Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Polaris

Default No ranking for main page of my site

Hello, dear webmasters!

3 or 4 monthes ago my site was good ranked at MSN and Yahoo. Then I've lost these positions, now my site has some good positions, but only due secondary pages. The main page of my site (index.shtml) has no more good positions. Could anybody explain me this situation? I can even tip the direct name of my site in the search field of MSN or Yahoo and get only secondary pages, not the index page. Is the main page banned by MSN and Yahoo? How can I detect it for sure? How can I avoid this ban?

Waiting for your answers or suggestions! Thank you in advance!

With best regards, Alex
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
Del

Welcome to the site , at least assuming this is your first account here and that you haven't been lurking without an account.

Try narrowing your search and making sure that the main page is nowhere to be found. Check the page's meta tags. Check the ads that are on that page, look at the pages that have surpassed yours and compare... Electronic mail the search engines and ask, but then again it's not just one engine... Check the search engines rules, see what they have in common and check your page for those things if your page isn't anywhere in the results...
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
princess23

update your content and checked the meta tags as well.

get more relevant back links
princess23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
solidghost

I think it's natural to have your inner pages to rank better in SERPs.
Actually, it is a good thing. You can optimize more easily those pages than the single main page.
solidghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
caminodesantiago

this is happening to me also. also one of my sites main page went from pr2 to pr1 and the rest of the site has stayed at pr2 - I can find no reason why. I have not copied anything - i am not using any stupid things in the code - the only thing i have been doing is building links - a lot - i wonder if that is having a bad effect?
caminodesantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

caminodesantiago, are you still getting visitors to your site? Are they increasing? If they aren't, it is nothing to do with page rank. If they are increasing, it has little to do with page rank.

Work on your site content, make it interesting enough that people will bookmark it and keep coming back. Page rank won't bring them back, only your content will
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
morkov
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidghost
I think it's natural to have your inner pages to rank better in SERPs.
I always suppose it's easier for the main page to rank better than for inner pages.

Last edited by morkov; 03-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
morkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
caminodesantiago

hi jan,

it is just that i have never come across this before - it is not a big problem - but i wonder what is happening.

the main page was pr2 about a month ago same as the rest of the site - then it went to pr1 and disappeared from the search results for a few days - now it is back in the search results okay and i am still getting the same amount of visitor - just really strange, my index page has always on all sites ranked higher than the inside pages and i have never lost rank before as i keep adding useful content.

No big deal, but i still wonder over these things.
caminodesantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
princess23

hi jan. any updates with your site?
princess23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
WebDollars

Same here. Had a site where all pages were PR2 and after latest update they stayed that way except for the main page that went to PR0.
No idea why except that I neglected it for a while and also had some blog posts done in what I later found out was a "bad neighborhood"
BTW Big G also removed all backlinks in Webmaster tools....go figure
WebDollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Nutri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
caminodesantiago, are you still getting visitors to your site? Are they increasing? If they aren't, it is nothing to do with page rank. If they are increasing, it has little to do with page rank.

Work on your site content, make it interesting enough that people will bookmark it and keep coming back. Page rank won't bring them back, only your content will
I like this, it's sort of a motivational speech for SEO!
Nutri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
Rubby

What about content and keywords on your mainpage?
Rubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #13
shilpamg

increase your content quality and do the seo again.
shilpamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
ben01

check meta tag and in content keywords.
ben01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #15
shilpamg

increase your website's content quality and do the off-page-optimization.
shilpamg is offline   Reply With Quote