Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2001, 10:21 AM   #1
Phoenix0

Default multiple domain/virtual hosting

Well i'm really just looking for virtual hosting. If i could find a host that supports multiple domains for just a little extra that would be a very nice bonus... I'd only need 2-3 domains total...

Anyway, i was zooming over the internet (well... not really zooming, you probly know how Win98 gets when it's been running for almost 2 days... yes i should be lucky it hasn't crashed yet) and i got some URLs i'd like an opinion about.

10GB, 100MB, PHP, MySQL and SSL
$12.5/month (if paid for 6months... same for a year)
seems to have a lot of pre-installed stuff which i really don't want...
http://www.liquidweb.com/services/virtual/index.html

15GB, 350MB, PHP, MySQL and SSL
$10/month (if paid for 2 yrs) or $12/month (if paid for 1yr)
also has PHPMyAdmin, i heard it's a nifty little program but i don't really need it. not sure if i even want it...
http://www.hostrocket.com/products/shared.htm

of course neither one of these has a unique IP (well liquidweb just doesn't mention it, hostrocket would give one for an extra $2/month)
honestly right now i probly use about 2-2.5 GB but i've been thinking of transforming the site into a shop (hence the SSL)
i am using about 30-40MB (to my own surprise when i checked...)

i'm currently hosted with tera-byte which has very cheap bandwidth (20 gigs for $10/month (1yr)) buti'm having reliability issues... over the past year there's been a lot of MySQL downtime (if averaged out i'd say about 10-15minutes every week) and sometimes the entire domain is down...
Also, i'd prefer a US based company. and as you can see my budget is very small (my revenue right now is... well nothing - AND i'm a student) so a dedicated server is very enticing but out of the question...

i dunno... maybe i should just stick with tera-byte... The speed isn't so bad, the downtime doesn't really matter since my site is completely unimportant (and i'll probly never get to my shopping site), it's a UNIX machine (well, RAQ, close enough) and it's cheaper than any other place i've found (while still reliable).

<edit>liquidweb does support multiple domains at $5/month/domain
however hostrocket clearly states on their page that they don't so i didn't email them... (they might, but their page says they don't)</edit>

Last edited by Phoenix0; 12-13-2001 at 12:05 PM.
Phoenix0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:48 AM   #2
arcmax

try bid2host.com...offers escrow payment and 5 day test drive period. with seupfee eturn guarantee.

thanks
apoorva
arcmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:40 PM   #3
PlanetLaunch

Pair.com provides what you are looking for. You can sign up for a hosting package and then add new domains to your account for only $2 per month. Each new account has its own unique IP address.
PlanetLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote