Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Arrow MASSIVE NEWS: GeekVillage acquired by Google, Inc.

Fellow Geeks,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that GeekVillage has reached a new pinnacle of achievement, thanks to the brilliant efforts of our many savvy members.

Let me preface this exciting news by saying that I've been granted permission to make this pre-release announcement on the condition that I not release certain information about the transaction. This not only includes financial details, but some really, really exciting feature enhancements that are being planned presently. Believe me, however, once this information is released to the public, it will blow your mind.

Now, what I can say is that your humble GeekVillage (and, more particularly, the Geek/Talk forums) caught the eye of Google's AdSense publisher relations team. After a few months of discussion, we finally closed a deal this week that will see Google acquire GeekVillage and Geek/Talk.

Moments after I post this, you'll notice a few of the more immediate branding changes; namely the forum's new logo. One thing that I have been specifically asked to explain is the new transitional branding. Google have tentatively decided to drop the 'geek' from our name due to a perceived conflict with a similarly-named website that holds a registered trademark over a mark that contains both the term "geek" and an associated propeller cap icon. Until this is resolved, GeekVillage is likely to be renamed "GVillage.com" (this domain is presently being transferred to Google), while Geek/Talk is to be branded simply as "Gtalk". It is believed that this sufficiently differentiates the brand from both existing third-party trademarks and Google's own unrelated "Google Talk" service. The brand is also similar enough to our previous name as to maintain some semblance of continuity and cultural consistency.

On the issue of consitency, Google are fortunately keen to reinforce that they will uphold the same principles on which Geek/Talk has been built, which is to provide a fun and informative source of information and discussion for indie publishers and online marketers. Our culture and the forum's determined focus on quality were key factors in influencing Google's decision to play an integral role within this community, so your experience here will be as rewarding as ever under the new ownership.

As testament to this claim, Google have stated that they will maintain most of the current leadership team in various capacities. A few new team members are being added from Google's staff at this stage, though much of their activity during the next couple of months will be to perform some fairly serious development and integration work to the forum's back-end.

Two new team members who will take on visible roles, and who you will no doubt meet sooner rather than later, are David Briggs and Jennifer Painter. David will oversee all Gtalk operational issues, including the application of new features, while also serving as the conduit between Google and myself while we work through the mammoth undertaking of powering Gtalk to new heights within the webmaster community.

Jennifer will be a very frequent visitor. Hers is a hands-on publisher relations role, for which she has been assigned "Moderator" status. Jennifer will serve you just as any member of Team Geek would, by helping to encourage discussion in various areas, providing solutions and assistance to new members and helping to maintain the board's quality rating as it grows in popularity and is integrated with various related Google initiatives. Her role here officially begins on April 7, though hopefully she'll drop by to introduce herself before then. (Be gentle folks! )

Incidentally, Google have made it clear in their discussions with me that they have no intent of transforming this board into a pseudo AdSense support forum, so discussion about ad networks that compete with Google will continue to be supported and encouraged, as will posts that are constructively critical of Google.

I hope that you'll all welcome this announcement as a positive move for the community. An official media release and announcements about some of the exciting new enhancements that we have under development will be released soon.

Feel free to post your thoughts and questions here. I regret that I may not be able to answer everything as openly as I'd like at this stage, but I'll do what I can to fill in any gaps.

Thanks!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

That is fantastic! Now the only thing that would make this even better would be if Larry Page and Sergey Brin would stop by on occasions and post.

Last edited by Larwee; 03-31-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

That would be nice indeed. I haven't had any dealings with the big cheeses thus far. To be honest, as exciting as this is for us, I think we're still a small fry in the scheme of their expanding empire and Misters Brin and Page may not even have been involved with this deal.

That said, as you know, I wasn't sure that Google reps were even big readers of Geek/Talk, since they used to be the only major company in interactive advertising that didn't have a presence here. My assumption couldn't have been further from the truth in that case, so maybe the Google founders will breeze by at some stage in the future; particularly if some of the new developments to be applied strike a chord with the indie publishing market.

It's all very exciting.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
GoogleJen

Hello everyone.

I guess this is as appropriate a time as any to introduce myself.

I've been reading this forum for a couple of months, so I feel a though I know many of you already (Hi Larwee!). I'm astounded by the level of ingenuity and innovation that I've seen displayed by many of the members here, so I'm not sure how much I'll be guiding you, or whether it's more a case of you guiding me. Whatever the case, I look forward to working with each of you towards making the most of your websites.

