtech.com/ good servers, excellent network (I am with the SAVIS DC) and not to forget great pricing.

Last edited by funtoon; 03-29-2005 at 05:39 AM.
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:07 AM   #11
sameer

another vote for theplanet...
sameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
Hivelocity

What are you going to be using the server for? Gaming? If so you want to make sure you are going with a provider with good bandwidth like Level3, Savvis, Global Crossing and Uunet. Where are you located?
Hivelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
gophergas

Thanks, folks. Based on this thread and the others I've seen, it looks like ThePlanet.com and ServerMatrix.com are the most recommended. I'll start talking with them to figure out what my best option will be.

Appreciate the help
Old 05-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #14
superlaugh

I suggest EV1servers.net

I have been using them for about 6 years now. They are great, and have some great deals.

They have 100 mbps also. A bit expensive for that.

But all there servers are 10 mbps. The dual xeons rarely let you down!

I use the Dual Xeons. The company has really turned out to be a great one!
superlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
mmx

Quote:
Originally posted by funtoon
Also do check out www.layeredtech.com/ good servers, excellent network (I am with the SAVIS DC) and not to forget great pricing.
I just got a new dedicated server from LayeredTech last week. So far, everything's good. It was a bit daunting at first (playing with DNS and such) and the fear of ******** something up was always on the back of my mind...but reading and Googling resolved any issues I had come across.

LT has great prices, by the way.
mmx is offline   Reply With Quote