Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2001, 04:41 PM   #1
dezevo
Member.

Default Anybody know why IE wants to save all my files as .BMP rather than .GIF/.JPG ?

Every time I try to "right-click" on any picture on a website to save it, it only lets me save them as .BMP. All these pictures are obviously not .BMP's, but it converts them. It really stinks, especially if I have to save an animated banner. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Just some background information - I got:

Windows XP
Internet Explorer 6

Any answers would be great

PS - why the heck is "s*cks" considered a bad word?

Last edited by dezevo; 12-12-2001 at 04:41 PM.
dezevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:46 PM   #2
Vito

I would love to hear the answer to the .bmp problem. I've had the same frustration for about 2 months now. Until someone offers a solution, here's what you can do. Right click the image and click on "Email Picture", and send it to yourself. It's a hassle, but at least you get it as a jpg or gif...
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 12:29 AM   #3
sdarken

The most common solution to this problem is to erase your temporary internet files.

Tools/Internet options/(general tab) click "Delete files"

There are a few more obscure solutions for this problem but this is the most common.

See this link from Microsoft for more information.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 12:49 AM   #4
dezevo
Member.

Yeeeeee haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!

You don't know how much that meant to me! Especially being a webmaster, that thing was an extreme pain in the butt!

Thank you so much!

Mwa! Mwa! Mwa!!!! **kissing your feet**
Oops, I slobbered....

As for you Vito - LMAO!!! Yeah, I know what you mean. Never thought of doing it like that though. I have "GetRight" so it gives me the adtional option of downloading the image, but its still a pain in the butt.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:01 AM   #5
Jan

Administrator

I have my temporary internet files reduced to 5 Mbs. The default they give you is ridiculous.

It may pay for you guys to reduce yours too, maybe not so extreme as mine, but it will save recurrent problems in the future.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:20 AM   #6
dezevo
Member.

LOL, yeah, I was meaning to set mine lower. Speaking of rediculous - mine was set at 900MB!!! I lowered it to 100MB. Man, just deleting all those temperary interent files almost stalled my computer!
Old 12-13-2001, 02:00 AM   #7
sdarken

Glad to help dezevo.

This is at least the second problem (maybe the 3rd) with IE that people have had recently which can be fixed by clearing the temporary internet files. I cant really understand the connection between the temporary internet files and these sorts of odd problems.

By the way, I would like to take credit for knowing the answer but really I just know how to use Google Groups. You can find the answer to almost any technical problem just by visiting this site. In my opinion it is the single most useful resource on the internet. It has given me the answer to hundreds of problems. For your particular problem I just searched for "ie save bmp" and up popped the answer.

Last edited by sdarken; 12-13-2001 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:04 AM   #8
dezevo
Member.

LOL, well, you still saved my life

And yeah, I really can't figure out why the temp internet files would have anythign to do with that either!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:42 AM   #9
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Simon, I wouldn't go so far as to say you saved my life, but you might have saved my sanity this morning. (And we all know how fragile that is!)

*smooch*
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:05 PM   #10
sdarken

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhea
You might have saved my sanity this morning
I far as I can recall, that's the first time anyone has thanked me for saving their sanity although there have been plenty of situations where I have been identified as the cause of temporary loss of sanity.

Last edited by sdarken; 11-21-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:01 PM   #11
MarkBerger

thanks I had the same issue
MarkBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:05 AM   #12
Just some Webjunky

mine was set to 2435 megs for temporary niternet storage, ha ha ha.
Just some Webjunky is offline   Reply With Quote