Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2001, 10:39 AM   #1
Swamper

Angry IE6 to block ad companies that don't abide by new privacy standard

I didn't see a thread on this anywhere else sooo.. here goes:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...092754,00.html

IE 6 beta clamps down on privacy
By Stefanie Olsen, News.com
June 15, 2001 6:40 AM PT

As Microsoft puts the finishing touches on an upgrade to its popular browser, Internet advertising companies are racing to ensure that their ads and cookies are compatible with it.

Internet Explorer 6, scheduled to be released in August, will be the first browser to support a new privacy standard called Platform Privacy Preferences, or P3P.

With P3P, Web surfers can configure their browsers to automatically determine whether a Web site collects personally identifiable information, uses that information to create user profiles, or allows visitors to opt out of the data-collection.

Ad networks also must post privacy policies that can be read by the browser. Sites and ads that are not compliant with the standards being included in IE 6 may not be able to place cookies on PC users' hard drives.

"In order for ad networks to continue to set cookies on people's computers, they'll have to create a P3P privacy policy--many haven't done that yet," said Richard Smith, chief technology officer at the Privacy Foundation, a Denver-based watchdog group and research foundation. Smith said that by his count about 50 to 100 marketers and ad networks set third-party cookies, many of which could be blocked by users of IE 6.

"All those guys are going to have to hustle to get a P3P privacy policy in place or their cookies won't work," Smith said.

Because cookies are an important component of online advertising, leading ad networks such as DoubleClick and Engage are working to ensure compatibility with IE 6.

DoubleClick, for example, uses cookies to create anonymous profiles on consumers who visit specific sites or content areas, such as sports pages or financial sites. With this information, the company might target a Nike ad to a consumer surfing a retail site who regularly visits sports Web sites.

Engage, which serves ads for about 3,400 Web sites, is installing headers so that the browser will be able to read Engage cookies. Complying with P3P is a "fairly significant expenditure of a couple of people's time but it's not overly burdensome," said Engage spokesman Mark Horan.

"Our site will be P3P compliant within the next three weeks," he added. "Much more important, our cookies will be P3P-compliant before IE 6 launches this fall."

Jules Polonetsky, DoubleClick's privacy chief, said his company also will have its privacy policy and cookie headers ready before the launch of IE 6.

Meanwhile, the default privacy controls for IE 6 could spell trouble for some companies that are late in meeting P3P compliance.

The default setting in IE 6 allows a "first-party" cookie to be set, meaning that if a person visits Yahoo the browser will accept a cookie from Yahoo.

However, "third-party" cookies--most often set by marketers or ad networks to track consumer response to promotions--will be allowed through IE 6 default settings only if the third party allows consumers to opt out of data-collection practices. If the company doesn't give consumers an option, the cookie will be blocked.

DoubleClick's Polonetsky noted the company does not collect personally identifiable information with its cookies and does offer consumers an opt out, so its cookies will be accepted under IE 6 default settings.

"This is a great step for protecting consumer's privacy on the Web," said Rick Miller, a Microsoft spokesman. "Consumers will be able to control what personal information they give out to marketers."

DoubleClick's Polonetsky, who helped to develop the P3P standard, said that although his company will be prepared for the new settings, many online companies may run into trouble come August.

"Here's the surprise: Many Web sites, especially complicated ones with third-party content provided by their affiliates, may discover that they are third parties on their own sites," Polonetsky said. This would create a situation where their cookies would not be accepted on their own properties.

However, Smith said that this will not likely be a problem for many sites because they work fine without cookies, which makes targeting ads more difficult but not impossible
Swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 10:46 AM   #2
Scuba

Talking

Micro$oft as the gardian of Privecy.
ROFL ROFL ROFL

------------------
Why don't you read the free literature we included with your computer? It's a Classic love story about a spanish guy named Manual
If you are into Video Editing - http://www.highvid.com
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 11:08 PM   #3
LordBiO

Unhappy

I read this article over the weekend and I am surprised that something like this is even being set up especially from the likes of Microsoft. This could potentially hurt internet publishers, but hopefully the big ad networks like Doubleclick, 24/7 Media and L90 will all be support P3P when IE6 launches and then the smaller ad networks will all follow in place. And hopefully it will be a seamless transition and we as publishers will not be affected.
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 02:16 AM   #4
SearchNerd

Unhappy

This is being implemented and was even in 6.0 Beta to some extent. It kept coming up with an error to almost eevery site I went to about them not having a privacy policy.

AOL is going to be releasing 7.0 sometime in the near future. Even the smallest type of error causes AOL to pop up with an error. Hope they don't include 6.0 in the code.

People should be paying attention to this. This is very real and will be happening soon. Get your sites, ads, and cookies in order or you WILL have problems.

This is a W3C standard:
http://www.w3.org/P3P/

Basically, it looks like most people will need to be adding a .xml file in a certain directory - kinda like a robots.txt. It looks like it is WAY more involved though - different fields for this type of cookie - you MUST have this your MUST have that.

I will be putting one up soon to test it out, but first I have to read all that **** again.
SearchNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 04:00 AM   #5
Jan

Administrator

Unhappy

I can see this will be a problem with (guess) 70% of the population upgrading to the newest software. I personally, am not an IE fan anyway, so am in no great rush to get the latest IE or anything else for that matter http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
I like to stick with comfort and also haven't the patience to wait for a mega download of latest software.
I hope you can work out a solution to the problem that IE6 will cause to advertising.
How many of you have a firewall already that blocks advertising? I know of a few that use it (non website owners) and they like the ability to surf without being inundated with banners etc. Also 'close popup' software has been around for sometime now and it is increasing in popularity from what I hear from friends. There is one site I visit daily that I use closepopup for now.....one that spawns at least 12 new popups over a 10-15 minute period. That is soooooo annoying!! Does useful.com ring a bell?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 04:48 AM   #6
Ralph Slate

Unhappy

I wonder if this will be a problem with default redirection. If networks are able to comply by writing some headers, but can only do this if the adcode is native to the site (as opposed to a default redirect) then say goodbye to being able to sell your defaults -- in many cases, that ability is what is keeping us alive.

Ralph
Ralph Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:08 PM   #7
zboca

Unhappy

microsoft is trying to make a new image for themselves. microsoft works for the people, and the privacy of the people.... hrm.. riiight
they are doing this because of doubleclick, doubleclick is involved in the law suit cases. the cases are going to hurt doubleclick,

------------------
Zak Boca
zboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 03:04 AM   #8
reflections

Unhappy

Does anyone know if companies like cj and linkshare etc are compliant or how affiliate tracking that uses cookies will work with this?

Debbie
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 03:51 AM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Though I have yet to test IE6, a contributor to this SitePoint thread claimed that CJ, LinkShare, FineClicks, cXc and DoubleClick are amongst those that aren't ready.

Nevertheless, designing a P3P-compliant privacy policy is not a difficult task, and I think you'll find that most major affiliate networks and cookie-reliant websites will have appropriat policies posted before IE6 or XP see public release.

To design your own compliant policy, take a quick trip down to SiteOwner.com.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote