Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-1999, 06:23 PM   #1
Tommyfish

Cool Do I go black or white

I have been doing sites now for some time and I never thought I would ask an opinion and somthing thats probably so simple... but..... should I use a black or white background ?

I like using black, but I am now designing what will be a 'portal' site, and for some reasons, many people have suggested me to use white, not black..........

any thoughts ? is a black page actually bad for the eyes? or is it that everybody is used to seeing white backgound on large 'portal' sites...........

opinions are welcomed........

Thomas

Tommyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-1999, 07:06 PM   #2
KidKilowatt

Cool

White is just more Pleasing to the Eyes.

I would suggest going with white.
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-1999, 07:37 PM   #3
Matt C

Cool

You could do what yahoo does and not set a bgcolor.. so whatever the user has set it to thats what it would be (probably grey).. but I dislike grey http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Go with white.
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-1999, 11:17 AM   #4
Questy

Cool

Greetings Tommyfish,

There are many angles to this question, here's a few to think about...

When I see someone new on the forum I usually check out their profile, and their website. When member letsgopens first joined I checked out his website, and thought, wow, this is the coolest sports website I've see in awhile!!! (When I first looked at this site I wasn't thinking about background color I was thinking great content.)

Check out his site at: http://www.letsgopens.com/

Not just the background color, but all the colors together make up the theme of your site.

In marketing, your name (business name that is), your logo, the colors used in your logo, all become part of your signature. I spend quite a bit of time thinking about color scheme. Making sure that the light colors compliment dark colors.

I don't use white at all as a back ground, I use pale tones. I actually did a test with background, and found that many olders folks found a pale tone was more pleasing to their eyes than a white background.

When I speak of pale tones, notice the pale tones used on this forum?

Keep in mind that the sum total of all the colors used becomes part of the theme of the website.

------------------
Regards from your forum moderator
..... "Questy"

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 12-29-1999).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-1999, 12:14 AM   #5
LetsGoPens.com

Questy, where do I send your referral check? Seriously, thanks for the nice words about my site.

One thing I might add is that for some reason I get a lot of people using WebTV visiting my site (Please no snide comments about Penguins fans!) and they say that black backgrounds with bolded text work best on a TV.

As far as the color scheme, it's not much of a stretch on my part since I just matched up the Pens gold (#ffb200), old blue color (#38b0de), and threw in some red for good measure.

Questy, since Pittsburgh is 7-2 under Brooks I'd like to say now that firing Constantine was pure genius! :-)

Take care,
RJ
http://LetsGoPens.com/
LetsGoPens.com is offline   Reply With Quote