Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2002, 08:10 AM   #1
ceo

Default Yahoo Mail - LOL - dawn of a new era !

Quote:
Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers..............

Subscribe before April 24th and get the first year of service for just $19.99. That's 33% off the regular service fee of $29.99. .
Gosh !
What do they offer ?
Nothing much really. :
1. access to pop
2. no yahoo sig.
3. 1.5 mb attach. increased to 5 mb

I would 90% have subscribed today if they had to increase the space to 10-15 MB ; )
Now I've to think about this.......

How many of you guys are signing ?
Old 03-21-2002, 10:20 AM   #2
jokearound

I personally wouldnt use it, as its probably cheaper to get a domain name and a very basic hosting package - giving me 5+ pop3 emails on my own domain name..(not that I would do that either, as I have my own dedicated..but still)

I expect that alot of people will go for it though, and net yahoo a large bunch of change..
Old 03-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
Edwin

Well, traffic to my email-related discussion forums just hit 1.5x my previous all-time-high (and most of the US hasn't even woken up yet!) so it seems a lot of users are VERY concerned about the changes.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
darnell

Well it's not like we didn't know this was coming. And more will probably come...

But it may be easier for some users to pay than to change e-mail accounts. Since their e-mail address may be attached to many other services. But who knows. I'm just speculating there.

I say it's better that Yahoo do what is needed to save jobs than continue giving something away.

5 years from now we will look back and see this year as a transition period to paid web services and companies doing what is really needed to turn a profit.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:36 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb plan ahead

ditto

Seems to me that webmasters who have a free email address bound to a bunch of lists, services, whois records, etc might wan't to think about either using a real domain based POP3 email account or shopping around for a pay per year web based email service. If you start early you have time to change records.

The thought of having to use and pay for your fav free email account because you don't have time to shop around and change records concerns me.

BTW, this BB has 278 members with posting privileges using either hotmail or yahoo. All of which were grandfathered into our procedures back in 9/00
Old 03-21-2002, 03:32 PM   #6
Edwin

Great point, Steve! If you lose control over the email contact of a domain name, it can get very sticky indeed when you have to change something or transfer the name... you're talking about certified notarized faxes at a minimum, and often even more complex and arcane authentication processes.

There is another huge consequence of this move by Yahoo!: many millions of people will give up their Yahoo! Mail addresses entirely (after all, they have over 100 MILLION users!), potentially dealing a huge body-blow to all newsletter owners and businesses that depend on collecting and monetizing email addresses (in any way).

I would guess that the average mailing list might include 10-20% of members from a Yahoo! Mail address...

The fact that people have to pay for a formerly free service is the very tip of the iceberg!
Old 03-21-2002, 04:13 PM   #7
ceo

Arrow Yes...

Quote:
Seems to me that webmasters who have a free email address bound to a bunch of lists, services, whois records, etc might wan't to think about either using a real domain based POP3 email account or shopping around for a pay per year web based email service.
Steve, that's soooo true.
Goodness, I almost forgot. I have my Yahoo email address attached to over 500 domains and so many many lists.

Geeez, but then I shouldn't be crying over the 19$ charge, now should I ?
Old 03-21-2002, 05:06 PM   #8
havaloc

Default not a big deal....

This is not a big deal like you are all making it. They are only shutting off free POP3 access. Their web based product is still free, which I'd wager a huge majority of their members use.