Feel free to send any questions regarding the forum to me via the board's private messaging system, or simply post your questions publicly and I'll assist where I can.

To let you know a little about my background, I've been with Google since 2004. During my time with the company, I've worked solely in member and publisher support roles, with both Blogger and AdSense. This experience has helped to make me aware of some of the most common issues that affect webmasters, and I'm happy to be able to bring the knowledge that I have gained over the years, to this new role.

I'll continue to be involved elsewhere in Google for the time being, but will make it a point to visit Gtalk several times each day. I just hope you don't get sick of me too soon.

All the best,
Jen.
GoogleJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Mark Wegener

"Gtalk .. Beta" I guess that makes it google's oldest beta product

What will happen to the Geekvillage.com homepage?

How exactly does it fit google? what will google do for gtalk?

Last edited by Mark Wegener; 03-31-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Mark Wegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

I can answer your first question, but unfortunately the other two involve information that I'm not allowed to release at this stage; which is a pity, because they're the most exciting.

The Geekvillage homepage will be radically transformed. Some of the existing content will be scrapped and some of the web tools will be revamped or replaced by Google techs. Google is keen to focus on interactive features and user-generated content wherever possible, so static reviews and articles are likely to be turfed. In their place will be a new blog edited by Team Geekers, RSS feeds from a few related sources and more deep links to Gtalk forum features. The directory looks as though it will remain at this stage, although that will also be overhauled (though much further down the priority track).

Old 03-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Larwee

GeekGuide

Hi GoogleJen.

It is good to see that you feel as though you already know us.

Last edited by Larwee; 03-31-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
sdarken

Dream on Josh

Why dont you pick yourself up one of these USB-powered sun-tanning kits (just released today by coincidence) and pretend that you've been somewhere sunny with all your "new found wealth"
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/usbtanner.shtml
But dont get racoon eyes like the guy in the photo
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hmmm...

He's a wily one that Czar....

Old 03-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Steve_S

Arrow Read This!

I am the founder of GV which includes these Forums. I cherish the loyality of our members. Although I may not agree with some of our members, I may infact find some of their posts repugnant and no more than self serving and raise the post count or inflating their own egoes or trying to turn GV into a News site for Google, and destroy a nearly 8 year culture, I will continue to treat each and every member with respect and talk in a civil fashion. Some of our members have been posting for over 5 years. Numerous net business got started in these hallowed halls and the colective "pain" we have inflicted on the Spyware Community should never be forgotten. Ask Dale Begg-Smith! Communities are all about US and NEVER what YOU do.

Having said all this for a little "drama" and having just completed my own confidential contacts research along with some backround checks, I have NEWS for some of you! Please READ CAREFULLY!

THIS IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE

BTW, I had offers for tons of money and I mean boatloads of the stuff from major "Corporations" BUT I truned them all down (and sold this Community to Dr. Twisted Humor/Czar) since Communities run by ANY MAJOR CORPORATION (including Google) have not and NEVER WILL WORK. Take that to the bank as best you can.

Czar, I think you might have "sun stroke" as Simon/Dr. Stat suggests.

Nice try but YOU loose! Have a nice day!!!

Last edited by Steve_S; 03-31-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Jan

Administrator

This certainly explains a few things I have observed recently.

*Speechless for now!

Edit: Just saw Stevie's reply

Last edited by Jan; 03-31-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
Worthen
Pending Review

you had me going,

when i first saw the new logo, i thought ... they can't do that

then i read the announcement and thought ... i would have never seen this coming

then i thought, man that czar has it going on, this is sweet for him and i need to congratualate him

i never thought about april 1 --- but very nicely done
Worthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
Pilatus

wah you pulled my leg
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
Robert from SI

Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
Czar

Webmaster

Sprung!

I knew it would be hard to pull this off in a community that features so many savvy researchers, but we did our best. I thought that the 'beta' reference in the logo would be the factor that tipped most members off, but didn't expect Steve to run a full background check and industry gossip sweep this soon.

Congrats on calling my bluff so quickly.

My biggest regret is that we'll no longer see GoogleJen around these parts, and won't get to meet manager Dave. I was growing rather fond of their presence. * No, clearly I don't have a life *

Anyway, I'll leave the logo and announcement up for another few hours, but will then trade our familiar old branding back in. In truth, I'm somewhat relieved that you busted me before Google's lawyers started taking this seriously.

HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY FOLKS!

Last edited by Czar; 03-31-2006 at 08:59 PM.