Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2001, 09:50 PM   #1
mp3next
Member.

Question How Many People Actually Sign Up For Contests?

I noticed that there are a lot of pay per lead programs that offer for users to sign up for contests? Well most of the people in know who are moderatly advanced web users never in a million years would sign up due the fear of being spammed...

anyways i wanted to know if anyone here is running a program having to do with contests and what are have your results been like???

thanks if anyone can help? i'm trying to work an idea i have for a web site... =)
mp3next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 09:59 PM   #2
AK

Unhappy

The conversion rates for the contests I have promoted (mostly through CJ) on my sites is somewhere between 25%-40%. Not bad at all.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 11:12 PM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

I've also seen great success through contest-based CPA programs, with conversion rates comparable to AK's on Websponsors.com's various sweepstakes, but substantially lower on most CJ programs.

From what I can gather, though, you're right about the increased fear of spam. I run several freebie sites, and these used to be horendously popular. Nowadays, though, web users have wizened up to the fact that nothing really comes for free, and that contest forms usually result in a few commercial messages being sent to the form-filler. This has resulted in a slow decrease in CTRs and conversion rates on offers of this type, in my experience.

Still, if you run a general-audience site, there's a greater chance that a user will fill out a free form when a prize is on the line, than actually make a purchase, so these programs are worth testing.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 12:02 PM   #4
Kaycee

Unhappy

You have to have a particular kind of traffic.

Just because an Internet user is advanced and experienced doesn't necessarily mean they will avoid contests that ask for an e-mail address.

Through their exerience they may well have found out that you simply get 1 or more free e-mail addresses and have your expected spam sent there.

There are certain types of individuals out there that are looking to sign up for everything they can find that has the feel of Free. It's kind of an addiction for them.

You've got to kind of try to think like them to figure out how to attract them. It's alot of work actually, because there is so much competition for their attention.

That being said, you can still do fairly well by taking pop-shots in the dark as it were, at most types of traffic.

Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote